Peyton Manning is Over Rated

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
I am so sick and tired of hearing everyone say he is the best QB in the league. I don't really care about his stats and numbers, he chokes in the playoffs. In order to be the "Best" QB in the league you need to be the most balanced QB in my opinion. A good arm and half decent scrambling abilities makes the best passer in the league. I'd rather have Big Ben as my QB over Peyton Manning, Heck I'd rather have his little brother Eli. Eli will continue to mature and eventually win more games than his brother Peyton because he can scramble as well as pass...

NinePointOh

Reaction score
It's tough to be overrated when EVERYBODY says you stink because you can't win the big game.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
For Real?

Most people say Vick is the most overrated player in the NFL even though he has the 3rd highest winning percentage of any current Quarterback not named Donovan Mcnabb or Tom Brady.

I have said from the beginning, I take Tom Brady over Peyton Manning any day of the week.

But you better be careful, Old Pappa Manning may go off on you like he did Mr. Terry Bradshaw.

- Mike G.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
mickgreen58 said:
For Real?

Most people say Vick is the most overrated player in the NFL even though he has the 3rd highest winning percentage of any current Quarterback not named Donovan Mcnabb or Tom Brady.

I have said from the beginning, I take Tom Brady over Peyton Manning any day of the week.

But you better be careful, Old Pappa Manning may go off on you like he did Mr. Terry Bradshaw.

- Mike G.

Vick and Manning need to give back that big money so they can get some help, Troy did it.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
mickgreen58 said:
For Real?

- Mike G.

I'm one who thinks Vick is over rated because his passing ablilties are not very good. As an athlete I think Vick is the best in the NFL but as a QB I'm not overly impressed at this stage. Having said that I also think he can still improve but at this time I don't think he is as good as all the hype he gets would suggest. As for his winning percentage? that is Atlanta winning percentage and guys like Warrick Dunn have as much to do with that winning percentage as anyone on the atl team.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
ELDudearino said:
Vick and Manning need to give back that big money so they can get some help, Troy did it.

True.

Also...

Michael Vick needs to spend the offseason working on his pocket passing and accuracy.

And

Peyton Manning should really think about giving up some of his duties on Offense, clearly, the guy has the power to run the entire show on offense, if he chooses.

I would take both of them in a heartbeat, but if I had my pick of all Quarterbacks playing currently, I would go with Tom Brady.

Im not so sure Jake Delhomme wouldnt be next on the list.

- Mike G.

Canadian BoyzFan

Reaction score
Whatever you think of him. There isn't one sane Cowboy that wouldn't want him here.

Over-rated..yeah maybe.
Good QB...you bet he is.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
As for his winning percentage? that is Atlanta winning percentage and guys like Warrick Dunn have as much to do with that winning percentage as anyone on the atl team.

Man, you really have to take your dislike/like out of the equation when rating a particular equation.

With your quote, that has been highlighted, you can say the same thing for Peyton Manning.

Or did Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne, Edge, Dewight Freeney, Mike Doss, Tony Dungy and Dallas Clarke not contribute.

Peyton Manning is overrated in big games. He is like a deer in headlights and cannot seem to overcome teams with good defenses, which, unless the NFL, as a whole is having a bad year, you are going to face as you get closer and closer to the Vince Lombardi Trophy.

I think Manning and Vick are both overrated for different reasons.....

- Mike G.

jksmith269

Proud Navy Veteran 1990-1995
Reaction score
Manning is the best QB by far in the NFL. His problem is he calls his own plays on offense. Not the OC like every other team and I think that gets to him in the big games. Also if you notice the teams he has the most trouble with are the ones that run the 34. If I where the OC when playing 34D's I'd call the plays not manning.

FYI Marino who is known as the BEST QB ever also chocked in the big games does that mean he's not the best QB ever? No

Ben is a decent QB with a great team around him.

I think Eli will be a good QB but IMO the jury is still out on him. Next season will tell all for his future.

EDIT: Vick is the most over rated QB in History.... His passes are very rarely on target normally they are way high and exposes the receiver going to catch the ball. He's lucky to have Crumpler or he would suck even worse. Also their Defense keeps them in the games....I'd take Matt Schaub the back up over Vick any day...

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Canadian BoyzFan said:
Whatever you think of him. There isn't one sane Cowboy that wouldn't want him here.

Over-rated..yeah maybe.
Good QB...you bet he is.

I agree and watching the Colts game against Pitt, Manning was not the only one having a bad day the Colts line got manhandled through out that game. I give a lot of credit to the Steelers who went into the game with a great plan and executed it perfectly.

kojak

Who Loves Ya Baby?
Reaction score
Yeah Peyton Manning was the one who booted that FG 40 foot wide right of the post. I guess that explains why it was such a horrible kick then.....

