News: PFT: Cowboys plan to sit Dak Prescott in preseason finale

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Romo was already in his 30s and had a history of many injuries. His body was broken by 2016. Dak is not anywhere near there yet.

And in the play that he got injured on, I still believe Avril intentionally landed as he did on Romo to cause an injury. Even if not, it was an unusual tackle. Romo was essentially sitting down, and Avril fell directly on top of him.

Regardless, the same injury could have happened on the first play of the regular season just as easily, holding somebody out a few plays in the preseason to prevent injury is such a miniscule percentage of total plays, not even statistically significant...

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I never expected Dak to play in the preseason anyway, so this isn't news to me.

Cowfan75

Reaction score
It happens on other teams. Difference is we do it to protect his image. Jerry doesn't want him to take heat for stinking in a preseason game, even though it's meaningless.

Cowfan75

Reaction score
Since it is not a division game, they probably figure a victory doesn't matter all that much.

This is exactly Jerry's mindset. Play for what's really important...the NFC division title. I mean, 8 billion reasons to keep on keeping on.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
This is why teams have joint practices, as the Cowboys did with Denver and the Chargers. Starters play, but QBs and RBs are protected.

Preseason games are for revenue, determining backups, stadium workers getting the game day routine down, and practice for officials.

jnday

Reaction score

88sAndHeartbreak

Reaction score
Regardless, the same injury could have happened on the first play of the regular season just as easily, holding somebody out a few plays in the preseason to prevent injury is such a miniscule percentage of total plays, not even statistically significant...
The same argument could be had for the players actually playing in preseason.

Playing a few series ain't enough reps for a player to get used to the speed of the game. So the risk isn't equal to the reward.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If Dak is so fragile that he can’t play in what is nothing more than a practice game, he shouldn’t be in the NFL. Players seems to get more injuries from not being used to contact than being hurt from contact that they feel every day in practice and games.
A number of top NFL QB's have sat out the preseason games so far, and several of them are also expected to sit out the last one. as well. Wilson, Rodgers, Herbert and Murray aren't expected to play at all, and I expect there may be a few more.

bsbellomy

Reaction score
I never understood this reasoning. How does risking injury in preseason games avoid injury in regular season games?

I think the point was that Dak's injury was born out of a lack of preparation. Maybe you don't get that in a preseason game, but you certainly don't get it in a 50% speed walkthrough where no one is allowed to touch the QB.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I think the point was that Dak's injury was born out of a lack of preparation. Maybe you don't get that in a preseason game, but you certainly don't get it in a 50% speed walkthrough where no one is allowed to touch the QB.
I don't see how running, throwing, twisting, turning, etc., in preseason is less risky than in the regular season. They're still going full speed, and the outcome of the game is unimportant, which means opposing players, out to make an impression, are less likely to pull up to avoid penalties. I think preseason is more dangerous to a franchise QB.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
If Dak is so fragile that he can’t play in what is nothing more than a practice game, he shouldn’t be in the NFL. Players seems to get more injuries from not being used to contact than being hurt from contact that they feel every day in practice and games.
I'd like to hear what sports doctors think of this hypothesis.

shabazz

Reaction score

can’t risk losing the best player on the team. Plus he has a history of never getting injured, unlike Romo