News: PFT: Cowboys feel good about depth of their wide receiver group

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I actually like the Cowboys receiving corps, but let's be honest. We have an elite #1, a cagey TE who is our real #2, a bunch of role players.

I don't see depth, so maybe we need to define depth. To me, depth is having players who can start if a stater gets injured without a huge drop off in production. Like Leary.

We certainly don't have that definition of depth at WR or TE, our top two receiving spots.

Good post. :)

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
i thought he did fine last year when we had the crap-crew out there all year. some people are just hellbent on "shopping" but never actually "cooking" something up.

That one pass down the sideline was beautiful. .....had he not pulled his hamstring. He is a deep threat that defenses will have to keep an eye out for

DFWJC

Reaction score
Butler hasn't had much (or any) work with Romo before this offseason. That should help
Adding Zeke should help the overall receiving group too.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
That's folly, but whatever.

You pose a great argument there.

And I would argue that having decent backup receivers is the least of my concerns when you dont even have quality starters at many positions on defense.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
We aren't at their practices so we don't see what they see now but the WR corps was a weakness last season.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
"Depth" is relative to the rest of the league. You may not like certain players at the bottom of the depth chart, but they may be better than receivers on other teams at the bottom of their depth charts.

I guarantee you this team has more depth at receiver than any either of the Super Bowl teams after 1992. The 1995 team had ridiculously bad receiver depth. They had one legitimate starter, Michael Irvin. Kevin Williams was a glorified return man, who didn't crack any team's top two after he left Dallas. Cory Fleming couldn't catch a cold, and was replaced wholesale by Deion Sanders after the second Philadelphia game.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
I'm anxious to see the bottom ranked and rookie receivers in this group especially Vince Mayle, Ed Eagan, and Chris Brown. Rodney Smith also looks like he has some juke and YAC to him, as well as Andy Jones. Can't wait for the preseason!!! PURO COWBOYS!!!

Mayle is going to make some noise this preseason.

rkell87

Reaction score
I completely agree. This is one of the strengths of the team. I could never figure out why some posters were saying it was a weakness.

Jets, Bengals, steelers, Jaguars, Broncos, Giants, packers, maybe cardnals and Texans I'd trade units with right now. I think our unit is on par with the Falcons, raiders, and chargers and just a head of the Panthers and Buccaneers.

Top half of the league sure but it can only be considered a strength of this team by default because our offense as a whole is the strength of this team.

O unit ranking

OL
QB
TE
RB
WR

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Jets, Bengals, steelers, Jaguars, Broncos, Giants, packers, maybe cardnals and Texans I'd trade units with right now. I think our unit is on par with the Falcons, raiders, and chargers and just a head of the Panthers and Buccaneers.

Top half of the league sure but it can only be considered a strength of this team by default because our offense as a whole is the strength of this team.

O unit ranking

OL
QB
TE
RB
WR

This team is becoming a "run first offense". Smash mouth football. Now that is not to say that they will run more than pass, but you understand the term.

That being said, a deep and diverse receiving corp is not as necessary.

If you look at ONLY the receivers, then I think you are short changing the analysis. CLEARLY Witten is the #2 target here. So there is less of a need for a #2 receiver in this offense. Then you have the coming of Zeke that will be a monster in the passing game. I expect him to catch 80 or more passes this year. Another factor in needing less of a receiving corps.

Then you factor in that we have a top 5 WR in the NFL. And to me, this is THE most important thing in pass catchers. So we are better than 27 other teams in that regard. I also feel Beasley is a very good #3 slot guy. You want to complain that Williams is an average at best #2 receiver no issue there. "pass catchers" overall, this team has plenty for the type of offense we current have. You want to get into who we have past Dez, Beasley, and Williams, I really have much bigger fish to fry. Like on the defensive side of the ball where we almost need half the players overhauled.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

O unit ranking

OL
QB
TE
RB
WR

I do agree with your assesment of the teams and which is better or on par with.

phildadon86

Reaction score
This team is becoming a "run first offense". Smash mouth football. Now that is not to say that they will run more than pass, but you understand the term.

If you look at ONLY the receivers, then I think you are short changing the analysis. CLEARLY Witten is the #2 target here. So there is less of a need for a #2 receiver in this offense. Then you have the coming of Zeke that will be a monster in the passing game. I expect him to catch 80 or more passes this year. Another factor in needing less of a receiving corps.

Then you factor in that we have a top 5 WR in the NFL. And to me, this is THE most important thing in pass catchers. So we are better than 27 other teams in that regard. I also feel Beasley is a very good #3 slot guy. You want to complain that Williams is an average at best #2 receiver no issue there. "pass catchers" overall, this team has plenty for the type of offense we current have. You want to get into who we have past Dez, Beasley, and Williams, I really have much bigger fish to fry. Like on the defensive side of the ball where we almost need half the players overhauled.

Actually i believe Witten is the Number 1 option on this team. They seem to have a lot more routes designed for him.

rkell87

Reaction score

Pretty much agree with everything said however the context of the thread is the WR unit and while I agree witten is the clear #2, he should not be considered when discussing the depth of the WR unit. Also while I realize everyone is super optimistic/hopeful of our #4 pick he is both a rookie and a complete unknown as to his role and how they use him. Has romo ever come close to 80 passes to a/all RB?

rkell87

Reaction score
Actually i believe Witten is the Number 1 option on this team. They seem to have a lot more routes designed for him.

Our routes are dependent on how the player and romo read the defense, witten and romo see the field and read the D the same which is why it seems that way.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
They have the right guys when all are healthy. When one is out the whole group seems to falter.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Pretty much agree with everything said however the context of the thread is the WR unit and while I agree witten is the clear #2, he should not be considered when discussing the depth of the WR unit. Also while I realize everyone is super optimistic/hopeful of our #4 pick he is both a rookie and a complete unknown as to his role and how they use him. Has romo ever come close to 80 passes to a/all RB?

I see your point with the thread title. In that light I would say we have a top 3rd receiving corps. But ONLY because of Dez.

DFWJC

Reaction score

If it's one on one coverage, Dez is the clear #1 option.
If they are dragging a safety to him, then Witten is next.
and so on
Of course very play doesn't have the same progression, but on average that's how I see it