PFT: As to paying key players, Jerry is looking for ways to justify being cheap

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
We will see how these other teams do with the cap when those bills come due.
Some still have managed well. The difference between the Cowboys and most other teams is they refuse to trade players and have a habit of holding on to some too long.
As stated in another thread ........most GMs would be excited to have THREE ALL-PRO needing new contracts coz it means a job well done in drafting. IF they can't sign all three, they will prioritize who to keep and trade the other for major draft capital. It's not as hard as Jerry and Stephen want us to believe. They are just stuck in their ways and it's costing the team.

Sydla

Reaction score
Players want the shorter contracts, not the owners who want longer. And no need to resort to name calling just because you got called out for not know what you’re talking about as I explained in post #52.
And yet somehow, someway, a bunch of other teams are able to get these done, work their cap better, create more cap space, etc.

Post #53 is gibberish. It's just random words from a homer who is once again in "I have to defend all things Cowboys" mode. They are only salary cap strapped BECAUSE THEY CHOSE TO BE.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
And yet somehow, someway, a bunch of other teams are able to get these done, work their cap better, create more cap space, etc.

Post #53 is gibberish. It's just random words from a homer who is once again in "I have to defend all things Cowboys" mode. They are only salary cap strapped BECAUSE THEY CHOSE TO BE.
Wrong again. They’re salary cap strapped because they draft so well. See how your hate blinds you to the facts?

Sydla

Reaction score
We will see how these other teams do with the cap when those bills come due.
This was the battle cry post 2017 after the Eagles sold out for their run to the SB. Older players, some big contracts, etc. And then magically, they were able to re-tool on the fly, their cap didn't get destroyed like some predicted, they were able to hand out big contracts (Brown, Hurts, Johnson, etc) and somehow managed to stay active in FA.

You'd think after years and years of failure by this franchise you guys would wise up but apparently, I guess winning some regular season games and flaming out early in the playoffs is good enough.

Sydla

Reaction score
Wrong again. They’re salary cap strapped because they draft so well. See how your hate blinds you to the facts?
LOL.

You do realize they could have created more space in March if they had wanted to, right? Signing even one of Lamb or Dak or Parsons would have created cap space this offseason.

You act like it's only the Cowboys that have to sign their own players to big contracts.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sell negativity?

So facts equal negativity? These are facts. They are the cheapest team in the NFL when it comes to FA. They also tend to be one of the lower cap spending teams in the NFL when you look at the data. Their cap constraints are largely self inflicted giving the appearance they are up against the cap when in fact, they could manipulate and work the cap like most other NFL teams in order to sign FAs, etc.

The problem here is that as a fan, you struggle to come to grips with the fact that the Cowboys don't go the extra mile to get better, etc and that in fact, they seemingly don't invest in the roster like some of their peers do.
I never said they go the extra mile. I said quite a few times this offseason about their lack of involvement in FA over the years.
But I am not wasting any of my time to constantly whine about it.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
LOL.

You do realize they could have created more space in March if they had wanted to, right? Signing even one of Lamb or Dak or Parsons would have created cap space this offseason.

You act like it's only the Cowboys that have to sign their own players to big contracts.
No I don’t realize that. It takes 2 to tango. It’s hard trying to present the facts to someone so blinded by their hate.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
How they "handle" the cap is on purpose, not some sort of misunderstanding or lack of knowledge on how the cap works.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that if they had signed Dak and/or Lamb back in March, for example, they'd have freed up cap space to sign a couple of key vets in FA. They chose NOT TO sign Dak and Lamb back then because, instead, they wanted to give the appearance that they are cap strapped which then justifies the fact they signed basically no one in FA.

They are playing a game here and hoping the fans aren't paying attention.
And they're going to give Lamb and Dak what they want anyway. Just a waste of time. On top of being cheap it keep's the Cowboys in the news which is an added bonus.

stiletto

Reaction score

Completely accurate from all things I've read. I don't pretend to be a salary cap guy but there seems to be a lot of evidence to suggest that the Cowboys generally choose not to use the available Cash loopholes as much as other teams. For whatever reason.. It's not illegal and teams like Philly do it all the time.

Sydla

Reaction score
No I don’t realize that. It takes 2 to tango. It’s hard trying to present the facts to someone so blinded by their hate.
And yet many teams somehow find ways to get some of their big name players signed in order to help with the cap.

