News: PFT: After NFL cracks down on Myles Garrett, Robert Quinn sees football getting soft

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Any QB would have. Blatant late hit then thrown to the ground and held down like that...when there was no justification for it.

This is interesting and talks about other things that happened in the game:

This wasn't a bar fight though. I doubt Garrett was gonna start beating the Hell out of him while he was lying on top of him, so the "self defense" angle is nonsense.

Swanny

Reaction score
I understand what Ur saying about the NFL being sued, but I think ur dead wrong about this is what fans want. That's a claim without evidence. That's what it told, so it becomes a false paradigms. But i agree that FF is helping adding to that as will the legalisation of sports betting. Money , greed, power have ruined the NFL. I'm just glad I got to watch the game while it was still a good game, but it's gotten worse each year, and as a result, I watch fewer games each year. I don't play FF because I seen when it came out, it would be bad for football, I don't bet on sports, because I think it's wrong to use Ur money this way, and betting with the NFL involved is going to completely ruin this game. Which seems to be the only possible way to isfox the game is to totally destroy it. But in a world where Emmitt Smith put his name in the class action lawsuit against the NFL, while having made millions, and knowing that injuries are part of a game like this . There is no long term fix to this problem, it's merely, the symptoms of the problems we have in our society , that doesn't take any responsibility . And a society where money is more important than anything else. I'm not allowed to list those things. Thankfully, I got to see A little Meridith, a little Lilly, Leeroy Jordan , lots of Charlie waters, Harris, Roger, Martin, Jones, Pugh, Dorsett, the manager,. Troy, Irvin,. Allen, and Williams. I just want to know, how does boxing, or the Octagon fighting still survive? Suing the NFL was abusive, and abuse can retract ones rights as fast as the powers just arbitrarily taking them. One famous man once said in a much more straight forward way. :). I've had to shift my interests in other fields more strongly, and let the NFL take up less of my life. Sad, sad, sad. But on the end, I loved the game too much anyway. The NFL is weening me off it more each year. I think it's sick to care more about whether Ur FF team won, rather than if Ur real team won. And making money , is more important, than building a winning team. But face it, today's youth are so soft, football is a sport too rough for Americans anyway now. I had college mates bragging to me about running 6 .5 to 7 minute miles when I was in college. I laughed at them . In 7 th grade, I could run under 4 minutes in a mile. Why? Because, I ran everywhere I went, and I lived out in the country where Ur friends weren't close, I had a job after school ever since third grade. I had to take care of all my animals that I had bought with my money. A cow, goats, rabbit, dog, etc. I didn't grow up playing Atari like my friends, or Xbox like today's youth. They are slow, fat, lazy, irresponsible and more. I just SMH
I agree .

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
Of course what Quinn is not addressing in comparing the league presently to that of 1960 is the commercial polarization of sports in general due to TV broadcasting. It’s not just a game anymore. It’s sports entertainment at the highest level.

Back in that era not all games were broadcast and NFL players had basically just a part time job during the season. There’s billions of dollars of revenue at stake now with the networks , their sponsors and the owners in which the players directly benefit in some cases hundreds of millions.

The NFL image is at the forefront for all of these decisions from the league office which the Commissioner is in place to protect the Shield on behalf of the owners interest.

Thursday nights incident was unfortunate especially at a point in the final seconds when the games result wasn’t in the balance. As my wife and I were watching it unfold and reviewing replay she said he shouldn’t ever be allowed to play again which is a perspective from its viewers the league must consider. I responded by saying he’d probably be suspended the rest of the season and possibly indefinitely.

I believe at some point he’ll be reinstated. After all the league reinstated a Felon who was convicted for killing dogs. And we’ve had much worse incidents from players involving domestic violence.

But this is a great example like in the Rice case where video is so powerful and damaging. It’s simply not something that can be swept under the rug or stashed in a closet. It’s out there for everyone to witness and stew over . And why it’s so damaging to the image of the league and such drastic measures must be taken.
Whoever coined the term information age must be naive. we have been and for a long time in the entertainment age.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
After the schmuck tried to rip his off while he was underneath him.

Did you watch the replay? Rudolph was responding to Garrett swinging and slamming him to the ground and holding them there long after the ball left his hands.

It seems odd to be the instigator and then get mad when someone retaliates...

