PFF: DLaw projected new contract, 6 years, $126M, $60M guaranteed

Verdict

Reaction score
I guess you have to spell it out for everyone so they don't come back with you with silly comments.

So you plan on replacing Tank in the draft THIS year without a 1st round pick - good luck! How many years before Tank was this good?

Tank was a second round pick. I'm not sure why people believe he can't be replaced. While it is doubtful that a rookie can replace his current level of production, is it unreasonable to assume that Gregory and/or Armstrong (or even Taco) may make a leap forward this year?

If you could get a dominant DT (finally) it would make every other DL player look better.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
We will resign tank. He’s come into his own last few years. Biggest thing to me he’s made players around him better. Can’t stress that enough

Verdict

Reaction score
I have NO IDEA what the team will do. Any of the foregoing:

1. Sign and overpay?
2. Make him play under the tag?
3. Tag and trade?

Unfortunately the least likely scanario would be the best option:

4. Get him to pay for reasonable money. (I don't think that's likely at all).

$17 M was a LOT to pay for Tank this year. Now some of you expect us to pay him $23M per year? I guess it's possible. Just put me down as saying for that amount of money the risk is far too great for the potential reward.

conner01

Reaction score
I guess you have to spell it out for everyone so they don't come back with you with silly comments.

So you plan on replacing Tank in the draft THIS year without a 1st round pick - good luck! How many years before Tank was this good?
Every year teams draft pass rushers. They dominate first rnd picks. Most never become double digit sack guys
There is usually a couple “can’t miss” pass rushers but they go fast
If the answer is the draft it should have been the taco pick. And I’m sure that’s what they were thinking but like many pass rusher picks, it hasn’t panned out

Vanilla2

Reaction score
Dez was elite athletically until he wasn't anymore. The injuries took that away.

I think he still could’ve produced had he not lost his mind.

Wasn’t playing with a full deck, but Green Bay just took everything he had away

conner01

Reaction score
Tank was a second round pick. I'm not sure why people believe he can't be replaced. While it is doubtful that a rookie can replace his current level of production, is it unreasonable to assume that Gregory and/or Armstrong (or even Taco) may make a leap forward this year?

If you could get a dominant DT (finally) it would make every other DL player look better.
I’d rather not trust my pass rush to HOPE Gregory stays clean, Taco decides to be a player or Armstrong turns into a monster
I think tank will cost 20 mil a yr. and I’ll gladly pay it to keep him

Verdict

Reaction score
I think he still could’ve produced had he not lost his mind.

Wasn’t playing with a full deck, but Green Bay just took everything he had away

I don't know what happened but it's safe to say he fell off of a cliff. I think him "getting paid" may have killed his drive to succeed.

Verdict

Reaction score
I’d rather not trust my pass rush to HOPE Gregory stays clean, Taco decides to be a player or Armstrong turns into a monster
I think tank will cost 20 mil a yr. and I’ll gladly pay it to keep him

That's a reasonable conclusion to draw. But man, $20m in ONE player that has already been suspended for PEDs, has tailed off every year and who has suffered some sort of injury almost every year---- that's a risk too.

Verdict

Reaction score
Every year teams draft pass rushers. They dominate first rnd picks. Most never become double digit sack guys
There is usually a couple “can’t miss” pass rushers but they go fast
If the answer is the draft it should have been the taco pick. And I’m sure that’s what they were thinking but like many pass rusher picks, it hasn’t panned out

So far that's true. Taco sucks as a pass rusher. But he's pretty solid against the run. Is it worth $17 million more per year for 7 more sacks (maybe). IDK. None of us can see the future.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I have NO IDEA what the team will do. Any of the foregoing:

1. Sign and overpay?
2. Make him play under the tag?
3. Tag and trade?

Unfortunately the least likely scanario would be the best option:

4. Get him to pay for reasonable money. (I don't think that's likely at all).

$17 M was a LOT to pay for Tank this year. Now some of you expect us to pay him $23M per year? I guess it's possible. Just put me down as saying for that amount of money the risk is far too great for the potential reward.
Tag and Trade

Save 120m and get a stud rookie if done by the Draft

Draft1 + EThomas + BGraham + Jared Cook OR DLawrence

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
While it is doubtful that a rookie can replace his current level of production, is it unreasonable to assume that Gregory and/or Armstrong (or even Taco) may make a leap forward this year?

Yes, that's completely unreasonable. Lawrence is producing on the level or Miller and Mack. You're not going to be able to replace that production outside signing another elite free agent who is going to cost the same or selling out multiple drafts to pick Bosa or another top edge.

conner01

Reaction score
That's a reasonable conclusion to draw. But man, $20m in ONE player that has already been suspended for PEDs, has tailed off every year and who has suffered some sort of injury almost every year---- that's a risk too.
I would put language in the contract to protect me against a suspension. I think that’s a reasonable precaution. I felt tagging him last year was the right move because of that and injuries. But he played very well and it’s more than just sacks, and he’s good against the run
I think most players are over paid but that’s the market and the only way to not have to keep your best is have a guy in waiting. I think that’s why they took Taco and I still have hope he can become atleast a solid player but he didn’t help himself much this year

vlad

Reaction score
Of course you pay him. Guys like him don't grow on trees. You don't pay the Byron's of the world. I'd rather pay him than a guard.

cern

Reaction score
What would the pats do? Nothing will make a team do something stupid more than being desperate to win. That's where we are. Stay grounded, Stephen. I don't believe tank's the secret sauce.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score

People that is a PROJECTION by a group that will not be in on the negotiations and is pure guesswork. To many people take what groups like this and what "insiders" say as gospel when none of them are ever in the actual offices during any negotiations.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
What would the pats do? Nothing will make a team do something stupid more than being desperate to win. That's where we are. Stay grounded, Stephen. I don't believe tank's the secret sauce.

Here's what people like you miss. Lawrence is better than any DE the Cowboys have now or could draft this draft. So it comes down to paying for your best DE or making the defensive line worse by letting him walk and possibly have to watch him sack Prescott and stuff Elliott twice a season.