News: PFT: Cowboys meeting with Byron Jones' representation today

Carson

Reaction score
Exactly! He can’t even be considered a top 5 CB due to his lack of ball skills.

If I told you your number 1 highest paid corner hadn’t picked the ball off in 2 years, you’d ask why he’s the highest paid corner lol. Don’t get me wrong Byron is a number 1 and he’s a very good corner for what he’s asked to do. But for a defense that will be more multiple, he’s a pretty 1-dimensional corner

100%.

I think people here get caught up in an “anti Jones” “pro Jones” stance. We all want him back and he is an amazing corner. He is just the odd man out.

Not a single person here would complain if he took a team friendly deal to stay. But the reality is, we know he’s going to get paid. He has earned that right. I just hope he goes away from the nfc East

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Here's hoping the smelling salts are within reach when his demands are heard. :rolleyes:
Umm..

Just hand them a paystub showing no state tax bring withheld and show their net pay vs.someplace like NY or Georgia.

That adds back about 10% plus to their net salary vs elsewhere.

Don't Tell me they do not realize that. It goes in their pocket.

Multply that times 5 years..hmmmm..

This is not lost on these players.

Plus if they play well, the team is going to probably come back to them to extend their deal and use some cash on new players as it comes along.

More monies for the player under their contract.

These players deserve what they earn. But the team has to keep the lights on and still afford a yatch or three as well as houses in Aspen, Dallas and the Caribbean.

Really. The nerve..

:omg:

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Umm..

Just hand them a paystub showing no state tax bring withheld and show their net pay vs.someplace like NY or Georgia.

That adds back about 10% plus to their net salary vs elsewhere.

Don't Tell me they do not realize that. It goes in their pocket.

Multply that times 5 years..hmmmm..

This is not lost on these players.

Plus if they play well, the team is going to probably come back to them to extend their deal and use some cash on new players as it comes along.

More monies for the player under their contract.

These players deserve what they earn. But the team has to keep the lights on and still afford a yatch or three as well as houses in Aspen, Dallas and the Caribbean.

Really. The nerve..

:omg:

Points well taken -- to take it a step further, wouldn't it have been great if management were efficient in a much more timely way? ;)

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
!
Points well taken -- to take it a step further, wouldn't it have been great if management were efficient in a much more timely way? ;)
Alfred E Newman..

"What..me worry?"

:cool:

I am reminded that timing is everything. Like the time I lost my virginity was the time my girlfriend fell asleep in the backseat of my car. She woke up and the magic happened. Right place, right time.

:grin:

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
!

Alfred E Newman..

"What..me worry?"

:cool:

I am reminded that timing is everything. Like the time I lost my virginity was the time my girlfriend fell asleep in the backseat of my car. She woke up and the magic happened. Right place, right time.

:grin:

Hey, good for you -- I'll bet you were ready well before she dozed off and evidently, she was well rested, fresh, and ready to roll, too!

No doubt about it, timing and circumstances matter as much as anything! A persuasive verbal exchange can do wonders as well. ;)

Last edited:

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
I bet that was a short meeting......bottom line is every player can't be the highest paid player at their position in the NFL.

Verdict

Reaction score
He's an important player to this team whether people want to acknowledge it or not.

The guy can cover out wide, in the slot, and take on guys like Ertz.

This is a chess piece we need to keep. Giving away an All Pro corner would be a big loss.

You and I don’t agree often, but I would sign Byron over Cooper and save about $5m per year in the process.

Verdict

Reaction score
Byron is a lot more valuable to this defense than Jaylon or Tank. We paid the wrong guys.

DRella

Reaction score
Byron is a lot more valuable to this defense than Jaylon or Tank. We paid the wrong guys.

That is totally incorrect.

Tank is the glue that holds that line together. Do not look at sacks only, he doesn't more for this team defensively then any other player.

As for Jaylon, the cost of retaining him was a no brainer. He definitely will continue to get better with hope LVE can stay healthy. That is a great 1-2 punch at LB.

Pointing out the only 2 bright spots as the reason we cannot retain Jones is utterly stupid. If we had better players playing with them up front, who you play at CB is irrelevant. Pressure and ability to stop the running game is what makes a CB successful. Add to Tank and Jaylon up front, continue to draft CB's with same tool set as Jones for a fraction of the cost.

Verdict

Reaction score
That is totally incorrect.

Tank is the glue that holds that line together. Do not look at sacks only, he doesn't more for this team defensively then any other player.

As for Jaylon, the cost of retaining him was a no brainer. He definitely will continue to get better with hope LVE can stay healthy. That is a great 1-2 punch at LB.

Pointing out the only 2 bright spots as the reason we cannot retain Jones is utterly stupid. If we had better players playing with them up front, who you play at CB is irrelevant. Pressure and ability to stop the running game is what makes a CB successful. Add to Tank and Jaylon up front, continue to draft CB's with same tool set as Jones for a fraction of the cost.

Tank was WAY overpaid. An albatross of a contract so far.

I though Jaylon was probably a good signing at the time, but it’s not looking so great at this point.

Jones is a very valuable piece to the team. Make no mistake about it, if he leaves in free agency it is EXCLUSIVELY about salary cap, not level of play.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Byron Jones stinks...lol...what he's asking for...is absurd. The guy literally has ZERO interceptions in his last 40 games...yet...he expects to get paid. You just can't make this up...lol.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I bet that was a short meeting......bottom line is every player can't be the highest paid player at their position in the NFL.
No..

But owners like Jerrah try to it seems.

I am just amazed that after all the years of being on the wrong end of the cap..

after all the years of saving to be able to improve the team and return to relivence..

that we are going to blow it all on Jaylon, Tank, Zeke, Amari and who knows.

Unimaginable.