News: PFT: Cowboys remain in search of safety help

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
The only way they trade for et is if he continues to hold out. Seahawks clearly aren’t going to pay him that it came out during the draft they called the cowboys asking for their second round pick.
I think it's been reported by Fisher that we won't pay ET for what he's wanting either.

His quote was to the effect of "the Seahawks asking price and Thomas' contract demands would both have to go down quite a bit"

John813

Reaction score

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I think it's fair as well. I rather acquire Thomas and keep Irving, if they really wanted ET. He may be off, but his potential ability along with his freak size is something you rarely see. I rather not give a NFC rival a 25 year old DT that has shown the ability to take over games at times.

The only reasons I believe we should even consider letting Irving walk is if his production takes a steep decline or he proves to be so intolerable that we have to. And for the right amount of production, a certain amount of unpredictability and volatility is something I feel like the team should be willing to manage as it did when it acquired Haley in the '90s.

The key is the production. Haley produced so Dallas ignored the fact that he was sticking his junk in the faces of other players, was making other players punching mad, etc. Of course, San Francisco eventually got tired of his act, which is why we got him ... so the team certainly has to weigh everything in a long-term deal.

My feeling, though, is if there are behavioral questions for a player producing at a high rate, then you franchise him so you're not tied into a long-term deal.

Beaker42

Reaction score
What is there to admit? It’s not as if we weren’t already aware the Cowboys didn’t acquire a safety. It’s really that he was saying they looked for an opportunity get a safety, but didn’t find something they felt made sense.

Once James fell past 16 then it made sense to trade up for him. Use a pick from next yea’s draft as collateral. Kid’s gonna be a stud for the Chargers.

Time to look at who’s left out on the market.

pacboyX

Reaction score
I actually have confidence in Woods at FS. The potential for Frazier to beat out Heath for SS could be interesting. Then we can let one of these UDFA compete for fourth spot. I don’t really want a 29 year old if we have to sacrifice youth experience. Especially have all youth at secondary so we manswell get a fully young unit to grow together.

Here’s to the 100th year of asking to draft a S smh. (Not really 100 but you get the point)

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Eagles took advantage of his aggressiveness and trapped him when he shot through the line on a few plays. Some like to use this as evidence that he's a poor run player. It's not. It's an example of Philly understanding the defense's objective and taking advantage of it. We should recognize good play-calling for what it is ... and realize that it's up to the coordinator to adjust if teams try to do that.

The Philly game was an aberration that some who want to devalue Irving seem to want to use as the rule.

And those determined to prop him up want to pretend didn't happen.

It did.

Billyd

Reaction score
Trading Irving for Thomas? C'mon.

Yea, let's trade a 25 year old 3 tech that fits exactly what Rod wants out of his DTs for a 29 year old safety...
And then when we have only 1 legit passrusher in Lawrence watch how good Thomas is when he doesn't have a great passrush in front of him.

I was all for Heath to starter then I saw him getting washed and taking bad angles in the run game, realized that he was not a strong safety and accepted the fact he needed to be managed in his snaps and position on the field..I recognize he is a baller and has led the team in Ints, But some safetiez dont have the mindset to deal with the fatties at the los..

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I was all for Heath to starter then I saw him getting washed and taking bad angles in the run game, realized that he was not a strong safety and accepted the fact he needed to be managed in his snaps and position on the field..I recognize he is a baller and has led the team in Ints, But some safetiez dont have the mindset to deal with the fatties at the los..

Well, I think that's where a guy like Woods or Frazier come in. Heath is excellent in passing situations. Woods and Frazier have done well against the run as safeties go early in their careers. So, I think that's the rotation we'll have there. I also like that we got Kameron Kelly as an UDFA. I was of the opinion pre-draft that he was extremely underrated, and I think he'll be good for our team. I'm not so concerned about our Safety position as I am our 1 tech DT position. We don't necessarily need an elite secondary if we have a solid dline and LB core. I like the DEs we have, and I think we made a good improvement to our LBers through the draft. We're loaded for bear at the 3 tech position. All that's missing, imo, is 1 tech. We get that, and our secondary will improve because the QB will have to try to force the ball more.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
(Looks for a will McClay quote)

....wait you think we'd trade for a player without McClays approval....

That's really the hill you're willing to die on?

Find a quote from McClay saying we tried trading for Earl Thomas.
What a joke. Maybe you just dont know who McClay is? Which I could easily believe.

Again, I'm sorry I made you look bad bud. But yeah, McClay doesnt agree on your evaluation of Vaccaro.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
There was a lot of news coming out of New Orleans in the first month of last season that Vaccaro was benched because he was a liability in coverage and not putting in enough prep time for games. He was also benched in 2014, so last year was not the first time. Sounds more like a player that you sign to a one year "prove it" deal to.

Sounds more like a player you pass on.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Well, let's not act like he's awful lol. He's played better over the years, and he's gotten pretty good.

giphy.gif

200.gif

Bowdown27

Reaction score
I think it's been reported by Fisher that we won't pay ET for what he's wanting either.

His quote was to the effect of "the Seahawks asking price and Thomas' contract demands would both have to go down quite a bit"
That would make sense totally. He’s gonna be 30. He’s arguably best in the league but not for what he wants. We have a lot of young pieces we need to resign

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
And those determined to prop him up want to pretend didn't happen.

It did.

Yes, that's what's happening here. I'm pretending that Philly wasn't able to trap Irving on a few running plays for enormous gains.

No, what I'm doing is I'm looking at the big picture, where Irving was a weapon of mass destruction for most of the time he played last season, far surpassing any other DT we used that year. If we're going to be objective we can't pick and choose a few moments to determine a player's value.

Now, maybe Philly found a flaw in his game that other teams will exploit. Maybe whatever personal issues Irving has will derail him this year. Maybe someone else will step up and be better. But it's quite ridiculous to emphasize a few plays and ignore the body of work, which you seem determined to do for some reason.

Tell me this, because it will probably tell me all I need to know, do you think that Irving was by far the best interior defensive lineman we put on the field last year? No caveats about his personality quirks or whatever, just based on his play.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes, that's what's happening here. I'm pretending that Philly wasn't able to trap Irving on a few running plays for enormous gains.

No, what I'm doing is I'm looking at the big picture, where Irving was a weapon of mass destruction for most of the time he played last season, far surpassing any other DT we used that year. If we're going to be objective we can't pick and choose a few moments to determine a player's value.

And yet, that's exactly what you're trying to do. Some "weapon of mass destruction" when he's a key part of the Cowboys getting run over for 200 yards and blown out.

Now, maybe Philly found a flaw in his game that other teams will exploit. Maybe whatever personal issues Irving has will derail him this year. Maybe someone else will step up and be better. But it's quite ridiculous to emphasize a few plays and ignore the body of work, which you seem determined to do for some reason.

Tell me this, because it will probably tell me all I need to know, do you think that Irving was by far the best interior defensive lineman we put on the field last year? No caveats about his personality quirks or whatever, just based on his play.

He was half great player and half liability. Great with his pass rush, awful against the run. From the sounds of it, you want to focus on his pass rush and sacks and ignore all of the bad that comes with him too.

If he continues to be a liability against the run, he's a part time player, and certainly not a guy you're paying huge money or franchise tagging.

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
....wait you think we'd trade for a player without McClays approval....

That's really the hill you're willing to die on?

Find a quote from McClay saying we tried trading for Earl Thomas.
What a joke. Maybe you just dont know who McClay is? Which I could easily believe.

Again, I'm sorry I made you look bad bud. But yeah, McClay doesnt agree on your evaluation of Vaccaro.
After everything is over I’m sure they will address Thomas.