Based on reporting, the Cowboys didn't even really approach Lamb about an extension until well after the start of free agency. Now, an inquisitive person would wonder about that and try to understand why a team wouldn't approach a star player who could help alleviate some cap constraints with a new contract immediately after the 2023 season and prior to FA?

A homer would not wonder about that strategy. If he did, he would likely arrive at some uncomfortable conclusions.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This was the battle cry post 2017 after the Eagles sold out for their run to the SB. Older players, some big contracts, etc. And then magically, they were able to re-tool on the fly, their cap didn't get destroyed like some predicted, they were able to hand out big contracts (Brown, Hurts, Johnson, etc) and somehow managed to stay active in FA.

You'd think after years and years of failure by this franchise you guys would wise up but apparently, I guess winning some regular season games and flaming out early in the playoffs is good enough.
Majority of that retooling was because idiot Frank Reich took on Wentz's huge contract and bailed Philly out of that huge cap hit.
They also made some other trades to dump large contracts. Yes, there are other sucker GM's out there.
Credit to their GM, he did a great job. Jerry can learn from him. But he won't.

However Jerry created his own fiasco in which he can fix this after this season. But will he. I been saying this, but you have not been reading it.
But they still spend money, as not being cheap. They just have not done it wisely. How many times do I need to repeat it?

No I am not satisfied with only regular season wins. But hey, do not really read what I say. Only reply to what you think I say.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No, I'm saying legal loopholes paid by cash. Signing bonuses, etc.
But it all still counts toward the cap in some way. Jerry has been known for giving huge signing bonuses. As of late, not sure.

Sydla

Reaction score
Majority of that retooling was because idiot Frank Reich took on Wentz's huge contract and bailed Philly out of that huge cap hit.
They also made some other trades to dump large contracts. Yes, there are other sucker GM's out there.
Credit to their GM, he did a great job. Jerry can learn from him. But he won't.

However Jerry created his own fiasco in which he can fix this after this season. But will he. I been saying this, but you have not been reading it.
But they still spend money, as not being cheap. They just have not done it wisely. How many times do I need to repeat it?

No I am not satisfied with only regular season wins. But hey, do not really read what I say. Only reply to what you think I say.
The Eagles took a big dead money hit to move Wentz. What are you talking about? They took nearly a $35 million dead cap hit in 2021.

stiletto

Reaction score
But it all still counts toward the cap in some way. Jerry has been known for giving huge signing bonuses. As of late, not sure.
It does but from my understanding it counts differently and things get front loaded or back loaded. Cans get kicked down the road and teams spread it out, treat it as neverending and as the cap goes up things get washed. That's all I know.

A salary cap guru might be able to better explain it. There used to be a guy here that was great at explaining stuff like this. Lol

Sydla

Reaction score
It does but from my understanding it counts differently and things get front loaded or back loaded. Cans get kicked down the road and teams spread it out, treat it as neverending and as the cap goes up things get washed. That's all I know.

A salary cap guru might be able to better explain it. There used to be a guy here that was great at explaining stuff like this. Lol
Yes, in essence, this is accurate. But at some point, a team does have to account on the cap for cash spent. It all depends on the contract structure, etc.

Many teams buy into the theory of the ever growing cap and use higher signing bonuses, dummy years, etc. to essentially borrower from future years. Now all teams will spread bonuses out, for example, but some are way more aggressive than others. The Cowboys tend to be the least aggressive when it comes to that stuff.

It is also about timing, etc. The Cowboys can actually lower Lamb's cap hit this year if he signs a new deal. Why? Because they can utilize prorated rules, etc. to pay him a big bonus now and spread it out over multiple years. Which is why some fans advocated for the Cowboys to try to sign him after the 2023 season so that cap space created could have been used by the Cowboys this past FA. But, based on reports, the Cowboys basically did little until recently in terms of getting him extended.

The fact they were not all that aggressive in trying to get him signed earlier tells me that they wanted to appear cap constrained during the height of FA because they simply did not want to spend money on FAs.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Bottom line to everyone but Jethro homers is that our GM and supposed Cap Czar are not very good at their jobs.
Other teams let high priced players go and still are in the hunt for the SB (Chiefs being the most successful example)

CCBoy

Reaction score
That, and Jerry has always paid his team leading stars. I understand loss of perspective for those who look for excuses to follow. Lol

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Yes AdamJT. He would know. He has not posted for a very long time.
Over the cap website explains a lot. That actually give Adam credit when explaining how the cap works.
Not sure it addresses the cash parts.