News: PFT: A delayed suspension for Ezekiel Elliott is hardly out of the question

Reaction score
I'd go with 'incompetence' over any "smoking gun". The NFL has clearly shown incompetence, what they've never shown is the ability to do the job of investigation better than anyone else.
While this may be true, it doesn't matter.

Zeke will be sitting out games.

And I agree with Alexander. I'd rather have Zeke sitting out games in September than in December/January.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
While this may be true, it doesn't matter.

Zeke will be sitting out games.

And I agree with Alexander. I'd rather have Zeke sitting out games in September than in December/January.

Your opinion is duly noted. You should work on phrasing it better so that you don't come off as trying to state that opinion as fact.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Point well taken. I was just being honest when I expressed that I normally give the alleged victim the benefit of the doubt because I don't believe that most women will lie about such a traumatic thing. Then you have women like the one in this case who make it hard on everybody.

Ya, she's definitely the outlier when it comes to the " benefit of the doubt" granted to the female in domestic abuse cases

jday

Reaction score
I think the reason the Elliott defense would like a delay would be because they likely think they can beat this where most suspended players are usually guilty and are just fighting the length of the suspension. Brady's was delayed because his defense team thought they would beat it as well.

If Elliott has to server any suspension of any length, I just hope it starts with game #2 because of Mara :D
That's a really good point. On the other hand, wouldn't Mara have even more egg on his face if we beat him without Zeke?

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's a really good point. On the other hand, wouldn't Mara have even more egg on his face if we beat him without Zeke?
True, but I like knowing Mara at least lost part of the benefit of having Elliott suspended. The Cowboys could also lose with Elliott, but at least it would be a fair game.

jday

Reaction score
True, but I like knowing Mara at least lost part of the benefit of having Elliott suspended. The Cowboys could also lose with Elliott, but at least it would be a fair game.

Define "fair."

I made this point yesterday, when a few Zoners were celebrating the potential of OBJ missing game 1 against us. Some even suggested it would even the playing field if both Zeke and OBJ missed time. I don't think so. I think even with Zeke missing the game, the Cowboys still have an embarrassment of riches in terms of talent as compared to the Giants.

I remember thinking last year of the second game that the Cowboys got coach-whipped, not talent whipped. And, in particular, the Giants DC Spags had Linehan's number. Our defense in both games did their job. So, in my opinion, it's not about stopping the Giants offense, but scoring on that Giants defense.

Now, you might say, that's why we need Zeke. But a part of me wonders if not having Zeke might help a little...perhaps even more than it hurts. If Zeke is there, the Cowboys offense will approach the game against the Giants with a business-as-usual mantra. If they have to make it work without Zeke, they will be forced to get creative...which is something they should be doing against the Giants anyway.

If this coaching staff has a weakness, I think it might be a case of over-belief in the effectiveness of their system and the unwillingness to make adjustments at times when they are absolutely needed. I say "at times" because they have clearly demonstrated the ability to make quick adjustments in-game. But usually those adjustments are often forced by circumstances beyond their control, such as playing Dak last year in lieu of Romo and Moore.

I have often wondered if we would have ever got to know the real Dak had those injuries to Kellen and Romo not happened. Obviously we wouldn't had Romo not been hurt. But it really hurts my soul to think that had Kellen not been injured, he would have been the starter in Romo's absence. Just thinking about it makes me sick to me stomach.

Last edited:

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Define "fair."

I made this point yesterday, when a few Zoners were celebrating the potential of OBJ missing game 1 against us. Some even suggested it would even the playing field if both Zeke and OBJ missed time. I don't think so. I think even with Zeke missing the game, the Cowboys still have an embarrassment of riches in terms of talent as compared to the Giants.

I remember thinking last year of the second game that the Cowboys got coach-whipped, not talent whipped. And, in particular, the Giants DC Spags had Linehan's number. Our defense in both games did their job. So, in my opinion, it's not about stopping the Giants offense, but scoring on that Giants defense.

Now, you might say, that's why we need Zeke. But a part of me wonders if not having Zeke might help a little...perhaps even more than it hurts. If Zeke is there, the Cowboys offense will approach the game against the Giants with a business-as-usual mantra. If they have to make it work without Zeke, they will be forced to get creative...which is something they should be doing against the Giants anyway.

If this coaching staff has a weakness, I think it might be a case of over-belief in the effectiveness of their system and the unwillingness to make adjustments at times when they are absolutely needed. I say "at times" because they have clearly demonstrated the ability to make quick adjustments in-game. But usually those adjustments are often forced by circumstances beyond their control, such as playing Dak last year in lieu of Romo and Moore.

I have often wondered if we would have ever get to know the real Dak had those injuries to Kellen and Romo not happened. Obviously we wouldn't had Romo not been hurt. But it really hurts my soul to think that had Kellen not been injured, he would have been the starter in Romo's absence. Just thinking about it makes me sick to me stomach.
I think you are over thinking my use of the word "fair" .. I'm not talking about "life is fair/unfair" stuff. I'm simply saying fair as in lacking any manipulation by the other side. Injuries and other reasons a player miss are just part of the game. Also, just because some fans celebrate OBJ's injury (I fully believe he will be fine and play against Dallas) does not mean other fans cannot have an opinion on this situation.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score

These are from the night after the fight, to my understanding.

