Peyton Manning is Over Rated

joseephuss

Reaction score
John Elway had Bobby Humphrey for his last Superbowl loss. In that 1989 game, Humphrey was having a decent game. Elway had a bad game and the defense was horrible against the 49ers. Humphrey had a good rookie season in 89 and then followed that up with a pro-bowl season in 1990. After that he fell apart. I think he got injured before going to Miami. He could never get revved up with the Dolphins and only played 1 season.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
My immediate reaction is to dismiss this post. However, there is some merit to this. I think Manning is the type that doesn't like to deal with a lot of adversity. Hear me out. He wants to win easily and smoothly. As of now, he is not really a competitor. A competitor is someone who can start a game poorly and compensate it for it later in the game. The best QB's didn't quit if they started a game poorly which Manning seems to do. He doesn't have that ability to forget his mistakes and move on.

I think part of this problem is Tony Dungy. I have a tremendous respect for Tony Dungy as a strategist and playcaller. I respect that he treats his players with respect and doesn't yell at them. But a good coach has to know when to yell at his players and stir up some emotion.

Tampa Bay won the Superbowl because of Gruden. Gruden took Dungy's players and added a swagger and sense of confidence and cockiness they lacked under Dungy. I think Manning needs some swagger. Aikman, Elway and Montana were all competitors. Even if they were down, they didn't consider themselves out of the game. Manning has had this problem since college. Even at Tennessee, he couldn't beat Florida and he never played well when they were down early in a game. I think Manning will eventually overcome this and become tougher with age.

joseephuss

Reaction score
mr.jameswoods said:
My immediate reaction is to dismiss this post. However, there is some merit to this. I think Manning is the type that doesn't like to deal with a lot of adversity. Hear me out. He wants to win easily and smoothly. As of now, he is not really a competitor. A competitor is someone who can start a game poorly and compensate it for it later in the game. The best QB's didn't quit if they started a game poorly which Manning seems to do. He doesn't have that ability to forget his mistakes and move on.

I think part of this problem is Tony Dungy. I have a tremendous respect for Tony Dungy as a strategist and playcaller. I respect that he treats his players with respect and doesn't yell at them. But a good coach has to know when to yell at his players and stir up some emotion.

Tampa Bay won the Superbowl because of Gruden. Gruden took Dungy's players and added a swagger and sense of confidence and cockiness they lacked under Dungy. I think Manning needs some swagger. Aikman, Elway and Montana were all competitors. Even if they were down, they didn't consider themselves out of the game. Manning has had this problem since college. Even at Tennessee, he couldn't beat Florida and he never played well when they were down early in a game. I think Manning will eventually overcome this and become tougher with age.

That is a good assessment. I think Dungy's problem is that he hires guys that are similar to him. That is what appears like. He needs to hire assistant coaches that are the butt whoopers. Those contrasting styles would probably do well in Indy. Landry had assistant coaches in that mold. He kept the composure and they yelled and motivated.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
In order to be the "Best" QB in the league you need to be the most balanced QB in my opinion. A good arm and half decent scrambling abilities makes the best passer in the league.

EVERYONE OVER LOOKED THESE TWO SENTENCES AND MISSED MY POINT.

My opinion and subject for debate was balance. Peyton has the most accurate arm I've ever heard of but he lacks mobility when needed, ie playoffs and pressure.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
ELDudearino said:

My opinion and subject for debate was balance. Peyton has the most accurate arm I've ever heard of but he lacks mobility when needed, ie playoffs and pressure.

if you want balance see tom brady...and jake delhomme for that matter

peyton has decent pocket presence, which is more important than speed

You make a great point about balance though...look at championship QBS

Elway, montana, young, favre..maybe even aikman

they wouldnt be considered scrambling QBs really, but when they had to they could gain 5 yards rushing for a 1st down on 3rd in the 4th quarter, keep a play alive and complete a pass

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
ELDudearino said:

Troy Aikman was as immobile as Manning and he won 3 Superbowls. Tom Brady doesn't appear terribly mobile either. You think Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer were mobile when they won their Superbowls? It's not his lack of mobility that is the problem but his decision making at times. He takes risks and forces passes that he shouldn't at times. Manning tends to panic. If he can control that, he will do well.

