PFF: DLaw projected new contract, 6 years, $126M, $60M guaranteed

aikemirv

Reaction score
My theory - pay guys who are not replaceable.

Tank is not replaceable , neither in the draft or from our roster.

Nor by our schemeing.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dez was elite. Athletically.

Mentally he was not.

That no catch call in gb got in his head and his mental fragility got in the way of everything he did. Imo.

90 is different.

I feel he brings the dogg mentality we as a board say we want.

He should not be allowed to get away
Dez was elite athletically until he wasn't anymore. The injuries took that away.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
At that price, I would consider any and all trade offers. a) A late first or b) early second with a late round pick added would be enough for me to say yes. Too many eggs in one DE basket for my liking.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
At that price, I would consider any and all trade offers. a) A late first or b) early second with a late round pick added would be enough for me to say yes. Too many eggs in one DE basket for my liking.

Well, make that move you'll have a lot of good draft picks coming to you upcoming drafts.

Reaction score
Closer than you may think.
I'm pretty confident that if you ask most objective observers who understand and study the game, especially d-line play, they will tell you that Lawrence is a very good player. But he is not Khalil Mack, Aaron Donald or Von Miller. They are top tier.

Lawrence is definitely in the second group. That's not a knock on Lawrence. He's very good, but not elite.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
I'm pretty confident that if you ask most objective observers who understand and study the game, especially d-line play, they will tell you that Lawrence is a very good player. But he is not Khalil Mack, Aaron Donald or Von Miller. They are top tier.

Lawrence is definitely in the second group. That's not a knock on Lawrence. He's very good, but not elite.

Go peep the stats for the past two years. Tell me which category Mack and Miller are heads above Lawrence. You also have to look who's on the entire D-line. I'm not saying he's better than Miller and Mack, but I don't think the disparity is massive.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score

I mean, who else are you putting in that second group? Lawrence is a lot closer to Mack and Miller than he is Danielle Hunter and Frank Clark.

ccb04

Reaction score
They definitely need to work to keep D-Law. That said, perhaps open negotiations with examples of Everson Griffen & Daniel Hunter's production and contracts. From 2014-2017...Griffen had double-digit sacks in 3 out of 4 seasons, and also had 7 forced fumbles over that time. Hunter has 40 sacks over his first 4 seasons, hitting double-digit sacks twice. Players like Mack & Donald have defensive player of the year accolades under their belts, not to mention what Donald does from an interior position. As good as he is, Tank isn't on that level. There's also the injury concerns. He'll definitely get paid though...if not by the Cowboys, someone will meet his price. Hopefully, that price isn't as crazy as what PFF is projecting.

Hunter: 5 year/$72 million ($40 million guaranteed)

Griffen: 4 years/$58 million ($34 million guaranteed)

Praxit

Reaction score
..that means he's better than Donald.. lol.. The Jones back it again. Giving away money like it grows on trees.

Reaction score
Go peep the stats for the past two years. Tell me which category Mack and Miller are heads above Lawrence. You also have to look who's on the entire D-line. I'm not saying he's better than Miller and Mack, but I don't think the disparity is massive.
You also have to take into account his history of back and shoulder injuries. Hopefully his shoulder is now fixed, but you never know about back injuries.

And yes, his previous PED suspension also matters.

Has Lawrence ever been named All Pro? Perhaps last year. I know Mack, Miller and Donald have. Multiple times.

Nobody is talking about giving him chump change. It's not like $17M-$19M is chicken feed. He made $17M this year. I say given everything in totality, the good and not so good. $17M-$19M is fair.

And the Cowboys need an easy out after 3 or 4 years, especially in case his back keeps giving him trouble.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
You can make the argument that you don't want to spend that on a DL, but that number is right in line with the market.

Assuming a cap of $185 next year, Lawrence, at $21m, would be 11.35%. At $190, which isn't impossible, it's 11.05%.

Aaron Donald - 22.5/177 = 12.7%
Khalil Mack - 13.5/177 = 13.3%
Von Miller - 19/155 = 12.2%
JJ Watt - 16.7/143 = 11.7%
Olivier Vernon - 17/155 = 10.9%
Chandler Jones - 16.5/167 = 9.8%
Jason Pierre Paul - 15.5/167 = 9.2%

These numbers all skew a bit b/c of signing bonuses and cap gymnastics, but 11.35% is perfectly in line for where Lawrence should be. It's right below the truly elite players, but above the Vernons and JPPs of the world. I think the only one you point to that would, by any measure, pull Lawrence's number down is Chandler Jones, but that's outweighed by JPP and Vernon.

this^^^^^

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Miller and Donald may set the market, but in no way Lawrence is on their level. He's not nearly the game wrecker these 2 guys are.

No way Lawrence should be getting Miller, Donald or Mack money. He's not those guys.

Miller's contract is 2-3 years old.....pretty sure that reason he will make more under a 2019 deal.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Where did we get Lawrence?

The draft?

Oh.
This is a totally great point if you ignore Taco Charlton and every other first-round DL who hasn't turned into Lawrence, and the fact that you can't expect even blue chip to have the same impact as Lawrence until at least year 2.

Unless you're trying to rebuild and not all in next year, you pay Lawrence.