So if that's all that the NFL had to go on, then they're out of their minds.

What I'm wondering is, were there other photos that they pulled from phone records, verified with metadata, or found social media photos before the fight where she was bruised/injured?

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Bottom line that I come to is this:

The media rode the Ray Rice and Greg Hardy trains until the wheels fell off - female personalities in the news, male personalities in the news, all talking heads male and female - didn't matter. They beat that horse to a fine mist, and some would say rightfully so.

Eerily silent from all the media in this one. Nobody's carrying the domestic violence banner against Zeke Elliott this time. I think people know this one is a dog of a case.

Reaction score
You don't know that. There are many ways it can go. They could actually file several different items for separate hearings and accounts.

I'm a lawyer, so I have some sense on how it will go. This is an appeal of a private employer's personnel action to a federal appellate court, not a trial in the first instance before a federal district court. The NFL and NFLPA have already developed the "facts" for the record. Usually, appellate courts do not obtain new facts, they just rule on the facts already in the record.

Last edited:

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
I really think this will go to court and rightfully so for Zeke. He has everything to lose by not going to court.

By going to court he can release the evidence to the public without any repercussion from the league. In doing so its going to open a can a worms when the public realizes that Zeke has been innocent all along and that the NFL overstepped their boundaries. It will be a long hard fight and might take many years. In the end, I think Zeke has a good chance in winning it and not getting suspended.

An appeal will only look at the process, not the facts of the case. But there are other ways to have these facts become public and influence the appellate judge. It would be in Zeke's best interest (as well as the Cowboys) to have him appeal the suspension rather than settle for a lesser penalty.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Not interested in a delay that could disrupt the season. Take it early if you have to.

Bad idea if he's truly innocent.

Not only is it bad for his reputation (if he's innocent and I believe he is), but the next violation could very well end up in banishment from the league. So that means that any woman could possibly extort him or by the NFL's standards..merely hint at it and ban him from the league.

YR

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Not only is it bad for his reputation (if he's innocent and I believe he is), but the next violation could very well end up in banishment from the league. So that means that any woman could possibly extort him or by the NFL's standards..merely hint at it and ban him from the league.

YR

Not to mention the precedent it sets, putting a target on the reputation and finances of every other player in the league to be pursued by every other gold-digger out there.

It's amazing that the NFL will 'educate' rookie players on looking out for this, and then turn around and roll out the welcome mat for women to pursue it.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
At this stage, I don't think there is any way he is completely exonerated of suspicion. Best I think he can do is delay or simply take a side deal at a reduced number of games. I don't see any way he can "prove" his innocence and it would take that to get him free of any punishment.

The NFL will not clear him and it is unlikely a higher court would either just due to the statement it makes regarding DV. Never underestimate corporate sensitivity these days. They make decisions based on morality more and more than facts with increasing frequency any more.

Alexander

Reaction score
Not to mention the precedent it sets, putting a target on the reputation and finances of every other player in the league to be pursued by every other gold-digger out there.

It's amazing that the NFL will 'educate' rookie players on looking out for this, and then turn around and roll out the welcome mat for women to pursue it.
You think the NFL cares?

They care about one thing, spit shining the shield.

Well, we told them about this at the symposium! What more can we do? Our hands are tied. But they better understand we mean business. No MORE!

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You think the NFL cares?

Well, we told them about this at the symposium! What more can we do? Our hands are tied. But they better understand we mean business. No MORE!

I don't think the NFL is truly aware. I personally don't care if they care or not. Them caring or not caring doesn't change the facts.

At this point? I actually hope that the players go out on strike. They're being bent over left and right and their current joke of a management system is sitting there letting it happen.

Alexander

Reaction score
I don't think the NFL is truly aware. I personally don't care if they care or not. Them caring or not caring doesn't change the facts.

At this point? I actually hope that the players go out on strike. They're being bent over left and right and their current joke of a management system is sitting there letting it happen.
They won't strike until the contract is due in 2021.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
At this stage, I don't think there is any way he is completely exonerated of suspicion. Best I think he can do is delay or simply take a side deal at a reduced number of games. I don't see any way he can "prove" his innocence and it would take that to get him free of any punishment.

The NFL will not clear him and it is unlikely a higher court would either just due to the statement it makes regarding DV. Never underestimate corporate sensitivity these days. They make decisions based on morality more and more than facts with increasing frequency any more.

I don't disagree with you on corporate sensitivity. But EE is at a point of no return. If he bows down to this incident he will forever be labeled as a man that abused a woman. If he doesn't give in, he may get his suspension reduce and for him that would represent that he may not have done it. And a lot of things go along with that such as future endorsement deals, possibly getting a TV gig after football, etc.

The only distraction here is if he delays the suspension and then it is put back into play unexpectedly late in the season. However, I don't think the suspension can be put into play during the playoffs.

Kinda damned if you do, damned if you don't. And if he didn't do it, he should stick up for himself and perhaps he won't be the victim of future extortion attempts as well. That's as big of a distraction as any for his entire career.

YR