PFT - Cowboys aren’t going to let Ezekiel Elliott’s holdout force their hand

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
A deal will get done soon, both parties need each other which always makes it work.

GenoT

Reaction score
Dare we be that optimistic?
:omg:

But one thing I will say, if they wanted to put any sort of a scare in Elliott's camp, signing a young, hungry back like Jay Ajayi would have done a better job of it than signing "team friend" Alfred Morris.
Signing Ajayi would be a good plan IF the Cowboys were seriously anticipating moving on from Zeke...which is doubtful, at least at this point. Keep in mind, Ajayi isn’t gonna sign with anyone unless he gets multiple years and a healthy guarantee (likely why he’s still on the market).

Signing Morris, who comes cheap and without much in the way of guaranteed $$, sends the message that the team is prepared to move forward and, if necessary, fine Elliott for every day he’s missed past the recent reporting deadline (the Cowboys have yet to announce they’re fining Zeke because, at this stage, they’re trying to keep negotiations “friendly”). Once Zeke reports, Morris can be released without much $$ loss. Not so if they sign Ajayi.

Elliott is under contract for two years and to hold out into the 2019 season, just to make a point, is not in his best long-term interests — financially or otherwise.
JMO

Last edited:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Signing Ajayi would be a good plan IF the Cowboys were seriously anticipating moving on from Zeke...which is doubtful, at least at this point. Keep in mind, Ajayi isn’t gonna sign with anyone unless he gets multiple years and a healthy guarantee (likely why he’s still on the market).

He's clearly not getting that, certainly not coming off of that ACL injury. He's firmly in the "prove it" category. But there is no better place to "prove it" than running in this offense, behind this line. Ask Demarco Murray.

Signing Morris sends the message that the team is prepared to move forward and, if necessary, fine Elliott for every day he’s missed past the recent reporting deadline (the Cowboys have yet to announce they’re fining Zeke because, at this stage, they’re trying to keep negotiations “friendly”).

I don't think signing Morris sends any message to anyone at all. He doesn't represent any threat to Elliott's position on the team. If Andrew when Zeke comes back, Morris would be only too happy to slide down the bench. Ajayi is a hungry guy with something to prove, hence the "prove it" category.

Elliott is under contract for two years and to holdout into the 2019 season, just to make a point, is not in his best long-term interests — financially or otherwise.
JMO

I agree, I think this entire holdout deal is a mistake. And I would very much like to see the team take a hard stance against it. I'd make sure they know I'm pissed.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
And what's your opinion on that? Do you think it's a good thing or a bad thing?

My opinion is he is one of the top RB in the NFL and will be paid accordingly. He is not asking to be paid more than a QB or DE or any other position other than RB. Now if you were the NFL rushing leader 2 out of your 1st 3 years would you assume you were the best if not one of the best? If so wouldn't you want to be paid accordingly? I do think all athletes are paid more than they truly are worth if you want to be honest. No way is Russell Wilson
worth 30 plus million a year but the league pays it. From the Cowboys point of view they have a team of 53 to pay and to keep key players Jerry is trying to get these deals to be spaced out to allow him the chance to pay these key players. I see the case for both sides but based on years of watching these situations play out all I can tell you is a deal will get worked out but in the meantime this drama will play out and fans will be upset. Once a deal is done the Cowboys will welcome Zeke with open arms and Zeke will come back ready to play

Kingofholland

Reaction score
As they shouldn't feel forced to sign him. They control his rights for essientially 4 years and likely all on lower yearly averages.

Stay out of trouble, go win a Super Bowl and Jerry will open his wallet for you.

GenoT

Reaction score
I don't think signing Morris sends any message to anyone at all. He doesn't represent any threat to Elliott's position on the team. If Andrew when Zeke comes back, Morris would be only too happy to slide down the bench. Ajayi is a hungry guy with something to prove, hence the "prove it" category.

Not sure about Ajayi being in a “prove it” year but, at any rate, he still would be a bigger financial commitment than is Morris, who already knows the basic offense plus, rather than sliding down the bench, would more likely be released once Zeke returns.

It’s seriously doubtful the Cowboys — at this point — believe anything other than Zeke will be the starting RB against NYG to start the season, and which is why they haven’t yet signed anyone who might represent a viable replacement.

We shall see...

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I fully expect both sides will agree on a deal. Meantime a lot of drama and fans that will be upset but in my opinion a deal will be reached and Zeke will be the starting RB for this team.
True. I just wish the deal would be agreed on sooner rather than later so we could stop talking about this! It just dominates all Cowboy talk right now.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
True. I just wish the deal would be agreed on sooner rather than later so we could stop talking about this! It just dominates all Cowboy talk right now.

I get that. As I mentioned this drama will play out in social media and fans will be upset and say all kind of things pro and con Zeke. I plan on just sitting back and wait until this deal gets done. Not going to get sucked in. lol..... Meantime these young RB will get ample snaps during this portion of camp and that should only benefit them

ESisback

Reaction score
The way I see it, it doesn’t matter what the Cowboys do. The Cowboys will be heavily criticized by “the experts”. But what’s going on now, the confusion, the rumors, the speculation, the condemnations, these same “experts” are LOVING it, because people are watching and listening. RATING$! Shannon “horseface” Sharpe is a gleeful little kid, his jealousy and hate for Dallas (half real, half acting for ratings) is on full display.

