News: PFT: Cowboys feel good about depth of their wide receiver group

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Not really sure how good the "depth" is when each player does a special thing and cannot step up and start.

Beasley can't start. Street can't start. Butler is unproven.

I must be missing something with this top shelf depth that Dooley is crowing about.

I think we'll be ok and we are as good as we've been in a long while but you're right. IF Street, Butler and and a more unknown develops some then we'll be good. If not then we'll be thin again.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
williams is our harper. Not sure why everyone hates williams on the internet its a very odd thing.

Butler plays Dez's X position and I imagine will take over the role that Dwayne Harris had in previous years. I also think we might see Dez get some snaps in the slot with butler lined up wide next to him like we used to do with owens.

This feels like the kind of year Devon Street will have a good camp and preseason. With good backup qb play from moore and a very good group of tight ends and backs plus a decent backup line I think street will be good in the summer. I am excited to see where Whitehead is, I think he is going to be one of the most improved players.

Between lucky's abilities with the ball in his hands and Zeke's receiving skills I don't see how dunbar makes the team. I think those two will take his place in the offense. I think we have 6 good WR and if 9 is healthy all will be productive.

I don't hate Williams not sure where you got that. I have actually defended him. I think he is better then what people give him credit for especially with Romo throwing the ball to him

Maxmadden

Reaction score
We have lots of depth as long as Dez is healthy and no one is asked to do something other than their role.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Not really sure how good the "depth" is when each player does a special thing and cannot step up and start.

Beasley can't start. Street can't start. Butler is unproven.

I must be missing something with this top shelf depth that Dooley is crowing about.

Sunshine and rainbows. That's what we get in abundance this time of year.

TheHerd

Reaction score
I actually like the Cowboys receiving corps, but let's be honest. We have an elite #1, a cagey TE who is our real #2, a bunch of role players.

I don't see depth, so maybe we need to define depth. To me, depth is having players who can start if a stater gets injured without a huge drop off in production. Like Leary.

We certainly don't have that definition of depth at WR or TE, our top two receiving spots.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Barring an amazing turnaround, I'd be utterly flabbergasted if Devin Street manages to retain his spot at WR this year. I think Butler has talent but if he's unable to remain healthy, ala Miles Austin, it'll be very difficult for him to stick around in the long run. I wouldn't be too surprised if a speedy WR becomes a somewhat early target in the 2017 draft.

rkell87

Reaction score
They shouldn't

Dez- yay

T will- we ran Roy Williams out of town once, probably do it again

Butler- wish in one hand, **** in the other see which fills up first

Beasley- yay but only if dez is on the field

Whitehead- niche player limited overall impact

Street- should have never been drafted and should have been cut already, adds no value to team, phenomenal group of WRs drafted that year in rounds 2-4 and this is the guy we come up with smh

Last edited:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
[content added by staff]

Cowboys feel good about depth of their wide receiver group
Posted by Josh Alper on June 27, 2016, 4:40 PM EDT
502622066-e1467060021327.jpg
Getty Images

When the subject of wide receivers has come up around the Cowboys this offseason, the conversation usually tilts to Dez Bryant’s recovery from a pair of surgeries and his prospects for turning in a healthier season than he had in 2015.

Bryant isn’t the only wideout on the roster, however, and the Cowboys would like to see some of their other receivers thrive as part of the effort to turn things around from last year. The team didn’t make any big moves at the position this offseason, but it’s clear from wide receivers coach Derek Dooley’s take on Terrance Williams, Cole Beasley, Brice Butler, Vince Mayle, Lucky Whitehead and Devin Street that they don’t see that as a problem.

Dooley called the group the deepest “top-to-bottom” that the team has employed since he joined the staff in 2013, an assessment that was met with agreement by Beasley.

***snip***

Continue reading...

I completely agree. This is one of the strengths of the team. I could never figure out why some posters were saying it was a weakness.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
We've got one of the better WR groups in the league when Romo's throwing. And diversity is actually a good thing. When your slot receiver draws double teams on third downs with Dez on the field, you're doing something right.

Complaining that your number two WR is not a number one is pretty pointless. He's not a number one. As is wanting your slot guy to necessarily play a lot outside. It's unnecessary. Sitting around saying 'yeah, but take one of the best WRs in the game out of your lineup and *then* what have you got?' is an argument with a pretty big and obvious whole in it.

Full agreement on this one. Our "pass catchers" are very very good.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I think we'll be ok and we are as good as we've been in a long while but you're right. IF Street, Butler and and a more unknown develops some then we'll be good. If not then we'll be thin again.

We are as good as anyone can expect at pass catchers. Especially for a team that is moving towards more of a running offense. In the scheme of the offense the options in the passing game probably go much like this:

1. Dez
2. Witten
3. Zeke
4. Beasley
5. Williams

So when your #2 WR is really your #4 or #5 option, having stud depth at receiver is not as important.

Sydla

Reaction score
Yeah I don't see the depth here. You have one stud............ possibly a decent #2 (as long as Bryant is on the field)............ possibly a decent #3.............. and then the rest is just a bunch of question marks to the point we had chatter that a UDFA like Chris Brown could potentially unseat someone like Street.

dstew60105

Reaction score
[content added by staff]

Cowboys feel good about depth of their wide receiver group
Posted by Josh Alper on June 27, 2016, 4:40 PM EDT
502622066-e1467060021327.jpg
Getty Images

When the subject of wide receivers has come up around the Cowboys this offseason, the conversation usually tilts to Dez Bryant’s recovery from a pair of surgeries and his prospects for turning in a healthier season than he had in 2015.

Bryant isn’t the only wideout on the roster, however, and the Cowboys would like to see some of their other receivers thrive as part of the effort to turn things around from last year. The team didn’t make any big moves at the position this offseason, but it’s clear from wide receivers coach Derek Dooley’s take on Terrance Williams, Cole Beasley, Brice Butler, Vince Mayle, Lucky Whitehead and Devin Street that they don’t see that as a problem.

Dooley called the group the deepest “top-to-bottom” that the team has employed since he joined the staff in 2013, an assessment that was met with agreement by Beasley.

***snip***

Continue reading...

If Butler stays healthy, Romo will make him a very good WR.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Yeah I don't see the depth here. You have one stud............ possibly a decent #2 (as long as Bryant is on the field)............ possibly a decent #3.............. and then the rest is just a bunch of question marks to the point we had chatter that a UDFA like Chris Brown could potentially unseat someone like Street.

With Witten and Zeke being receiving options 2 and 3 there is less of a need for backup receivers.

chagus

Reaction score
I'm anxious to see the bottom ranked and rookie receivers in this group especially Vince Mayle, Ed Eagan, and Chris Brown. Rodney Smith also looks like he has some juke and YAC to him, as well as Andy Jones. Can't wait for the preseason!!! PURO COWBOYS!!!

Last edited:

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
I'm anxious to see the bottom ranked and rookie receivers in this group especially Vince Mayle, Ed Eagan, and Chris Brown. Rodney Smith also looks like he has some juke and YAC to him, as well as Andy Jones. Can't wait for the preseason!!! PURO COWBOYS!!!

Depth = Dez, Witten, T.Wil

There is some potential added depth, especially in the slot, which is good if they pan out. However, they are not unlike the Beaselys and Butlers of the Cowboys WR world, i.e. nobody knows if the Chris Browns or Vince Mayles can be consistent in this League.