PFF ranks every team's 2024 RBs unit (1 - 32)

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I don't have a lot of confidence in our run game for 2 reasons - Players and scheme. Didn't upgrade our running back room and are relying on an older Zeke and some unproven youngsters. MAYBE we get some improvement out of our run game because of the change up on the OL (I liked trying to upgrade the center spot as I felt like that was our weak area). Same coordinator so I doubt the blocking scheme will change much. Same scheme with equal to less RB with equal to more OL = roughly same results. Now if we can change up/improve our blocking scheme and improve/strengthen the interior blocking (center), then maybe, just maybe we can get by with our RBBC approach. Between this and not adding more beef to DT, we will underperform in the 2 most vital areas when it counts the most.
Actually, the scheme better fits these players and perhaps these linemen. Last year when we switched to McCarthy's scheme, for some reason we wanted to use primarily an inside zone running game. We didn't have the lead back for that since Pollard is more of an outside guy and frankly, our blocking was not good enough. Elliott and Freeman are both between-the-tackles runners and if we don't have to kick Tyler out to LT, the interior line should be a strength if Beebe can make a successful transition to center. That would put a lot of power in the middle for the backs to run behind. I still don't know why we didn't primarily run an outside zone blocking scheme last year considering Pollard's strength was operating in space. We did use outside zone and duo, but not as much as the previous year and certainly not as much as we needed to with a back who thrives on the edge.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
The Cowboys were a bottom 10 rushing team in 2023 with a franchise tagged RB.
So rated last is what it is.
Dallas is spending a whopping 8M in cap space for their entire RB room.
I'd rather be ranked 32nd than paying a franchise tag to still suck.
We avg'd 4.1 YPC so Zeke doesn't have far to drag it down....

PFF might have waited to see if Deuce was even listed at RB anymore....

Like a lot of fans I really hoped they'd have grabbed an R3 RB but the Marist kid is already turning heads at LB.
And I'd take Cooper Beebe over ANY RB in this draft class. Just an insane steal.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I think OL and run blocking plays a major role in the RB production .

Lastyear our OL run blockingsucked due to personnel and scheme or a mix. Hopefully with young blood infusion this will improve.

Nothing against Tyron and Zack but their run blocking days a bit in the rear view mirror .

So I wont be surprised the RB comittee ends up in the middle of pack as far as production is concerned.
it is about coaching, game plans, schemes, play calling,and innovation. Cowboys suck at all of those !

Chasing6

Reaction score

Like a lot of fans I really hoped they'd have grabbed an R3 RB but the Marist kid is already turning heads at LB.
And I'd take Cooper Beebe over ANY RB in this draft class. Just an insane steal.
Next years draft is loaded at RB. So we will pick another TE.

speedkilz88

Reaction score

Deuce is still playing RB.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Without looking at the whole list I think the Raiders should be in contention for the 32nd spot over Dallas.

I mean do we even know who their running backs are now that Josh Jacobs is gone? At least Zeke has name recognition. :muttley:

NumOneQB

Reaction score
Only the blind homers defended the moves we made at running back this off season. Yes bringing Zeke back actually made us worse, and when he's getting the majority of the carries people will defend that too.
Reminds me of the year the FO realized they screwed up during the offseason and scrambled to get a WR after a few weeks and had to trade for Amari. How can an entire FO be ok with the running back group right now?

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Actually, the scheme better fits these players and perhaps these linemen. Last year when we switched to McCarthy's scheme, for some reason we wanted to use primarily an inside zone running game. We didn't have the lead back for that since Pollard is more of an outside guy and frankly, our blocking was not good enough. Elliott and Freeman are both between-the-tackles runners and if we don't have to kick Tyler out to LT, the interior line should be a strength if Beebe can make a successful transition to center. That would put a lot of power in the middle for the backs to run behind. I still don't know why we didn't primarily run an outside zone blocking scheme last year considering Pollard's strength was operating in space. We did use outside zone and duo, but not as much as the previous year and certainly not as much as we needed to with a back who thrives on the edge.
Could it be Tony and his one leg?

Instead of our All Pro /Pro Bowl OL?

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
The Cowboys' FO had better see to it that they add a good RB to that unit once the final cuts are implemented. Otherwise, they've failed quite miserably to serve this team's offseason nearly as well as they should have. I think many of us, as fans, are sorely disappointed it hasn't been attended to better than it has, as yet. Anyone who cares should see that as a major issue, if it fails to happen before the season gets underway.

Last edited:

Chasing6

Reaction score
So another great job coaching and asking Pollard to do something he is not good at. Sounds like the Mazi situation.

SackMaster

Reaction score
I was going to say, if another team's RB group is worse than the Cowboys .... wow.
:muttley:

speedkilz88

Reaction score
I was going to say, if another team's RB group is worse than the Cowboys .... wow.
:muttley:
The Chargers are praying that JK Dobbins can come back from an achilles injury backed up by Gus Edwards & Kamani Vidal. Patriots have Rhamondre Stevenson, Antonio Gibson, and JaMycal Hasty. So there are arguably worse in the nfl.

gimmesix

Reaction score
So another great job coaching and asking Pollard to do something he is not good at. Sounds like the Mazi situation.
Sometimes coaches get caught up in what they want to do even if it isn't the best fit for who they've got. I really think with Mazi that Quinn believed he had the explosive power to be a 3-tech, never mind that he's slow off the snap and didn't really display that in college despite testing well. I'm not sure what the thinking was with Pollard. He had shown some ability to run inside, but it keyed off his ability to really operate well in space, so when he was in the game, defenders had to worry about containing him off tackle. Last year, they weren't so worried about that because we ran him inside more. Now, there could have been a reason for that. Based on his own words, he wasn't back to form for the first half of the season. The coaches could have noticed that early and decided to not have him try to navigate space as much until he got his legs back. However, that just goes back to the poor job this front office does in filling needs. We had Pollard coming off a broken leg and a couple of UDFAs, and we not only let Elliott walk (and for what he was making and how his play was trending, that was understandable) but we didn't draft a back until the sixth round. We could have had De'Von Achane or Tyjae Spears, even with a trade down, if we hadn't been so dead-set on getting a tight end.

These coaches are not given what they need for their offenses and defenses to function at full capacity, so they make due, like Quinn using safeties at linebackers. His signings as head coach in Washington show that he'd prefer to have really qualified LBs, but that's not what he had to work with.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Could it be Tony and his one leg?

Instead of our All Pro /Pro Bowl OL?
I think it was a combination. Martin's play was down a little, Steele was slow to come off injury and regain even his run-blocking form. Biadasz's play slipped in the new run scheme. Pollard struggled to come back from his leg injury. And the new inside running scheme wasn't a good fit for him.