PFT: Cowboys haven't begun talks with Dak or Cooper

conner01

Reaction score
I disagree with that. I think teams are seeing the mistakes of recent big money extensions to guys like Carr, Stafford, and Cousins and rethinking throwing crazy money at just any quarterback.
The problem is there are only 5 top 5 QBs so the odds of having one is slim
There are only 10 top 10 and they cost very close to the top 5 guys
In a perfect world you have a QB on a rookie deal with lots of picks and cap space to build around him to have that you need a couple of very bad years to get there

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The problem is there are only 5 top 5 QBs so the odds of having one is slim
There are only 10 top 10 and they cost very close to the top 5 guys
In a perfect world you have a QB on a rookie deal with lots of picks and cap space to build around him to have that you need a couple of very bad years to get there

They did cost close, and even more to the dumb teams and perennial losers. That's the mistake you avoid. Dies anyone truly want to emulate what the Vikings, Lions, and Raiders do? Let me know how much winning they've done in the past two decades.

Meanwhile, the actual top quarterbacks like Brady and Brees are making decent, but not ridiculous money, save for Aaron Rodgers, and I feel that will quickly prove to be a mistake.

conner01

Reaction score
They did cost close, and even more to the dumb teams and perennial losers. That's the mistake you avoid. Dies anyone truly want to emulate what the Vikings, Lions, and Raiders do? Let me know how much winning they've done in the past two decades.

Meanwhile, the actual top quarterbacks like Brady and Brees are making decent, but not ridiculous money, save for Aaron Rodgers, and I feel that will quickly prove to be a mistake.
Brady is cheap because he’s already made 20” million
When you’ve had a Brady or Brees for years they usually take a cheaper deal for the team but not their first real contract though
Determine if Dak is a QB you can win with, if not then let him, Zeke, cooper, and all play out
Put rush at QB then white and have a couple really bad years. You will have a load of picks with all the comps and a ton of cap space
Draft the kid from Clemson and build really quick around him while he’s on his rookie deal
A couple painful years leads to a real QB, lots of picks and cap space
Sadly the way contracts have gotten so big staying good but not great kills you
It’s really turning into a situation where you have to be real bad to get good

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
LOL....hard to believe there are still posters/fans having a reservation whether or not the Jones see Dak as future QB of this team. People he's getting paid and will be the Cowboys starting QB for next 3-4 years min. Accept it......be less stressful (lol)

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I don't see any reason why they should at this juncture.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Did anybody read the full article. Florio is stirring the pot again. At the end of the article he wrote a blurb about Zeke holding out. SMH.....

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
The Nick Foles contract was a huge plus IMO and a sign of some sanity returning to the QB market. That being said, I would hate for Dak to hit UFA next year and get caught in a bidding war for him with some stupid team that has way too much cap space. You know how you guys rue not signing D-Law early, I'm thinking it's the same sort of deal here.

Coop, I guess his agent is probably in wait-and-see mode, but I'd give him a carbon copy of the Brandin Cooks contract in case he ever wants to sign it. 5 years, $82 mil, $50 mil guaranteed.

RamziD

Reaction score
Or he fails to progress and you're thankful you didn't become the Oakland Raiders

I happen to think that with a full year of Cooper, a better receiving corps (Cobb is also realky good at getting separation), and an improved OL (Frederick back, Williams better), we will see Dak looking more like the rookie Dak, if not better.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
All I know is they better get at least TWO locked up now. The last thing they want is going into 2020 needing to sign Dak, Cooper, and DLaw with only ONE tag. Two of three will have them by the balls.....either give them what they want or they walk. That's not even counting Byron Jones or pressure they could see from Zeke or trying to avoid losing Jaylon Smith as RFA.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
The Nick Foles contract was a huge plus IMO and a sign of some sanity returning to the QB market. That being said, I would hate for Dak to hit UFA next year and get caught in a bidding war for him with some stupid team that has way too much cap space. You know how you guys rue not signing D-Law early, I'm thinking it's the same sort of deal here.

Coop, I guess his agent is probably in wait-and-see mode, but I'd give him a carbon copy of the Brandin Cooks contract in case he ever wants to sign it. 5 years, $82 mil, $50 mil guaranteed.

To be honest, I think resigning Coop could the hardest of all 4-5 players mention. Reason being is his agent know we've already invested a 1st round pick and no way in hell we let walk after only a year and a half. So if it's me, I'm saving 2020 tag for Cooper. If I can't get DLaw done before draft week....take the predraft offer for him and move on. Quitely get Dak done sometime before the start of the season. That way 2020, I can focus on Zeke and Jayson Smith and tag Coop.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I happen to think that with a full year of Cooper, a better receiving corps (Cobb is also realky good at getting separation), and an improved OL (Frederick back, Williams better), we will see Dak looking more like the rookie Dak, if not better.