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
leonargized said:
Yes I do think P.Manning is not what he is cracked up to be and No I would not want him on the Cowboys , because my goal is to win the big one and what is his playoff record 3-6 or 3-7

You must really hate Drew Bledsoe then.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Charles said:
I have been saying for years that Peyton Manning is a one dimensional QB. He is great in his dimension.........passing........like Dan Fouts, Marino, Elway and Troy.

Once he plays better or elite defenses, they are talented enough to limit his strenghts..........

Complete QBs like Elway, Staubach etc had the ability to improvise. Run.....run .......run ...........that is why they were complete QBs.

:hammer:

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Bach said:

I have more respect for Bledsoe, He ignores the pressure most of the time and gets hammered after making a pass. Manning clearly panicks...

Cowboy Junkie

leonargized
Reaction score
Bach said:

I do not Hate P.Manning....I just do not see the same guy in playoff games that I see in the regular season....I think it is foolish for fans to make excuses for him.....

Bledsoe is not sucking up the cap space that P.Manning is ....
If anything Bledsoe is underrated , I rarley hear a good comment on Bledsoe.
Bledsoe's playoff record has to be better than Mannings....

Cowboy Junkie

leonargized
Reaction score
ELDudearino said:
I have more respect for Bledsoe, He ignores the pressure most of the time and gets hammered after making a pass. Manning clearly panicks...

Thank you

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
mr.jameswoods said:
Troy Aikman was as immobile as Manning and he won 3 Superbowls.

I guess you didn't see that game where he dived over the defenders for a TD:laugh2:

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
Manning is a very good QB...But what bothers me about him is when things get tough and are going bad he always seems to be such a whiner...On the sidelines and after the game in interviews.

I didn't like how he reacted after the game...With the I want to be a good teammate but we did have protection problems thing.

And another thing...Stop with the stupid audibles or fake ones all the time.

It seems like he can NEVER just go up to the line and run the play...He's always screwing around!

Little things...But they bug me about him.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
ConcordCowboy said:
Manning is a very good QB...But what bothers me about him is when things get tough and are going bad he always seems to be such a whiner...On the sidelines and after the game in interviews.

I didn't like how he reacted after the game...With the I want to be a good teammate but we did have protection problems thing.

And another thing...Stop with the stupid audibles or fake ones all the time.

It seems like he can NEVER just go up to the line and run the play...He's always screwing around!

Little things...But they bug me about him.

Best Post of the post season:bow:

Cowboy Junkie

leonargized
Reaction score
mr.jameswoods said:
Troy Aikman was as immobile as Manning and he won 3 Superbowls. Tom Brady doesn't appear terribly mobile either. You think Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer were mobile when they won their Superbowls? It's not his lack of mobility that is the problem but his decision making at times. He takes risks and forces passes that he shouldn't at times. Manning tends to panic. If he can control that, he will do well.

The first half of Troy's career he was not immoble , he was no Randall Cuningham , but hardly immoble...

I do not think being or not being moble is Peytons problems in the playoffs.
I think he just gets flustered and I think he really wants to avoid getting hit at all cost....I think he in his flustered state is not getting the ball to the correct people....He also gets a little of the dancing feet....

Simple as that....

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
He's a very good QB, but he has too much control over that organization. The Colts would have been better off if they would have featured Edge, the running game and a more conservative attack in the playoffs, but I doubt anyone even has the temerity to bring that up in that franchise. Certainly the head coach doesn't. That much is painfully obvious when Peyton is rejecting the punt team off the field and practically doing the Mutumbo finger wag in Dungy's face.

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
leonargized said:
Also I have never heard Bledsoe call out his team , just because he could not get the job done.

What's that have to do with your goal of winning the big one which is what the post was about?

Cowboy Junkie

leonargized
Reaction score
Bach said:
What's that have to do with your goal of winning the big one which is what the post was about?

Last time I checked football is a team game and Peyton is the QB(leader) of that team...
Do good leaders look to pass the blame when they fail or do they take reposibility...
When the pressures of the playoffs are in effect , that is when the leader is needed most .
wouldn't you agree?