We can talk about Rudolph’s response and if it was appropriate, but I don’t know, I think it would have been more justified (even still wrong) if it was Rudolph who flew off the handle. Garrett had little reason to be as mad as he was.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Did you watch the replay? Rudolph was responding to Garrett swinging and slamming him to the ground and holding them there long after the ball left his hands.

It seems odd to be the instigator and then get mad when someone retaliates...

We can talk about Rudolph’s response and if it was appropriate, but I don’t know, I think it would have been more justified (even still wrong) if it was Rudolph who flew off the handle. Garrett had little reason to be as mad as he was.
I'm in no way excusing Garrett's behavior, just saying it probably wouldn't have escalated to that point, had Rudolph just accepted that he was about to get an additional 15 yards.

erod

Reaction score
That’s probably a little dramatic E. Lol

But I would agree our current climate isn’t healthy because there are some words and subjects which shouldn’t be mentioned in public or in the workplace.

Our society was beginning to make some progress which while perhaps awkward to some it’s more acceptable to majority in our ever growing diverse society and cultures.

We should make an attempt not to offend everyone and coexist with our neighbors, associates , coworkers , friends and family members despite our differences, beliefs and views on ever subject respecting their right to conduct themselves in any lawful behavior they choose.
Is it really that dramatic?

Every dominant power in world history has eventually fallen. Why would a America be any different? The division in this country is deepening and fast tracking toward immensely violent times.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
No but excuses are being made.
I haven't read every post, but my personal feeling is that Garrett is completely in the wrong, from start to finish...but I don't think he would've gone as far as he did if Rudolph hadn't tried to rip his helmet off. I'm sure that's where he got the idea to do it in the first place. That said, I'm not excusing Garrett in any way, just saying Rudolph shouldn't get a complete pass.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
I haven't read every post, but my personal feeling is that Garrett is completely in the wrong, from start to finish...but I don't think he would've gone as far as he did if Rudolph hadn't tried to rip his helmet off. I'm sure that's where he got the idea to do it in the first place. That said, I'm not excusing Garrett in any way, just saying Rudolph shouldn't get a complete pass.

....Rudolph was being held down when he was trying to “rip his helmet off”.

I just don’t think it’s reasonable for anyone to think a QB who was slammed to the ground late and held there should be expected to just stay calm.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
....Rudolph was being held down when he was trying to “rip his helmet off”.

I just don’t think it’s reasonable for anyone to think a QB who was slammed to the ground late and held there should be expected to just stay calm.
I agree, "staying calm" is a bit much to ask...but trying to rip the helmet of a guy who's much bigger, stronger, and meaner was just asking for trouble.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Is it really that dramatic?

Every dominant power in world history has eventually fallen. Why would a America be any different? The division in this country is deepening and fast tracking toward immensely violent times.

The key will be our willingness to compromise for the benefit of the sum like we have in our history of conflicts.

We’ll have much more confidence once we have the leadership in place attempting to bring us all together on the issues we agree on instead of dividing on our differences.

At some point we’ll all need to accept the same facts instead of spinning alternative facts for self interest.

CowboysLegends2

Reaction score
Moral of the story is if you lose your temper after a Steelers QB tries to rip the helmet off a defender twice his size then the defender gets suspended indefinitely.

If you are a Cowboy offensive lineman however, Gurode can get his helmet kicked off then face raked across with cleats while laying defenseless on the ground and that is worth 5 games.

I think I got it.

DFWJC

Reaction score
The Browns were playing dirty all game.

That last series was nuts though.
Seconds left and the game way out if reach.
Rudolph was taking a pounding. Two straight sacks, so they do a dump off. But Garrett (who already has been in trouble for multiple late hits this year) crushes him anyway and kind of rubs it in while he’s on top of him after the late and completely unnecessary hit.
Rudolph is pissed and tries to get him off of him.
Just as Dak would be or ANY QB at that stage.

Then the rest happens.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Moral of the story is if you lose your temper after a Steelers QB tries to rip the helmet off a defender twice his size then the defender gets suspended indefinitely.

If you are a Cowboy offensive lineman however, Gurode can get his helmet kicked off then face raked across with cleats while laying defenseless on the ground and that is worth 5 games.

I think I got it.

League has changed since then.

DFWJC

Reaction score

I think I got it.
No not really

Are you defending Garrett here?
Seriously?