News: PFT: Dak Prescott holds the cards in contract talks with Cowboys

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He always looks confused when he plays the 49ers. A vet with that much mileage on him should NEVER be that confused.
Does this look like a QB whos confused???? :muttley:
dam-dak.gif

Swagger

Reaction score
Since his injury, Dak's QBR is in the 50s. Two run TDs per year. It was 6 in his first 3 years.
Without the run dimension, he's pretty average.
On the flip side, *with* the run dimension, he was a very good QB.

Dak is a case study on how to build a team, and how not to build a team.

Draft QBs who can run and throw and *run* them.
Sign them long term only if they turn out to be Aaron Rodgers. Otherwise, churn them.
Keep the mid round QBs coming. Pick up vets on the cheap who can and will run. Use more roster spots on QB, because *they matter*. Developing a QB on the cheap is a *huge* win.

*Don't* sign a QB long term unless you've got a HOF QB in the making. Move on a keep shopping.
Fully agree. I got laughed out of here for stating the same 2-3 years back.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Bingo! Back in 2018 most of us said the Cowboys were making a big mistake....and now it's coming back to bite them in the butt.

I will NEVER understand what Jerry was thinking. Not signing Dak to a 5-7 year deal back then was a horrible miscalculation.

Prescott will have a cap number of $59.455 million in 2024. We can't live with that. So he will get an extension that will overpay him so much it makes me want to throw up.
I suggest joining the Eagles forum.

shabazz

Reaction score
Don’t compound one mistake with another.
It reminds me of the scene in Talladega Nights when they stuck a knife next to the knife that was already in Ricky Bobby’s leg to remove it

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
What you're saying is what they've been doing every year. Taking his base and converting it in bonus money. Pushing it forward. They don't need to restructure him now. It's pointless. Wait until next year to do that. Any future extension would hinge largely on what happens in this upcoming season.
They can't just take his base and push it forward next year because there are no more years on the deal.

Flamma

Reaction score
They can't just take his base and push it forward next year because there are no more years on the deal.
But they already did that. He's got another year and two void years. After this season they can extend him and do the same thing. They'll add more years. Nothing more has to be done this season. Even though they may do something. There is zero reason to extend Dak this season. But I'm sure they will next season if they don't this season. It would take an epic collapse for them not to do it.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I will say this is even though I posted that an extension is coming for Dak because the Cowboys/Dak want each other. Next season’s draft could have up to 6 first round quarterbacks in it. The PAC 12 alone might have 4 quarterbacks that will be early selections. The draft capital to move up and get one of those guys might not be to crazy. If one of those quarterback prospects fall to us, I could see the Cowboys drafting them even with Dak’s extension.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I will say this is even though I posted that an extension is coming for Dak because the Cowboys/Dak want each other. Next season’s draft could have up to 6 first round quarterbacks in it. The PAC 12 alone might have 4 quarterbacks that will be early selections. The draft capital to move up and get one of those guys might not be to crazy. If one of those quarterback prospects fall to us, I could see the Cowboys drafting them even with Dak’s extension.
Yep, next year's draft class and the $34m CAP saving are the reasons that 2024 is the year to make the decision.
The comment "COWBOYS/DAK WANT EACH OTHER" is interesting as Jerry needs him commercially but I wonder whether there are at least some considerations that his play (especially based on last year) isnt getting us to the promised land).

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
....for those that quote the failure rate of drafted QB's...drafting is our strong suit, plus how many of those fail as their drafted into losing teams.
I'm with you I think they'll extend Dak, but that's based on an (expensive) better the devil you know +hope, whereas personally I think we know where/what Dak is and unless he can thrive (hopefully can) under a more suited WCO then its going to be a miserable couple of years.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Yep, next year's draft class and the $34m CAP saving are the reasons that 2024 is the year to make the decision.
The comment "COWBOYS/DAK WANT EACH OTHER" is interesting as Jerry needs him commercially but I wonder whether there are at least some considerations that his play (especially based on last year) isnt getting us to the promised land).
Dak saved the Cowboys bacon during the take a knee fiasco in 2018. Prescott lost lots respect from other players around the league because he backed the Joneses.There are only a handful of quarterbacks that can lead the Dallas Cowboys and Dak is certainly one of them.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
....for those that quote the failure rate of drafted QB's...drafting is our strong suit, plus how many of those fail as their drafted into losing teams.
I'm with you I think they'll extend Dak, but that's based on an (expensive) better the devil you know +hope, whereas personally I think we know where/what Dak is and unless he can thrive (hopefully can) under a more suited WCO then its going to be a miserable couple of years.
It’s business to the Joneses. The Cowboys just need to be relevant for the Joneses to make money. The Cowboys organization has made more money in the Dak Prescott era than at anytime before. Paying Dak 50+million a season is peanuts to the billion the Cowboys make off marketing alone.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Dak saved the Cowboys bacon during the take a knee fiasco in 2018. Prescott lost lots respect from other players around the league because he backed the Joneses.There are only a handful of quarterbacks that can lead the Dallas Cowboys and Dak is certainly one of them.
So as an off field commercial entity Jones loves him, what about on the field?
Jones certainly loved Zeke, until the on-field performance made him a liability.
We're returning into the realm of liking our own, based on subjectivity and not on-fidld performance.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Maybe we should just blow up the roster it took years to build, win like two games and end up drafting a guy like Zack Wilson.

Then we can fight to pay 60 million a year to the next hired gun who plays into his 40s.

Dak frustrates me as well at the worst times, but they are close enough with him where it makes sense to stay the course.

We aren’t stuck in mediocrity…they have been good under MM w a healthy Dak…we just need to find a way to stop being outcoached/executed by San Francisco when it counts most.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
So as an off field commercial entity Jones loves him, what about on the field?
Jones certainly loved Zeke, until the on-field performance made him a liability.
We're returning into the realm of liking our own, based on subjectivity and not on-fidld performance.
On the field Dak has been a top 10 quarterback. The reality is he had two bad games against San Francisco’s defense now the haters think he sucks. Neither Stafford or Hurts was impressive against the 49ers either.