News: PFT: Dak Prescott holds the cards in contract talks with Cowboys

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
The QB’s almost always hold the cards and always will when half the league has a QB not considered in the top half of the league. There just isn’t ever 32 top tier QB’s and never will be
Exactly, this is nothing new.......
I get the frustration of fans......hell I'm one of them but you have to keep the big picture in mind. Who's replacing him? Are you ready to start over coz we know he's good enough to get us to post-season consistently? We were this close to the NFCCG last season and that was after losing starting RB and having only one primary WR. Just me, but I'm ready to start over, not yet. To me, he and MM are tied together. Unless you're giving MM an extension, you don't take away his starting QB with only 2 years left on his contract. This is why I would offer Dak an extension of two years max after this season, take it or leave it. This way if he can't get it done with MM, I can trade him before hiring a new coach.

This post-season drought kinda reminds me of the 90's when we kept banging at the door but couldn't get past the Packers. Two straight years the 49ers have been in our way but just feel this could be the year we break that cycle.

Remember IF we make the NFCCG, Dak will likely play his entire career with the Cowboys.....

Hadenough

Reaction score
That goes to show how difficult it is evaluating QBs, which is why so many go bust. Everyone thought Alex Smith was better than Aaron Rodgers. Everyone thought several QBs were better than Tom Brady. I could go on and on.
Yes the fact that it's not easy to find a real good QB is all the more reason to start churning the pile of QBs. Dallas should be looking at drafting one. And when a sure fire guy comes along trade 3 #1s to move up and take him. Yes sacrifices have to be made if you want to get better. I've already wanted Dallas to go after Andrew Luck when he came out. The Colts ruined him. Dallas should of traded Romo and draft picks to get him. I wanted Trevor Lawrence and Dallas should of packaged a deal to move up to get him. So no it's not really that hard if your willing to part with draft picks. Jerry is too freaking cheap! Oh and Jerry could of called Tom Brady and at least tried to lure him to Dallas instead of giving Dak that big money.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Yes the fact that it's not easy to find a real good QB is all the more reason to start churning the pile of QBs. Dallas should be looking at drafting one. And when a sure fire guy comes along trade 3 #1s to move up and take him. Yes sacrifices have to be made if you want to get better. I've already wanted Dallas to go after Andrew Luck when he came out. The Colts ruined him. Dallas should of traded Romo and draft picks to get him. I wanted Trevor Lawrence and Dallas should of packaged a deal to move up to get him. So no it's not really that hard if your willing to part with draft picks. Jerry is too freaking cheap! Oh and Jerry could of called Tom Brady and at least tried to lure him to Dallas instead of giving Dak that big money.
You leaving out a lot of QBs taken 1st and/or 2nd overall that have B word attached to their names

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
The Eagles recently proved that even SB MVP QBs never hold all the cards unless the GM is a moron.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I believe the cowboys got a good look at Mr. Prescott at the end of the season and have decided to eat their disaster.

I just hope they're not gonna let him sit all pre season and expect him to perform when the season begins.
What are the odds of Dak deciding to hold out if they don't redo his deal?

DandyDon52

Reaction score
The four year deal was unprecedented for a starting QB with no years remaining on his existing contract.

Caving in on that might be a top 3 worst mistake Jerry has made, and that is saying something.
lol jerry was proud of that deal !!

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Yes the fact that it's not easy to find a real good QB is all the more reason to start churning the pile of QBs. Dallas should be looking at drafting one. And when a sure fire guy comes along trade 3 #1s to move up and take him. Yes sacrifices have to be made if you want to get better. I've already wanted Dallas to go after Andrew Luck when he came out. The Colts ruined him. Dallas should have traded Romo and draft picks to get him. I wanted Trevor Lawrence and Dallas should have packaged a deal to move up to get him. So no it's not really that hard if your willing to part with draft picks. Jerry is too freaking cheap! Oh and Jerry could have called Tom Brady and at least tried to lure him to Dallas instead of giving Dak that big money.
I agree we need to start drafting one, but you can’t be giving up the farm because there’s rarely a sure fire guy. Those only come along maybe once every couple of decades. Patrick Mahomes wasn’t a sure fire guy, but he’s turned out the best of anyone since Tom Brady and no one thought Brady was a sure fire guy. You wanted Andrew Luck and if you were in charge, we would’ve given up the farm for a QB who only lasted six seasons and never won a championship. The Colts didn’t ruin him, he got beat up due to his style of play. You wanted to give up the farm for Trevor Lawrence but he still hasn’t arrived yet and may never become what everyone thought. Dak threw 37 TDs in 2021 which is the same number Lawrence has had his entire career. You’re another fan I’m glad doesn’t run the team. If it was up to you, we wouldn’t have any draft picks with all the picks you would be giving away for QBs.

