News: PFT: Cowboys remain in search of safety help

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
He was half great player and half liability. Great with his pass rush, awful against the run. From the sounds of it, you want to focus on his pass rush and sacks and ignore all of the bad that comes with him too.

If he continues to be a liability against the run, he's a part time player, and certainly not a guy you're paying huge money or franchise tagging.

Show me where, other than less than a handful of plays against Philly, Irving was bad against the run. This is a myth built on those few plays.

In the eight games without Irving (including the final game in which the Eagles played a lot of backups), opponents rushed for 802 yards on 190 carries (4.22 average). In the eight games with Irving starting, opponents ran for 854 yards on 200 carries (4.27 average).

The defense without Irving did well on run defense against the Giants (12-35), Arizona (21-48), Seattle (31-76) and Philly (18-73) and poorly against Denver (25-178), LA Rams (31-168), the Giants (29-102, which is not a bad average) and Oakland (23-122), Only the Rams and Philly finished among the top 20 rushing teams (and again, Philly was playing a lot of backups in that game).

With Irving, the defense did well against Washington (15-39), Kansas City (19-68), LA Chargers (33-81) and Washington (19-56) and poorly against Green Bay (25-160), San Francisco (22-103), Atlanta (34-132) and Philly (33-215). KC, Green Bay, San Francisco and Philly all finished among the top 20 rushing teams.

To be fair, Sean Lee missing games has to be factored into the equation as well. He missed the Rams, Green Bay, Philadelphia, Chargers and second Washington game. So four of the five games he missed were games Irving started (and three of those were among our worst run-stopping performances).

So continue your agenda if you must, but we really were no worse against the run with Irving starting despite not having Lee for four of those eight games.

Now before you say that we must have taken him out against the run (because I believe you will look for a new excuse), Irving played between 56 percent and 77 percent of the snaps in the games he started. (Four games were above 70 percent, three in the 60s and one in the 50s.) For comparison purposes, Maliek Collins had two games over 80 percent, but the rest ranged from 45.8 to 75.4. (The 45.8 was against Philly in the finale, then there were 5 in the 50s, 3 in the 60s and 5 in the 70s, plus the 2 in the 80s) ... So Irving played 70-plus percent of the snaps in half his starts and Collins played 70 -plus percent of the games in 7 of his 16 starts.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Show me where, other than less than a handful of plays against Philly, Irving was bad against the run. This is a myth built on those few plays.

In the eight games without Irving (including the final game in which the Eagles played a lot of backups), opponents rushed for 802 yards on 190 carries (4.22 average). In the eight games with Irving starting, opponents ran for 854 yards on 200 carries (4.27 average).

The defense without Irving did well on run defense against the Giants (12-35), Arizona (21-48), Seattle (31-76) and Philly (18-73) and poorly against Denver (25-178), LA Rams (31-168), the Giants (29-102, which is not a bad average) and Oakland (23-122), Only the Rams and Philly finished among the top 20 rushing teams (and again, Philly was playing a lot of backups in that game).

With Irving, the defense did well against Washington (15-39), Kansas City (19-68), LA Chargers (33-81) and Washington (19-56) and poorly against Green Bay (25-160), San Francisco (22-103), Atlanta (34-132) and Philly (33-215). KC, Green Bay, San Francisco and Philly all finished among the top 20 rushing teams.

To be fair, Sean Lee missing games has to be factored into the equation as well. He missed the Rams, Green Bay, Philadelphia, Chargers and second Washington game. So four of the five games he missed were games Irving started (and three of those were among our worst run-stopping performances).

So continue your agenda if you must, but we really were no worse against the run with Irving starting despite not having Lee for four of those eight games.

Now before you say that we must have taken him out against the run (because I believe you will look for a new excuse), Irving played between 56 percent and 77 percent of the snaps in the games he started. (Four games were above 70 percent, three in the 60s and one in the 50s.) For comparison purposes, Maliek Collins had two games over 80 percent, but the rest ranged from 45.8 to 75.4. (The 45.8 was against Philly in the finale, then there were 5 in the 50s, 3 in the 60s and 5 in the 70s, plus the 2 in the 80s) ... So Irving played 70-plus percent of the snaps in half his starts and Collins played 70 -plus percent of the games in 7 of his 16 starts.

I don't need any "excuse". I presented my case. If anybody's trying to make excuses, it you and your long-winded attempts here. And unlike you, I'm not looking at one part of the equation with Irving, but the total package. Warts and all. Because I can take it and I can accept them. You obviously can't.