I hope so. If that does happen, nobody will havbe any problem paying him. He will have earned it.
:thumbup:

RamziD

Reaction score
I hope so. If that does happen, nobody will havbe any problem paying him. He will have earned it.
:thumbup:

But he will be asking for significantly more. Like I said, 6 years at around $200M would probably be his asking price if that happened.

Sandyf

Reaction score
The only rush is we fans want it today like yesterday. Nothing going to happen until Lawrence signs then the draft then they will work on extensions.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
I disagree with that. I think teams are seeing the mistakes of recent big money extensions to guys like Carr, Stafford, and Cousins and rethinking throwing crazy money at just any quarterback.

Dak isnt in that category. He's lead this team to more wins than any qb except Brady. Dak's first 3 yrs rank up there with some of the greats production wise. I think he's top 4 in wins all time to start his career aswell. Now stats arent the end all of everything. And Dak goes beyond the stats and adds leadership and the way he can carry this team late in games.

Dak is worth 20mil to this team. To the owners. Jerry and Stephen have also said he will be extended this yr. So no matter what fans say he;s going to be extended. I think right after they get this Lawrence deal done, hurns accepts his pay cut or released and maybe a restructure of Martin, Dak and Cooper will be extended.

At some point people like you are going to have to stop minimizing what Dak means to this team. Is he still developing, yes. But even what he is right now is good enough for 2nd most wins in the last 3 yrs.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
There's no need to rush. The Cowboys have $124 million of cap room next year. And here's a guess at the average salaries all of the key free agents next year should command:

-Dak Prescott: $25 million (not starting a debate if Dak is worth this, just going by average market value)
-Amari Cooper: $16 million
-DeMarcus Lawrence: $22 million (assuming he and the Cowboys meet in the middle)
-Byron Jones: $15 million

This still leaves $46 million of cap room, enough to retain players like Robert Quinn if he proves worthy and maybe start negotiating with Zeke and Jaylon Smith, too. The cap shouldn't be an issue moving forward.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But he will be asking for significantly more. Like I said, 6 years at around $200M would probably be his asking price if that happened.

He can ask all he wants. That would be more than even the franchise tag calls for.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak isnt in that category. He's lead this team to more wins than any qb except Brady. Dak's first 3 yrs rank up there with some of the greats production wise. I think he's top 4 in wins all time to start his career aswell. Now stats arent the end all of everything. And Dak goes beyond the stats and adds leadership and the way he can carry this team late in games.

"Wins" are a team stat, not a quarterback stat.

Dak is worth 20mil to this team. To the owners. Jerry and Stephen have also said he will be extended this yr.

I'll gladly pay him $20 million. I've never read where they've specified "this Year" so you would have to show me that specific mention.

So no matter what fans say he;s going to be extended. I think right after they get this Lawrence deal done, hurns accepts his pay cut or released and maybe a restructure of Martin, Dak and Cooper will be extended.

At some point people like you are going to have to stop minimizing what Dak means to this team. Is he still developing, yes. But even what he is right now is good enough for 2nd most wins in the last 3 yrs.

And "wins" are a team stat, not an individual one. The Ravens won a Super Bowl with mediocre quarterback play, that didn't mean Trent Dilfer deserved to be paid as a top quarterback.[/quote]

Last edited:

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
This is the thing about Dak. Whether you like him or not.....at this point you should know if he’s your franchise qb or not. It makes no sense to wait and sign him if you think he’s your franchise qb. You aren’t going to get him on some bargain. The sooner the cheaper the deal.

100% confidence his agent will say we've had our discount for the last three years.......

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
"Wins" are a team stat, not a quarterback stat.

I'll gladly pay him $20 million. I've never read where they've specified "this Year" so you would have to show me that specific mention.

And "wins" are a team stat, not an individual one. The Ravens won a Super Bowl with mediocre quarterback play, that didn't mean Trent Dilfer deserved to be paid as a top quarterback.
[/QUOTE]
Trent didn’t have the most game winning drives in his first 3 yrs either. Dak leads this team to wins. If you look at games where this team needs a game winning drive the ball isn’t going to Elliot. It stays in dams hands.

Wins are a team stat, but they need a qb to lead them there. He plays a big part in their wins. Sadly he’s also been a big reason they’ve lost some games too.

He needs to really work on his fumbles and getting rid of the ball. But he’s a better an then he gets credit for simply because he’s not Goff or wentz