News: PFT: Cowboys clearly traded for Trey Lance with an eye toward Dak Prescott's future

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So you're saying that he can earn a contract in practice? You'd be comfortable giving him a contract extension (5th year or otherwise) without playing, and make your QB room considerably more expensive?
Your ‘more expensive’ claim is patently false. A non-starter

How is that the logic, when the logic for Dak is "he hasn't done in enough in the playoffs?" It doesn't make any sense.
Dak’s being paid top quarterback money. If he disappoints again in the playoffs he’s clearly not worth it. This isn’t hard to figure out.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He has so much learning and growth to do just to justify him passing Rush let alone competing with Dak...it's not going to happen in this season. It's not like you have an experienced NFL QB...he is literally still just a rookie trying to overtake a top 8-10 NFL QB. No matter how many of the anybody but Dak fans want this to happen..if he wwas able to do thar, he would have beat out Darnold and Purdy.
Funny you mention Purdy. Mr Irrelevant who outplayed Dak in the playoffs.

DallasInDC

Reaction score
Funny you mention Purdy. Mr Irrelevant who outplayed Dak in the playoffs.
He outplayed the Dallas Defense...while Dak was outplayed by the 49ers Defense....pretty sure Purdy wouldn't have done as well in Daks shoes.

DallasInDC

Reaction score
It’s a yes or no question.

You can pull the wool over your own eyes, not anyone else’s.
Most things in life are not yes or no...it's much more complicated and interdependent than that...anybody with half a brain knows a game with 22 players on the field is not yes or no...especially when fans have no clue as to what all 22 players should be doing on a specific play...

With that said...I answered your question. Yes Dak through 2 INTs...to the 49ers Defense...not to Purdy...so to say Purdy beat dak is frivolous...the 49ers beat the Cowboys...call it whatever you want, but I least know the game is much more complicated than to blame a single player for an outcome.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Most things in life are not yes or no...it's much more complicated and interdependent than that...anybody with half a brain knows a game with 22 players on the field is not yes or no...especially when fans have no clue as to what all 22 players should be doing on a specific play...

With that said...I answered your question. Yes Dak through 2 INTs...to the 49ers Defense...not to Purdy...so to say Purdy beat dak is frivolous...the 49ers beat the Cowboys...call it whatever you want, but I least know the game is much more complicated than to blame a single player for an outcome.
Make whatever excuses you need to.

Big_D

Reaction score
In no way does this give the Cowboys any leverage when they have no idea if he's even capable of starting. He's not even a legitimate backup at this point. This could effect Dak 2 years down the line.. but it has no effect at all right now.

DallasInDC

Reaction score
Make whatever excuses you need to.
It's obvious how you feel about the player that you aren't willing to look at it objectively. You can call my stance whatever you want, but it doesn't change the facts. Cheers

John813

Reaction score
Would be nice if the Cowboys struck gold with Lance and his second chance.
Not getting my hopes up or anything, just would be nice to have a 23-24 year ols future "starting" QB on the roster.

RS12

Reaction score

Cowboys clearly traded for Trey Lance with an eye toward Dak Prescott's future​

Obvious to anyone remotely objective on the subject. That said if Shanahan could not fix the ball placement and read issue that Lance had, I have serious doubts that it happens here.

plasticman

Reaction score
Every quarterback in the NFL is drafted with the hope that, eventually, he will replace the starter. At the very least, the competition will push the starter. This is what competitive sports is all about.

Roger Staubach actually admitted, once, that he pushed himself to improve due the high regard he had for Danny White. Statistically, Roger was the #1 ranked QB in NFL history and had led the Cowboys to four Super Bowls at the time he said that. When Danny White opted for the WFL after the 1974 draft, Roger's backups were Craig Morton, a former #1 pick and Clint Longley, who cost the Chargers their #1 overall pick when they took him in the supplemental draft.

If any starting QB is afraid to compete then what does that say about confidence and ability to lead your team? Dak should welcome the competition and an opportunity to confirm, that he is the rightful starter.

However, this is all a mute point. Trey Lance isn't even ready to compete for the backup job. He has thrown less than 400 passes when you combine both his college and pro careers. Fans should also consider whether Jerry Jones feels he has enough time left to make a change of that magnitude and still have a true Super Bowl contender.

Today, Trey Lance has the potential to be next preseason's superstar. that is when we will all get to see him on the field and that's the way it should be. He is not going to replace Dak this season. He is not going to replace Cooper this season.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
Did the Iggles not do this with Wentz? Pack with AR? Jets with their host of failed QB's? Why can't we without being under the microscope..see how it plays out

USArmyVet

Reaction score
Yes. His performance, as it relates to INTs, wasn't bad last year. His turnover-worthy play rate was low, he was mostly just unlucky.

I'd extend him this fall, well before playoffs. His price isn't going to go down, but if you wait until next offseason, it's going to go way, way up.
...or you extend him in the Fall, he suffers a devastating injury, and now you eat a lot of money. Sorry but I take the approach of proving it this season and worst case, Dak proves it and if his demands are outrageous then you restructure some other contracts and let Dak play 2024 on the $59M hit and do what is necessary to draft a young 1st round QB by dedicating whatever resources necessaryand walk from Dak after the 2024 season.

If you don't go the route of drafting a 1st round QB in 2024 then you do the unthinkable, and this is based on Dak refusing to void his no-trade to move on from him to acquire draft pick compensation: start Trey Lance and make Dak the #2 QB. You see what Lance can do and if he flops then Dallas has a higher 1st round draft pick in 2025 and if he plays amazingly well you either exercise his 5th-year option for 2025 or you trade him for draft resources and move on from both Dak and Lance.

While not popular if Dak fails to elevate his game and the team this season there really is no point in signing him to an extension wherein you commit more money and time to a QB that will have had 8 seasons to prove it.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
...or you extend him in the Fall, he suffers a devastating injury, and now you eat a lot of money. Sorry but I take the approach of proving it this season and worst case, Dak proves it and if his demands are outrageous then you restructure some other contracts and let Dak play 2024 on the $59M hit and do what is necessary to draft a young 1st round QB by dedicating whatever resources necessaryand walk from Dak after the 2024 season.

If you don't go the route of drafting a 1st round QB in 2024 then you do the unthinkable, and this is based on Dak refusing to void his no-trade to move on from him to acquire draft pick compensation: start Trey Lance and make Dak the #2 QB. You see what Lance can do and if he flops then Dallas has a higher 1st round draft pick in 2025 and if he plays amazingly well you either exercise his 5th-year option for 2025 or you trade him for draft resources and move on from both Dak and Lance.

While not popular if Dak fails to elevate his game and the team this season there really is no point in signing him to an extension wherein you commit more money and time to a QB that will have had 8 seasons to prove it.
You're spending more against the cap by releasing him than you are extending him.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's obvious how you feel about the player that you aren't willing to look at it objectively. You can call my stance whatever you want, but it doesn't change the facts. Cheers
I’m not the guy trying to make excuses calling it “objectivity”.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Your ‘more expensive’ claim is patently false. A non-starter

Dak’s being paid top quarterback money. If he disappoints again in the playoffs he’s clearly not worth it. This isn’t hard to figure out.
Nope, already showed you the numbers.

Then how is Trey Lance worth it? You're going to be paying Lance AND Dak in 2025 when Lance hasn't done a single thing.