News: PFT: Cowboys meeting with Byron Jones' representation today

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cowboys meeting with Byron Jones' representation today - ProFootballTalk

GettyImages-1063326610-e1582897375404.jpg

It's going to be a challenge for the Cowboys to keep Byron Jones. Even they concede that. But the Cowboys are going to try. The team will meet with the cornerback's representation Friday, Calvin Watkins of the Dallas Morning News reports. Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said Thursday that it's "not a given" Byron Jones has [more]

Read Full Story

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Clock is ticking Jerry, what you going to do when the cap monster comes for you.

They are probably doing a drive through the car lot type thing, get some ideas and prices, see if they can fit it all into the budget.
Jones, Quinn, a few others, as they know about where they are with Amari and Dak, or in the ballpark anyway. just hope it is not a full count.

cowboyec

Reaction score
I really hope they can get something worked out. One thing we don't need is to try to find another good CB.
that they try to turn into a safety first.
totally agree.
i like Awuzie and Lewis...but their play last yr gives me pause.
i dont like the free agent class.
there are rookies i like but can you expect them to start and be a play maker day1?
i hope they can keep Byron by re-signing him or getting Dak's deal done and use a tag on 31.

John813

Reaction score
Can't see how he would accept much less than what X Howard got last year.
That deal was actually great for Miami with only 7mil in signing bonus and most of the guarantees where in the first 2 years.
If he would take that deal, sign him.

Carson

Reaction score
Can't see how he would accept much less than what X Howard got last year.
That deal was actually great for Miami with only 7mil in signing bonus and most of the guarantees where in the first 2 years.
If he would take that deal, sign him.

I would love for Jones to take that deal. Howard’s cap hit is never over 12 million a year!

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He has two interceptions in 79 career NFL games and none in the past 40 starts, but Jones still is going to get somewhere in the $15 million per year range.
There is just something wrong with that statement.

I just can't quite "get a grip" on what it is.

I'll "wrap my hands" around it eventually.

My ability to "pick" things up quickly might be off some today.

Hopefully I can "turn over" the right thing and find a clue.

:D

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I really hope they can get something worked out. One thing we don't need is to try to find another good CB.
Absolutely.

It has been a really rough ride with Carr and Claiborne and then needing to pull Jones away from the safety black hole that he was drafted to fill.

Right now..needing both CB and safety turns this into another 5 year search.

I say sign Jones and take it from the mega deals being thrown around with DAK and Amari.

What good is it to put all the cap into those guys just to watch
our defense become a scoring turnstile?

None.

I am all for a safety being drafted high.

It's one thing to be weak on the DL and have teams grind out drives.

It's another to allow big pass play after play and allow quick scores frequently.

I prefer a slow death and hope the offense can have drives eat clock and score enough to win.

Our whole 2018 season was built on that.

Last edited:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Here's hoping the smelling salts are within reach when his demands are heard. :rolleyes:

The fact is that he'll get it, and his agent knows it.

If the Cowboys are unable or unwilling to pay, there will be another cap-flush team out there that will make Byron Jones the highest-paid cornerback in football.

Here's a list of the highest paid going into the 2019 season. Take note of how many teams have gotten out of their deals with those players already (Washington, NY Jets, NY Giants and likely the Vikings), and how many wish they could (Miami, Atlanta, Jacksonville):

NFL's highest paid cornerbacks (average salary per year):
  • 1. Dolphins cornerback Xavien Howard: $15.1 million
  • 2. Commanders cornerback Josh Norman: $15 million
  • 3. Jets cornerback Trumaine Johnson: $14.5 million
  • 4. Vikings cornerback Xavier Rhodes: $14 million
  • 5. Cardinals cornerback Patrick Peterson: $14 million
  • 6. Bears cornerback Kyle Fuller: $14 million
  • 7. Falcons cornerback Desmond Trufant: $13.8 million
  • 8. Jaguars cornerback A.J. Bouye: $13.5 million
  • 9. Patriots cornerback Stephon Gilmore: $13 million
  • 10. Giants cornerback Janoris Jenkins: $12.5 million
https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...anking-nfl-cbs-salary-2019-season/1842447001/

snapper

Reaction score
Color me shocked if Jones is somehow brought back.

It's possible.

It is a deep CB class. Are there teams out there -- teams built to win now -- looking for a solid experienced CB, or will they take their chance in the draft? What are they willing to pay?

If his agent has done his homework, Jones' value has already been determined. We'll know very soon whether he stays or goes.

glimmerman

Reaction score
The fact is that he'll get it, and his agent knows it.

If the Cowboys are unable or unwilling to pay, there will be another cap-flush team out there that will make Byron Jones the highest-paid cornerback in football.

Here's a list of the highest paid going into the 2019 season. Take note of how many teams have gotten out of their deals with those players already (Washington, NY Jets, NY Giants and likely the Vikings), and how many wish they could (Miami, Atlanta, Jacksonville):

NFL's highest paid cornerbacks (average salary per year):
  • 1. Dolphins cornerback Xavien Howard: $15.1 million
  • 2. Commanders cornerback Josh Norman: $15 million
  • 3. Jets cornerback Trumaine Johnson: $14.5 million
  • 4. Vikings cornerback Xavier Rhodes: $14 million
  • 5. Cardinals cornerback Patrick Peterson: $14 million
  • 6. Bears cornerback Kyle Fuller: $14 million
  • 7. Falcons cornerback Desmond Trufant: $13.8 million
  • 8. Jaguars cornerback A.J. Bouye: $13.5 million
  • 9. Patriots cornerback Stephon Gilmore: $13 million
  • 10. Giants cornerback Janoris Jenkins: $12.5 million
https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...anking-nfl-cbs-salary-2019-season/1842447001/
Oh wow. Jones is gone. He will want 14 at least. Can’t swing that. We have Dak and Cooper. Maybe Collins. I have a feeling we will be restructuring contracts. If Crawford wants to stay he will have to take a huge pay cut.

GMO415

Reaction score
And say "thanks for your time with the Cowboys and good luck on your next adventure"