News: PFT: Cowboys meeting with Byron Jones' representation today

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Honestly it is worth paying for a guy who can just take your number 1 guy and say "He doesnt get to beat us". Teams that have CBs who can do that just win. The Bills made the playoffs off of that. The Patriots defense was carrying their team because of that. The Vikings made the playoffs off of that. For all the hype the MVP got, the Ravens had 2 of those guys and won games because of that. Having a great Safety helps with creating turnovers because the CB can take more risks but taking the top player out of the game is the job of your number 1 and having that number 1 is how teams win.

I actually agree with MM that defense gets you to the championship and usually defense starts with having 1-2 elite CBs to lock down their best players and then building around them.
He doesn't do that. He doesn't travel against the best Wrs. the other team moves their wrs around. Just because we have no creativity on offense doesn't mean others don't.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
It's about being a playmaker at the position. TBH do you know how hard it is to actually only have 2 ints in 5 years? Taking a combine warrior in the first round was a mistake. He's terrible against the run and provides nothing in zone. He's literally the reason rodgers was able to complete that pass to jared cook in 2016.

It's not..

The #1 thing for a CB is to be an Anti-Playmaker to the opposing teams playmaker.

Anything else is a bonus.

Also, I think the lack of INT's is a systematic thing.. This has gone on for awhile with these coaches we have that play a bend but don't break style.

Not to mention our coaches did a terrible job of identifying where Byron belonged on the football field.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
It's not..

The #1 thing for a CB is to be an Anti-Playmaker to the opposing teams playmaker.

Anything else is a bonus.

Also, I think the lack of INT's is a systematic thing.. This has gone on for awhile with these coaches we have that play a bend but don't break style.

Not to mention our coaches did a terrible job of identifying where Byron belonged on the football field.
He's an athlete. He doesn't have the instincts or tackling ability to play safety. That's why he had to move. He's good in man coverage that's it. And he doesn't have the instincts to turn his head, break on routes, etc. Just wait til he loses a step. He's gonna be Byron "burnt toast" Jones.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
No because chido isn't that good. His guy is usually open. Byron is average at best playing zone. Has zero instincts.
If he was average at best, they would have attacked him more. Chido not being that good wouldn't stop them from utilizing the whole field if Jones was leaving guys running wide open through his zone. This isn't a good argument.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I really hope they can get something worked out. One thing we don't need is to try to find another good CB.
Another good WR would be easier to find. Jones isn't a pickmeister but he shows up to play every game.

He may not be great but he is very good and they don't have a great track record with acquiring CB's.

They can try Gallup at the WR1 spot and draft a WR within the first 2 picks. If they lose Jones, who are they putting in that spot? Awuzie, Lewis or a rookie?

The O can stand a little backslide, the D? No way.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
If he was average at best, they would have attacked him more. Chido not being that good wouldn't stop them from utilizing the whole field if Jones was leaving guys running wide open through his zone. This isn't a good argument.
between jaylons ability in coverage, chido, jeff heath. there were plenty of holes in this defense.

cern

Reaction score
thanks for the memories, of sentimental verse, nothing in my purse...……………………...the home town discount won't work with Byron. he's very humble, ergo not promotable. there will be no endorsements in his future. so he's got to get it while he can.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
It's really simple. If they can keep Jones after signing Dak/Coop, they'll keep him. May not have ballhawk skills, but he’s shutting down receivers. And don't think Dallas isn't aware of it.

Big_D

Reaction score
Jones reps: he should be paid as a top CB.

Jerry: we cant afford that, will he be willing to take less?

Jones reps: nope!

All: ok good talk.

Jerry later on to the media: we made progress on Byron Jones! Meeting went well.

Daillest88

Reaction score
I know people want picks and all but Jones is worth the money. He allows like 50% of passes thrown his way complete which is top 5 in the league. That’s huge

quickccc

Reaction score
Cowboys have already beginning to set up that B-tier offer to Jones... take it or leave it

Walker

Texas Ranger
Reaction score
Before the new cap era we can get this done and save money in the long run, get it done!

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Dude ain’t giving a hometown discount. He will get $15 a year and he and his agent know it.

If Dallas doesn’t want to pay, other teams will.

Got to save the tag for Dak or Coop so he is going to be an UFA. Highly unlikely he returns which means our 1st is either a corner or safety.

Legend

Reaction score
Sign Byron, Quinn, and Cooper. Tag Dak or sign Brady and draft a QB.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I would be surprised if he is brought back also, I can not see how Dallas can pay him market value, but I do like the fact they are meeting with his people, I like him as a player.
I believe they do want him.

But by not discussing in the media, they have a better chance to come to an agreement.

Whom is being used as a comparative for Jones on any new deal?

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
all of these good players last year and the cowboys managed to win 8 games garrett and his bunch of clowns should of been tared and feathered
You have to ask stuff like your post.

And changing the HC and staff was the answer.

But not resigning one of our FAs seems realistic.

But having all three and managing only 8 and 8 does seem odd.