News: PFT: Dak Prescott holds the cards in contract talks with Cowboys

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
I would rather throw darts until we hit on a QB than the status quo.
Dak will never be more than he is now.
thats the point though what darts.. we dont have the early round QB darts to throw without given up known assets.. Again your not getting that pick without hurting something and most teams would want your defensive gems.. would you blow this defense up at a chance to draft the next QB bust?

McMicah

Reaction score
Honestly, at this point I’d be interested in trading him. Yes we have no qb when that happens, but the eagles did this with Wentz and went to 2 SBs. Stack draft picks, roll the dice on a backup, draft a qb and offensive talent and start in a healthy cap environment. Why does anyone want to go through another decade of first round playoff losses? The man just isn’t consistent enough to win a SB. Nobody wants to admit that he was the weak link in our playoff loss this year.

Hardline

Reaction score
thats the point though what darts.. we dont have the early round QB darts to throw without given up known assets.. Again your not getting that pick without hurting something and most teams would want your defensive gems.. would you blow this defense up at a chance to draft the next QB bust?
Will Levis was on the board at 26. You didn't have to give up anything.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Will Levis was on the board at 26. You didn't have to give up anything.
do you feel like adding him instead of Mazi strengthens the team this year more than adding Mazi? Like i said your giving up a defensive gem to add a high % bust

Hadenough

Reaction score
Why would any team pay any QB when all you have to do is lose every year and draft P Mahomes the next draft...its so simple!!!
The problem is if you pay a good QB elite money your defeating the purpose of the salary cap. If more teams would step up to the plate and band together and say hey Dak or Cousins your not getting Mahomes money or you can just sit at home. But it's never gonna happen because the object of the league is to put people in the stands. Teams like Dallas do that even if their 8-8.
Let's be real though, Dallas can't compete with Dak putting up 12 points a game.

Hardline

Reaction score
do you feel like adding him instead of Mazi strengthens the team this year more than adding Mazi? Like i said your giving up a defensive gem to add a high % bust
QBs are worth the risk .What makes you think Mazi is a defensive gem? He could bust just as much as Levis.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
The problem is if you pay a good QB elite money your defeating the purpose of the salary cap. If more teams would step up to the plate and band together and say hey Dak or Cousins your not getting Mahomes money or you can just sit at home. But it's never gonna happen because the object of the league is to put people in the stands. Teams like Dallas do that even if their 8-8.
Let's be real though, Dallas can't compete with Dak putting up 12 points a game.
do you believe Dak averages 12 points a game? Or are you using 1 game as a spear head for an argument? The thing is we for the first time in decades have a real defense..and now some on here want to blow it up to get an early QB pick that by EVERY metric has a higher chance to be a worse QB than Dak is..why? you dont like Dak so you want to go through the post Troy years? The offense including
Dak needs to be better in playoff games, the team made the correct moves to do this WITHOUT throwing a top rated defense out the window...if Dak sucks then you will get your wish and they will start the QB hunt and hopefully we do get the next Pat Mahomes. My point stands we have a much better chance at getting the Jets last 5 Pat Mahomeses....

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
QBs are worth the risk .What makes you think Mazi is a defensive gem? He could bust just as much as Levis.
I dont think so but i could be wrong..I'm pretty sure 1st round QB's have the highest bust % out of any position and I dont think its close...

Mannix

Reaction score
------I’d rather cut the cord and take $60 million in lumps for past mistakes than to compound it to $200 million for a guy who’s shown to not be worth it.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thought of the week

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He turned down two offers including this one.
The point he turned down an offer to become the highest paid player in the league is when the Cowboys should have instantly decided to walk away. Instead it's been a series of one bad decision after another and look where that has got us now - facing a $60M cap hit next year on a QB that can't win a super bowl. There's dumb, then there is really dumb. We are in the thick of really dumb right now.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Honestly, at this point I’d be interested in trading him. Yes we have no qb when that happens, but the eagles did this with Wentz and went to 2 SBs. Stack draft picks, roll the dice on a backup, draft a qb and offensive talent and start in a healthy cap environment. Why does anyone want to go through another decade of first round playoff losses? The man just isn’t consistent enough to win a SB. Nobody wants to admit that he was the weak link in our playoff loss this year.
For sure, let's trade our M-1 tanks and replace them with Bradleys...

CCBoy

Reaction score
The point he turned down an offer to become the highest paid player in the league is when the Cowboys should have instantly decided to walk away. Instead it's been a series of one bad decision after another and look where that has got us now - facing a $60M cap hit next year on a QB that can't win a super bowl. There's dumb, then there is really dumb. We are in the thick of really dumb right now.
Even as is now, he's trainable with strong leadership that doesn't lose sight of where, when, and how.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
And BTW you have to give it correct context A very SMALL% of QB's are worth the risk...the rest just keep you taking the risk.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Right. But they already restructured his contract for this year. Extending him now would be redundant. Which is why I don't think he's getting an extension this year. He'll get one next year.
I don't know. They essentially just pushed money forward this year, making next year a "forced" extension because they are not going to pay $59 million nor take a $61 million dead cap hit (even though they could split it over two years). I think this year's restructure was a placeholder to create room. The trouble is how do you do it. Do you take his $29 base and turn most of it into bonus. Let's say for example you split $28 over four years. That means you are adding $7 million each of those years, starting with this year. Ups his cap hit this year to $33 million, but lowers his cap hit next year by $21 million to $38 million. 2025, though, would already be $32 million without any base added and 2026 would be $18 million before any base is added. Of course, we could add a couple of void years to spread the restructure bonus over six years instead of four. That would create more room to add bigger base amounts. (And the team could added fairly hefty base amounts that would be restructured and pushed into those void years, too.)

McMicah

Reaction score
For sure, let's trade our M-1 tanks and replace them with Bradleys...
If you’ve been losing the war for 10 years with your M1, why would that be an issue for one year if there’s a chance you can get something better

CCBoy

Reaction score
If you’ve been losing the war for 10 years with your M1, why would that be an issue for one year if there’s a chance you can get something better
You miss the point...those tanks did the job and the Bradley's wouldn't have done the same.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
In this trade scenario what do we lose? nothing? so the money is fake or are we losing #11 and diggs for, like you said a Cahnce a very small chance...

Flamma

Reaction score
I don't know. They essentially just pushed money forward this year, making next year a "forced" extension because they are not going to pay $59 million nor take a $61 million dead cap hit (even though they could split it over two years). I think this year's restructure was a placeholder to create room. The trouble is how do you do it. Do you take his $29 base and turn most of it into bonus. Let's say for example you split $28 over four years. That means you are adding $7 million each of those years, starting with this year. Ups his cap hit this year to $33 million, but lowers his cap hit next year by $21 million to $38 million. 2025, though, would already be $32 million without any base added and 2026 would be $18 million before any base is added. Of course, we could add a couple of void years to spread the restructure bonus over six years instead of four. That would create more room to add bigger base amounts. (And the team could added fairly hefty base amounts that would be restructured and pushed into those void years, too.)
What you're saying is what they've been doing every year. Taking his base and converting it in bonus money. Pushing it forward. They don't need to restructure him now. It's pointless. Wait until next year to do that. Any future extension would hinge largely on what happens in this upcoming season.