News: PFT: Dak Prescott holds the cards in contract talks with Cowboys

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wish this team would start at least trying to draft and develop a replacement. They're so short sighted and reactionary smh.

You could get leverage by drafting his replacement early...we burn 2nd round picks on gambles anyhow. But am hoping for the best with Schoonmaker.
Anything is possible but using a first, second or third round pick on a future projected franchise quarterback would be a first for Jerry Jones in the post-Jimmy Johnson era when his roster already has one.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
We don’t need Dak to win regular season football games and he sure as heck isn’t a guy that elevates his game in the post season.

Making Dak rich needs to stop being the Cowboys priority.

He’s not going to get better with age. The more athleticism he loses and the more we rely on his arm talent the worse off we are.

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
That’s the problem with a lot of you here, you hope the team will lose so they’ll move on from Dak. You think that’s going to guarantee landing a better QB? Lol You would never think the Cowboys have gone 12-5 the past two seasons and won a playoff game last season. I’m glad fans like you don’t run the team. Dak may have his flaws, but it’s not going to be easy finding a better QB than him.
I don’t disagree that finding a QB is hard. I also agree that Dak is better than half the starting QB’s in the league.

The reason I want Dak gone is because I don’t believe he’s capable of winning a championship. And that’s what I expect from the Cowboys….championships.

TexasHillbilly

Reaction score
That goes to show how difficult it is evaluating QBs, which is why so many go bust. Everyone thought Alex Smith was better than Aaron Rodgers. Everyone thought several QBs were better than Tom Brady. I could go on and on.
It doesn't matter how much you go on, some still won't get it.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I don’t disagree that finding a QB is hard. I also agree that Dak is better than half the starting QB’s in the league.

The reason I want Dak gone is because I don’t believe he’s capable of winning a championship. And that’s what I expect from the Cowboys….championships.
So what’s your plan if he’s gone? Who are you going to get that’s capable of winning a championship with this team? Do you think a QB that’s been kicked to the curb by another team gives us a better chance? Your odds on drafting a QB that ends up better than Dak is less than 50-50. I’m not moving on from him until I know we have a better QB on the roster. At least he’s giving us a chance.

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
So what’s your plan if he’s gone? Who are you going to get that’s capable of winning a championship with this team? Do you think a QB that’s been kicked to the curb by another team gives us a better chance? Your odds on drafting a QB that ends up better than Dak is less than 50-50. I’m not moving on from him until I know we have a better QB on the roster. At least he’s giving us a chance.
You sound like Jerry. You’re just afraid of the uncertainty. This team isn’t even pursuing a better option.

btgboys41

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak doesn’t hold the cards. Jerry and son love him and want to sign him. His contract is working out just as they prefer by using him as a bank since they want him around long term. If they didn’t want him, then he’d have some cards cuz Jerry and Stephen wouldn’t want to take the hit to rid of him.

This is by their design with Dak as the beneficiary. I think it’s the wrong approach but it ain’t my cap. It’s fantasy to think they won’t extend him and gladly. I also think Jerry feels good having a top paid qb. It makes him think he’s eye to eye with the other teams and owners who have the 4-6 top line QBs.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
You sound like Jerry. You’re just afraid of the uncertainty. This team isn’t even pursuing a better option.
You sound like Jerry by avoiding answering the question. You want Dak gone so what’s your plan for finding a better QB than him? With you and some others here running the team the Cowboys would end up like Washington.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak doesn’t hold the cards. Jerry and son love him and want to sign him. His contract is working out just as they prefer by using him as a bank since they want him around long term. If they didn’t want him, then he’d have some cards cuz Jerry and Stephen wouldn’t want to take the hit to rid of him.

This is by their design with Dak as the beneficiary. I think it’s the wrong approach but it ain’t my cap. It’s fantasy to think they won’t extend him and gladly. I also think Jerry feels good having a top paid qb. It makes him think he’s eye to eye with the other teams and owners who have the 4-6 top line QBs.
Jerry says he is a gambler, risk taker. Well in this case he needs to take advice from Kenny Rodgers.
Know when to hold them and known to fold them.

He has held them for too long, and still have not won what he wants to win, his way. So maybe he needs to fold. And move on with a new deck (QB). :laugh:

But we know that will not happen. So will still pull for Dak to turn it around. I don't dislike Dak, but not as high on him either. I will see what happens this season and go from there.

JBS

Reaction score
Sorry, but I don’t agree with Florio’s take at all. But it’s not surprising as his ‘pro-player’ stance is well established.

Dak has to earn more money in an extension. Because he hasn’t earned the amounts he’s been getting the past several years.

I’d rather cut the cord and take $60 million in lumps for past mistakes than to compound it to $200 million for a guy who’s shown to not be worth it.

Don’t compound one mistake with another.
No. Florio is spot on here. And the cowboys have already backed themselves into a corner they cannot get out of. Dak is going to be extended. They’ve screwed it up royally

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I did answer. Pursue a better option and move on when you find it.
The odds of finding a better option while he’s here are slim, because like you said he’s better than half the QBs in the league. Finding him was a stroke of luck. If you have a QB that’s better than half the QBs in the league then they’re good enough to win a championship. The problem is the Cowboys don’t have a good enough team around him. We’ve had issues on the OL. We’ve had issues stopping the run. We had issues running the ball consistently. We’ve had coaching issues. Anyone who thinks Dak is the number one reason the Cowboys can’t get over the hump are wrong. We could never get over the hump with Romo and he wasn’t the number one reason. No QB is perfect they need a solid team around them.

btgboys41

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry says he is a gambler, risk taker. Well in this case he needs to take advice from Kenny Rodgers.
Know when to hold them and known to fold them.

He has held them for too long, and still have not won what he wants to win, his way. So maybe he needs to fold. And move on with a new deck (QB). :laugh:

But we know that will not happen. So will still pull for Dak to turn it around. I don't dislike Dak, but not as high on him either. I will see what happens this season and go from there.
Personally I would prefer a far different path over extending and investing in him further out. Since Jerry loves him so much, I can only hope they massively prioritize the O line for protection and running game, and D line to give the offense more possessions. I think whatever Dak is capable of will be maximized with our best lines.

I get reserving top dollars for QBs, but not in conjunction with Big money on RBs, WRs, and corners. I generally think the biggest money should go to those closest to the ball.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Bingo! Back in 2018 most of us said the Cowboys were making a big mistake....and now it's coming back to bite them in the butt.

I will NEVER understand what Jerry was thinking. Not signing Dak to a 5-7 year deal back then was a horrible miscalculation.

Prescott will have a cap number of $59.455 million in 2024. We can't live with that. So he will get an extension that will overpay him so much it makes me want to throw up.
Everyone says this and nobody will answer the question of why Dak would sign that.

With the tag, Dak's contract was effectively 5x$191m. Anyone who thinks he was going to sign for 5x$35m or something is flat out wrong. He had absolutely no incentive to sign for any term beyond 4 years because he would be costing himself so much in a rising cap, especially considering the age of his next contract. Every player knows this, it's why they all sign 4-year deals.

He will probably be the highest-paid quarterback in the league until the next year when the subsequent round of QBs sign extension. Every QB in the league holds all the cards. You think Joe burrow is going to sign for 7x$55 right now? lol

conner01

Reaction score
The QB’s almost always hold the cards and always will when half the league has a QB not considered in the top half of the league. There just isn’t ever 32 top tier QB’s and never will be

silvernblu

Reaction score
Dak’s cards:

2 of hearts
3 of diamonds
4 of clubs
5 of spades
7 of hearts