88sAndHeartbreak

Reaction score
This is the best TEAM Dallas has had in forever. Gambling three 1st, like qb is the teams ONLY problem isnt a smart idea. Were you around for the years between Aikman and Romo? If you were you'd know how bad of an idea that is.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
This is why I would offer Dak an extension of two years max after this season, take it or leave it.
That means adding $62m of the existing bonus to the CAP in a two year span.....before you even pay him a dime. Dak/France played the last negotiation so that he could to this position and benefit from the additional CBA tv money. If there's an extension it'll be for a LONG time

CWR

Reaction score
Bingo! Back in 2018 most of us said the Cowboys were making a big mistake....and now it's coming back to bite them in the butt.

I will NEVER understand what Jerry was thinking. Not signing Dak to a 5-7 year deal back then was a horrible miscalculation.

Prescott will have a cap number of $59.455 million in 2024. We can't live with that. So he will get an extension that will overpay him so much it makes me want to throw up.

Not necessarily, he has two void years. If we don't extend him we will have two years of dead money totaling 25-30 million each year. Which sucks, but it doesn't put you in crisis mode.

They have zero business extending him without seeing how he performs post KM.

It seems like a really good qb prospect drops ever year. Just take one next year if we have to. The rookie contract will offset 2 years of Daks dead money.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
The article doesn't make sense right from the start. Why do they need to fix next year now? They've restructured his contract every year without doing it a year ahead of time.
Because extending a deal early usually results in better salary numbers for the team over the first few years of the deal, when it really counts.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The only thing Dak holds is Walter whatever award as it will be the only trophy he holds in his hands.
Extending Dak is team suicide and it will take its toll on the fan base who after 28 years of hunger have simply had enough of the Jones Clown show.
This coming season the Dak Fraudo show ends!

PAPPYDOG

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The article doesn't make sense right from the start. Why do they need to fix next year now? They've restructured his contract every year without doing it a year ahead of time.
Todd France is at work again.
When it comes to selling this most inept QB they do a fantastic job.
Wish his play on the field was the same quality.

Hadenough

Reaction score
This is the best TEAM Dallas has had in forever. Gambling three 1st, like qb is the teams ONLY problem isnt a smart idea. Were you around for the years between Aikman and Romo? If you were you'd know how bad of an idea that is.
I was around but they never moved up and drafted a QB early since Aikman. I know it's a lot to give up but there are ways to recoup not having a #1 by the money you save on a rookie QB contract you could pay a top tier FA.

mcmvp

Reaction score
Sorry, but I don’t agree with Florio’s take at all. But it’s not surprising as his ‘pro-player’ stance is well established.

Dak has to earn more money in an extension. Because he hasn’t earned the amounts he’s been getting the past several years.

I’d rather cut the cord and take $60 million in lumps for past mistakes than to compound it to $200 million for a guy who’s shown to not be worth it.

Don’t compound one mistake with another.
I agree with you. I didn't read the article, but I assume Florio was talking about the cap number. It all comes down to the Cowboys level of fear and how they react to it. Are they assuming they have a roster that, with Dak, they will never be drafting high enough to have a shot a replacement? Are they afraid they won't get lucky again and get a good QB that wasn't drafted high in the 1st round? If they are afraid of the unknown (the replacement QB), then yes Dak holds most of the cards.

They shouldn't be afraid at all, but most teams are (see the Giants). You would think the Cowboys would be a team that would be completely fearless to move on. Their last two franchise QBs were undrafted and a 4th rounder respectively. But they might consider that to be more luck more than giving credit to the team they built around those guys.

PAPPYDOG

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I believe the cowboys got a good look at Mr. Prescott at the end of the season and have decided to eat their disaster.

I just hope they're not gonna let him sit all pre season and expect him to perform when the season begins.
What are the odds of Dak deciding to hold out if they don't redo his deal?
Dak hold out???
Excuseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee me???
Only players with true TALENT hold out and Dak simply doesn't qualify!
The end.....

BoyzBlaster

Reaction score
You sound like Jerry by avoiding answering the question. You want Dak gone so what’s your plan for finding a better QB than him? With you and some others here running the team the Cowboys would end up like Washington.
The thing you miss is we ALREADY ARE Washington if you look at this century and your benchmark is post season success. We are down with the dregs.