Of course we’d be better with Zeke, but NO ONE is bigger than the team. The Cowboy Haters are PRAYING they don’t have him in 2019.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My opinion is he is one of the top RB in the NFL and will be paid accordingly. He is not asking to be paid more than a QB or DE or any other position other than RB. Now if you were the NFL rushing leader 2 out of your 1st 3 years would you assume you were the best if not one of the best? If so wouldn't you want to be paid accordingly?

He can think whatever he wants, but I'm approaching it from the position of what's best for the team, not one player. The guy two years before him was "NFL rushing leader" too, running for a lot more than Zeke ever has. And the guy after him had great success as well, this isn't a new thing since Elliott got here.

I do think all athletes are paid more than they truly are worth if you want to be honest. No way is Russell Wilson worth 30 plus million a year but the league pays it. From the Cowboys point of view they have a team of 53 to pay and to keep key players Jerry is trying to get these deals to be spaced out to allow him the chance to pay these key players. I see the case for both sides but based on years of watching these situations play out all I can tell you is a deal will get worked out but in the meantime this drama will play out and fans will be upset. Once a deal is done the Cowboys will welcome Zeke with open arms and Zeke will come back ready to play

I agree with you in what in all likelihood I expect to happen. I'm just not sure if that will ultimately be the RIGHT thing?

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The cowboys are in a pickle of their own stupidity. If they give in to his holdout, they are setting a precedent for a lot of other young players. If they don't give in, the season is over b/c they didn't prepare in the offseason for a Zeke holdout.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not sure about Ajayi being in a “prove it” year but, at any rate, he still would be a bigger financial commitment than is Morris, who already knows the basic offense plus, rather than sliding down the bench, would more likely be released once Zeke returns.

More money? Certainly. And likely more production and upside as well. You get what you pay for.

It’s seriously doubtful the Cowboys — at this point — believe anything other than Zeke will be the starting RB against NYG to start the season, and which is why they haven’t yet signed anyone who might represent a viable replacement.

We shall see...

You're likely right. For better or worse.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
He can think whatever he wants, but I'm approaching it from the position of what's best for the team, not one player. The guy two years before him was "NFL rushing leader" too, running for a lot more than Zeke ever has. And the guy after him had great success as well, this isn't a new thing since Elliott got here.

I agree with you in what in all likelihood I expect to happen. I'm just not sure if that will ultimately be the RIGHT thing?

You can approach it however you wish but you have no say so in what happens. Nor do I. I can tell you what I think will happen. So you can think whatever you want but you have 0 say in any of this.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Dare we be that optimistic?

But one thing I will say, if they wanted to put any sort of a scare in Elliott's camp, signing a young, hungry back like Jay Ajayi would have done a better job of it than signing "team friend" Alfred Morris.

giphy.gif

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Florio was the guy front and center who reported on this holdout. And he was proven right. So they weren't "horrible" on that.
agreed. i truly dislike florio and have for over 10 years as his nonsenscal brand of national enquirer of football sucks but he then backs it with legal experience as a lawyer to silence critics....
but this was a breakign story they actually broke.

and no one can impugn charean. she's as straight arrow as they come.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry needs to start the fines. Not sure what he is waiting on. Maybe until August the 6th for the mandatory date tp get an accrued season toward FA sets in. Who knows for sure is a guess.

LifetimeBoysFan

Reaction score
I'm not real clear on where Zeke sees himself as having leverage on this whole thing. He has two years left on his deal. He's had arguably two run ins with the league which the team has stood behind him for. He gains nothing by sitting beyond August 6th and adding a year to his eligibility for free agency and even then Dallas will tag him if no deal is reached at that point too. My only assumption on this whole thing is he is testing them to see if he gets what he wishes he had and vacations while doing so. Especially since the last two years he hasn't even had a carry in preseason anyway. He's probably thinking he has the ability to step in and be Zeke, but as the last two years I've mentioned shows that hasn't been the case when he's shelved during the preseason. It seems like it has taken him about 2 or 3 games to get himself up to full speed then. I understand players seek their value, particularly ones playing an undervalued position, but just do so when you have a real case for being "owed" what you're due, not when you still have plenty to prove IMHO. Especially since one of these incidents was just this offseason for crying out loud.

Last edited:

glimmerman

Reaction score
His offer started with the gurly contract. His agent has to know what the rest of the NFL knows and that’s the rams jumped and over paid gurly. And SJ says he had that much set to the side for him to start with and knows it will go up from there. Now if there offer was slightly higher than gurly then maybe that’s why no counter offer yet. His agent is having him train in cabo. They have to seriously be considering the offer. Of course they are wanting a few million more than what they will settle for. Our FO is saying no.