News: PFT: Cowboys feel good about depth of their wide receiver group

chagus

Reaction score
Depth = Dez, Witten, T.Wil

There is some potential added depth, especially in the slot, which is good if they pan out. However, they are not unlike the Beaselys and Butlers of the Cowboys WR world, i.e. nobody knows if the Chris Browns or Vince Mayles can be consistent in this League.

Exactly. Nobody knows, which is why I can't wait for the preseason to begin.

Sydla

Reaction score
You pose a great argument there.

And I would argue that having decent backup receivers is the least of my concerns when you dont even have quality starters at many positions on defense.

And I would argue that the "depth" at WR, which is the focus of this thread and the article is meh, at best.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
And I would argue that the "depth" at WR, which is the focus of this thread and the article is meh, at best.

Then I would argue that the most important thing is starters and that depth is meh around the league with most teams.

Califan007

Reaction score
Then I would argue that the most important thing is starters and that depth is meh around the league with most teams.

Hardly "meh" around the league...just because the Cowboys don't have good depth it doesn't mean good depth is rare or hard to come by.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/new...s-fantasy-football/1u95tujv30etd1mlupzdchsfe5

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000670759/article/ranking-the-nfls-four-best-receiver-groups

I would rank Dez, Williams and Witten (your top 3 pass catchers) around 12-13--maybe #10 at best...but the entire pass catching corp? The ranking drops a bit for that. Like one of the articles says:
"We also noticed that many of the top receivers in the NFL (DeAndre Hopkins, Julio Jones, Dez Bryant and Odell Beckham) have too little support around them."

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Hardly "meh" around the league...just because the Cowboys don't have good depth it doesn't mean good depth is rare or hard to come by.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/new...s-fantasy-football/1u95tujv30etd1mlupzdchsfe5

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000670759/article/ranking-the-nfls-four-best-receiver-groups

I would rank Dez, Williams and Witten (your top 3 pass catchers) around 12-13--maybe #10 at best...but the entire pass catching corp? The ranking drops a bit for that. Like one of the articles says:
"We also noticed that many of the top receivers in the NFL (DeAndre Hopkins, Julio Jones, Dez Bryant and Odell Beckham) have too little support around them."

Yah, I guess I find this thread kind of meh to begin with. We have no pass rush, poor corners. need lbers, ect...ect... and people are fussing over backup receivers? Its trivial. And how can anyone know anything about the backups if they never play?

OUr backups stink.................I agree is that what you wanted to hear? We have Dez, Witten, Beasley, Williams, and Zeke to catch passes from Romo in this offense. That is plenty good enough and better than most.

ksadler1

Reaction score
I think when you compare it to other teams it's actually not bad. You don't need great wide receivers to win. You have to make the most of what you have with great QB play and great offensive scheme. The latter being the part I worry about most with JG.

Yup. Works for the Pats every year, and not just at WR. They seem to plug and play pretty well at RB too.....

DandyDon52

Reaction score
There was an article on DC.com about how Lucky is so dangerous with those screens. There was a comment during the OTAs that Terrance Williams is so good with those slants and Romo called him "one of the best players in the league after the catch". Beasley has been described as impossible to cover at short range passes and his runs after the catch almost always double his yards before the catch. Dez runs so violently and physically that you want the ball in his hands as fast you can. He takes those quick down and ins and take it to the house. Gavin Escobar has been described as being the tallest player on the field as well as some of the best hands on the team.

But Broaddus, Eatman, Romo, Archer, etc always end their praise of the players obvious strengths with "but they don't run those plays that often".

I just don't get why the offense is set up for Dez to wait to get the ball. Williams needs high percentage passes because of his anxiety but playing to his strength, he can take a short slant for a TD. Beasley, Whitehead and Escobar are all excellent in the short passing game and would virtually control the chains.

This group could and should be a strength but the question is; why is it so rigid that the plays are designed to "beat the player across from you" when most teams have faster players at CB than Dallas has at WR and TE. However, if the routes were designed more laterally and integrated freeing the WRs at the LOS the tremendous and elite ability of Dez, T-Willy, Beasley, and Whitehead to run elusively and manufacture yards, the team would be equipped for years and there would be no questions about the players (except maybe Devin Street who doesn't seem to fit into any category).

Frankly the slant and quick out are part of the Coryell 9 routes so they really don't need to change anything drastically. I think given who they have and what those players can do they should work more of those short passes into the games.

But Broaddus, Eatman, Romo, Archer, etc always end their praise of the players obvious strengths with "but they don't run those plays that often"..........LOL yeah if you dont use the strengths then they dont do much good do they??
it all comes back to the coaches.

chagus

Reaction score
Yah, I guess I find this thread kind of meh to begin with. We have no pass rush, poor corners. need lbers, ect...ect... and people are fussing over backup receivers? Its trivial. And how can anyone know anything about the backups if they never play?

OUr backups stink.................I agree is that what you wanted to hear? We have Dez, Witten, Beasley, Williams, and Zeke to catch passes from Romo in this offense. That is plenty good enough and better than most.

Rough off-season, huh?
nov14-depression.jpg

Howboutdemcowboys31

Reaction score
I feel good about spots 1, 3, and 5. Not good about spots 2 and 4

1-Dez
2- Willaims
3- Beasley
4- Butler
5- Lucky

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't see it. I think it's a team weakness actually and will certainly be very high on my list of team needs next offseason.

I don't think it's a weakness, but I certainly don't consider it to be as strong as it could be. I think Williams is a decent complement to Bryant, just not a receiver who can stand on his own ... a body-catching Alvin Harper. I think Beasley is a solid niche player. Whitehead might also turn out to be a good niche player while Butler might be capable of stepping into the No. 2 role if needed. However, I don't think we've seen enough to know with this last two.

I agree, though, that we need to be looking to upgrade next offseason when Butler and Williams become free agents. The top three are not very different from Irvin, Harper and Kelvin Martin/Kevin Williams.