Peter King: Thoughts from Cowboys-Chargers Practices

Wolfpack

Reaction score
RS12;4679255 said:
The propper response was poor drafting in the past left the team with multiple holes. Both positions needed to be addressed.

Ding Ding! You have a special teams draft and you will pay for it later. Short sighted V2.0.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
TheSport78;4679213 said:
We could've at least drafted one...

I don't have a major problem with Dallas not drafting one. The draft isn't about getting every player you want/need.

Free agency is where you do that, and Dallas had the money to make a play for a center. I think the main reason the Cowboys didn't is because they picked up two guards they liked more than any other team did and felt Costa would improve with the bigger bodies next to him.

I don't endorse that plan, but Dallas obviously believes in it ... and Costa.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;4679349 said:
And the $7 mil number is bogus because from the middle of April until June 1st the Cowboys had diddley-pooh for cap space. The big reason they have so much now is because Newman was released on June 1st.

Cap space wasn't and isn't an issue. The Cowboys had plenty of ways to create the necessary room, just ask Stephen Jones.

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
RT @JGaydoscik: Thoughts on why Jones refuses to upgrade at center and add veteran receiver? ... Can't do it all in 1 offseason.
Like I've said all along; we're only in year 2 of a 3 year rebuilding plan.

CowboyChris

Reaction score
Cowboys22;4679290 said:
There were several centers available in free agency this year buts that's not really the point. The only reason to argue that you can't do it all in one year is because of the cap. If you have $7 million in cap space then that arguement makes no sense at all, does it?

several centers available? like who? the ones who were available are still out there.

dadymat

I'm kind of a Big Deal
Reaction score
burmafrd;4679339 said:
someone else who convienently forgot all about Romo getting worked last season
19 Sacks in December alone

When you have a franchize QB your FIRST duty is to see to it that he has decent protection.

thus bring in a new o line coach and let him work.....im sure they gave him what he said he needed within the realm of possibility...

popp1234

Reaction score
Risen Star;4679216 said:
The proper response is you start with the most important issues and that wasn't CB.

I agree with a lot of your thoughts regarding the 'Boys, but for the life of me (and I have read all of your posts relative to the big nasties/CB debate), I cannot understand why you still maintain that CB was not the most important need this off season.

By no means am I minimizing the need to solidify the online, but the back-end was a more pressing need. This team failed down the stretch because of the secondary, not because of the online. In the majority of games, we scored enough points to win. We just could not protect a lead. :stars pin

jrumann59

Reaction score
Risen Star;4679216 said:
The proper response is you start with the most important issues and that wasn't CB.

Your right it was our O-Line getting burned for touchdowns against the Giants last year. I forgot, thanks for reminding me.

jjktkk

Reaction score
Risen Star;4679216 said:

Sorry, you made a typo. You typed CB, instead of OL.

Red Dragon

Reaction score
After seeing the Cowboys score 34 points on their way to a 34-22 lead over the Giants - and Romo having a terrific game - only to see the defense promptly surrender 15 points to the Giants, thus leading to the defeat.........................how could anyone possibly call the secondary a lower priority than the offensive line?

Clearly the quality of the offensive line didn't prevent the Cowboys from getting that 34-22 lead over the Giants.

Red Dragon

Reaction score
Once again, if the Cowboys had drafted an offensive lineman, there would be people complaining that the Cowboys were neglecting the defense, and that "Defense wins championships!"

Some fans will never be happy.

popp1234

Reaction score
Cowboys&LakersFan;4679751 said:
The two fanbases I'm apart of the most spoiled on the planet. Ridiculous.

Lol. You crazy man. You are absolutely right, but remember, you have to have experienced success to be spoiled. Consider yourself one lucky fan. :)

By the way, how the heck did you end up with THAT combination(Cowboys/Lakers)? Just curious.

randy932

Reaction score
burmafrd;4679339 said:
someone else who convienently forgot all about Romo getting worked last season
19 Sacks in December alone

When you have a franchize QB your FIRST duty is to see to it that he has decent protection.

We have a decent QB. Not a "Franchise" QB.

BoyGenius

Reaction score
Risen Star;4679216 said:

Yeah if you watched the Dallas Cowboys play football last season, clearly you could tell CB was their #1 issue. They have won games with an inferior line before. They were up in games last season despite their offensive line, but that pass defense killed them. Literally killed them. No other way around it.

BoyGenius

Reaction score
Red Dragon;4679737 said:
After seeing the Cowboys score 34 points on their way to a 34-22 lead over the Giants - and Romo having a terrific game - only to see the defense promptly surrender 15 points to the Giants, thus leading to the defeat.........................how could anyone possibly call the secondary a lower priority than the offensive line?

Clearly the quality of the offensive line didn't prevent the Cowboys from getting that 34-22 lead over the Giants.

Exactly bro. They can survive & even win with an inferior offensive line as long as they have a competent defense. Romo can put up points despite his line & Dallas offensive scheme often offsets their deficiencies.

But it doesn't matter when their opponents can pass the ball seemingly at will. I know this is just speculation, but I think if Dallas had Brandon Carr & Morris Claiborne in their secondary in 2011 they easily win 10+ games despite their inferior protection. Easily.

sago1

Reaction score
I do agree with the drafting of Claiborne. Results in the playoffs & SB almost always confirms any team hoping to won must have a top, aggresive defense. But a good offense is also vital. Cowboys most valuable player is Romo by virtual of his being the QB. Yet Jones and others willing risk losing him because of their inability/refusal to upgrade the OL.

This has been a continuing problem as far back as 1997. Remember watching Cowboys vs the Bears and Madden commented that if the Cowboys didn't seriously upgrade their OL that Aikman's career would end earier & we all saw that happen. Problem has continued to the present. Romo is best QB we've had since Aikman. Yet our OL appears to be the weak link. What does it matter if Romo can't put lots of points on the board cause he has a crumpy pocket/protection around him. What good is Miles, Dez, Witten and Murray if the OL can't protect Romo or open holes for Murray.

Don't understand why we couldn't hae signed a vet FA to start, just in case our projected starter wasn't healthy or couldn't get the job done. Could it be that Jerry has given up/sacrificing this current Cowboy team/offense and the future is still way down the road?

alancdc

Reaction score
dallasfan4lizife;4679226 said:
I agree that our o-line is in need of an upgrade...but c'mon

who would we have at CB to start the season if we didn't make CB a priority?

Scandrick, CJ wilson, and mario butler...lmao

Exactly, we lost last year becasue we couldn't cover not because of center, although it was a problem, not the biggest problem.

CoCo

Reaction score
Cowboys22;4679211 said:
I hate the argument that you can't do it all in one season. That may true if you are tight against the cap but that excuse falls very flat when a team has $7 million in current cap space. They have plenty of room for a real center.

That is a weak argument by itself as you say.

On the other hand have you mapped out our cap space for the next few years including escalating contracts and upcoming free agents? Managing the cap is not a one year deal.