InDakWeTrust

DezBRomo9
Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
I agree and watching the Colts game against Pitt, Manning was not the only one having a bad day the Colts line got manhandled through out that game. I give a lot of credit to the Steelers who went into the game with a great plan and executed it perfectly.

And they will choke again in the AFC championship game like they have done for the past 10 years.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
mickgreen58 said:
Man, you really have to take your dislike/like out of the equation when rating a particular equation.

With your quote, that has been highlighted, you can say the same thing for Peyton Manning.

Or did Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne, Edge, Dewight Freeney, Mike Doss, Tony Dungy and Dallas Clarke not contribute.

Peyton Manning is overrated in big games. He is like a deer in headlights and cannot seem to overcome teams with good defenses, which, unless the NFL, as a whole is having a bad year, you are going to face as you get closer and closer to the Vince Lombardi Trophy.

I think Manning and Vick are both overrated for different reasons.....

- Mike G.

Let just say I would take Manning over Vick any day of the week in large part because of his ability in the passing game I expect an NFL QB to be able to throw the ball and do so with consistency. I do agree that a large part of Manning success is the people around him, see I have never credited Manning for the Colts wins. I look at wins as a team accomplishment not an individual accomplish. As for Manning not being able to overcome a good defense I did not see too many on the colts team who were able to overcome the Pitt defense and while Manning has to share in the loss he was not the only reason for the loss.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
joshjwc9 said:
And they will choke again in the AFC championship game like they have done for the past 10 years.

Yes the Colts choked, they clearly were unable to provide protection and even on the check downs the Steelers defense was Johnny on the spot in stopping the play as soon as the catch was made. Manning clearly share in the blame as well but again if you watched the game and all you came away with is Manning choked then I'm guessing we did not watch the same game because the loss went well beyond Manning alone.

kojak

Who Loves Ya Baby?
Reaction score
Everybody seems to be overrated these days. Next week(depending on who wins the games) the board will be filled with "Cowher is overrated and will never win the big one".

"Jake Plummer is overrated and chokes in big games","Shanahan still hasn't won anything without Elway(the guy who was labeled a choke artist and now considered one of the best QB's of all time).

"Holgrem still can't get it done without Farve" ect,ect,ect,..... You get my drift.

I know it's a forum and people are going to express there views. But these are teams/coaches/players who at least put there teams in the playoffs and in the position to win the SB. I would take that anyday of the week and twice on sunday as opposed to watching other teams have that luxury.

If you wish to overrate, then do so with our own coach. After 3 years, 1 playoff birth, never have finished higher than 2nd in the division, with a whopping record of 25-24. He is rewarded with a pay raise and a contract extension. Now that is Overrated!!

neosapien23

Reaction score
Peyton Manning is not overrated. For some reason though he chokes in the playoffs. Its true that his protection was breaking down, but he still missed alot of recievers that were wide open. Peyton is a great quarterback and he will be an early HOF when it is all said and done.

TLW47

Reaction score
I hate the word "choker". I'm sure Peyton didn't or doesn't want to lose those games. He has won big games. Didn't they beat NE in NE this year?

Sometimes you just get beat. The Steelers had a little bit to do with his poor play this last weekend and the Colts STILL had a chance to tie and then go to win.

neosapien23

Reaction score
TLW47 said:
I hate the word "choker". I'm sure Peyton didn't or doesn't want to lose those games. He has won big games. Didn't they beat NE in NE this year?

Sometimes you just get beat. The Steelers had a little bit to do with his poor play this last weekend and the Colts STILL had a chance to tie and then go to win.

New England was severely hampered when they played Indy. That had alot of starters that were still healing. The Steeler should have had the ball as soon as Peyton threw that pick. The numer 1 team got beat by the 6th team. The whole offense choked period. The Colts made history last weak and not in a good way.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
I don't care what anybody says, EVERYTHING changed for the Colts when Dungy's son killed himself.

It changed every player and coaches perspective of what they were doing.

Which is understandable.

There is no way that any one in that organization was not affected by it.

I think that is why they came out in the first quarter and played like they weren't sure what football was.

They were not ready for the level of intensity necessary to play NFL playoff caliber football.

Calicowboy

Reaction score
After all is said is done, this over rated QB can now only be measured by how many Super Bowl rings he delivers.

He'll be 30 by the time the season starts. I believe he'll have his ring by the time he retires.

I believe he is a little over rated, only because the great ones are clutch in clutch situations. Still doesnt discount what he does for 16 games in a season.

Elway had the same dilema