News: PFT: Cowboys feel good about depth of their wide receiver group

NewsBot

Reaction score
[content added by staff]

Cowboys feel good about depth of their wide receiver group
Posted by Josh Alper on June 27, 2016, 4:40 PM EDT
502622066-e1467060021327.jpg
Getty Images

When the subject of wide receivers has come up around the Cowboys this offseason, the conversation usually tilts to Dez Bryant’s recovery from a pair of surgeries and his prospects for turning in a healthier season than he had in 2015.

Bryant isn’t the only wideout on the roster, however, and the Cowboys would like to see some of their other receivers thrive as part of the effort to turn things around from last year. The team didn’t make any big moves at the position this offseason, but it’s clear from wide receivers coach Derek Dooley’s take on Terrance Williams, Cole Beasley, Brice Butler, Vince Mayle, Lucky Whitehead and Devin Street that they don’t see that as a problem.

Dooley called the group the deepest “top-to-bottom” that the team has employed since he joined the staff in 2013, an assessment that was met with agreement by Beasley.

***snip***

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
I think once you get past the top 3, there are a lot of question marks, but it is what it is.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
I'm interested in seeing Butler with Romo. I still wouldn't mind a top pick at WR next year but if Butler can emerge as our "Harper" will greatly improve our chances at division title

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm interested in seeing Butler with Romo. I still wouldn't mind a top pick at WR next year but if Butler can emerge as our "Harper" will greatly improve our chances at division title

With Butler and Williams both likely gone, it's going to be a need, no matter what.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Not really sure how good the "depth" is when each player does a special thing and cannot step up and start.

Beasley can't start. Street can't start. Butler is unproven.

I must be missing something with this top shelf depth that Dooley is crowing about.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
after last season I don't think there depth at wr is all that good no one stepped up at all.

TrailBlazer

Reaction score
I think when you compare it to other teams it's actually not bad. You don't need great wide receivers to win. You have to make the most of what you have with great QB play and great offensive scheme. The latter being the part I worry about most with JG.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score

williams is our harper. Not sure why everyone hates williams on the internet its a very odd thing.

Butler plays Dez's X position and I imagine will take over the role that Dwayne Harris had in previous years. I also think we might see Dez get some snaps in the slot with butler lined up wide next to him like we used to do with owens.

This feels like the kind of year Devon Street will have a good camp and preseason. With good backup qb play from moore and a very good group of tight ends and backs plus a decent backup line I think street will be good in the summer. I am excited to see where Whitehead is, I think he is going to be one of the most improved players.

Between lucky's abilities with the ball in his hands and Zeke's receiving skills I don't see how dunbar makes the team. I think those two will take his place in the offense. I think we have 6 good WR and if 9 is healthy all will be productive.

Sasquatch

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
Receivers on this team are only as good as Room makes them until proven otherwise.

Omegasupreme

Reaction score
There was an article on DC.com about how Lucky is so dangerous with those screens. There was a comment during the OTAs that Terrance Williams is so good with those slants and Romo called him "one of the best players in the league after the catch". Beasley has been described as impossible to cover at short range passes and his runs after the catch almost always double his yards before the catch. Dez runs so violently and physically that you want the ball in his hands as fast you can. He takes those quick down and ins and take it to the house. Gavin Escobar has been described as being the tallest player on the field as well as some of the best hands on the team.

But Broaddus, Eatman, Romo, Archer, etc always end their praise of the players obvious strengths with "but they don't run those plays that often".

I just don't get why the offense is set up for Dez to wait to get the ball. Williams needs high percentage passes because of his anxiety but playing to his strength, he can take a short slant for a TD. Beasley, Whitehead and Escobar are all excellent in the short passing game and would virtually control the chains.

This group could and should be a strength but the question is; why is it so rigid that the plays are designed to "beat the player across from you" when most teams have faster players at CB than Dallas has at WR and TE. However, if the routes were designed more laterally and integrated freeing the WRs at the LOS the tremendous and elite ability of Dez, T-Willy, Beasley, and Whitehead to run elusively and manufacture yards, the team would be equipped for years and there would be no questions about the players (except maybe Devin Street who doesn't seem to fit into any category).

Frankly the slant and quick out are part of the Coryell 9 routes so they really don't need to change anything drastically. I think given who they have and what those players can do they should work more of those short passes into the games.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Not to make Dooley look stupid, but if one starter broke his ankle tomorrow, could anyone be considered a reliable starter?

If the answer is even "maybe", then you don't have depth. At least in the real sense of the term.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We've got one of the better WR groups in the league when Romo's throwing. And diversity is actually a good thing. When your slot receiver draws double teams on third downs with Dez on the field, you're doing something right.

Complaining that your number two WR is not a number one is pretty pointless. He's not a number one. As is wanting your slot guy to necessarily play a lot outside. It's unnecessary. Sitting around saying 'yeah, but take one of the best WRs in the game out of your lineup and *then* what have you got?' is an argument with a pretty big and obvious whole in it.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I like the mixing of Romo and great receivers.

And there's something pleasant to the thoughts when considering a group of rather larger receivers, and some base line ability to get separation...and a new level of speed in the total group. Including the running backs.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I've heard this same type of talk from Derek Dooley before.

The coach who cried wolf.