News: PFT: Dak Prescott won't commit to showing up, if he's tagged

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
Sitting in the open market he won't get a single sniff of what his supposed contract demands are.

He'll settle to be the interim QB for a team like the Dolphins for $20 mil. In two years after mediocre 8-8, 7-9 seasons the Cowboys can sign him to be an 'experienced' backup.

You're not in touch with reality.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Isn't that what you meant by the problem being that the Cowboys don't have anyone of consequence behind Dak? If not, then your point wouldn't make sense because having a backup that represents a significant drop in talent from the starter wouldn't have any impact on negotiations with the starter.

I dont recall even saying that it was common around the NFL. What I suggested, was getting someone in here, either young and talented, or a veteran that can win games. Someone where the team wouldnt completely fall apart if Dak held out.

Whether other teams do that a lot or not really wasn't a point at all. And to YOUR point, there were some instances around the NFL this year and QB's stepped in and did admirable jobs.

NYG, Carolina, Jacksonville, New Orleans come to mind off the top of my head.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
"Reportedly"?????? That was leaked by FO to turn fans against him. It's no secret fans favor management over players ALMOST 100% of the time during nego ( this I've read heard from at least couple former GMs). Dak is clearly on record saying he DOES NOT expect Wilson's money unless he wins a Super Bowl.

How do you know he didn't ask for 40? I mean, lets say it was 38, hell, lets say it was 35, Dak is not worth that at this point in his career. He may become a player who is worth that but then again, he may not.

Why is it a stretch to believe that his representation has asked for something like that? I mean, it's France's MO completely. Jerry has his faults but paying QBs or players in general is not one of them. If anything, he's overly willing to do this, where as France's track record suggest that he would absolutely ask for something like that and we also know that one of his tactics in negotiations is to have his players sit out if they don't get what they demand in terms of contracts. I mean, all of this is easily researched if you wish to do so. I've been trying to say this since 2018. Hiring Todd France sent a message to the Cowboys. None of this surprises me and I expected this exact tactic from the Prescott camp.

The Cowboys would be wise to go out and spend on a Vet QB now IMO. Would be wise to take a QB higher then many might expect. I'd absolutely do both of those things if I were the Cowboys. JMO

Tussinman

Reaction score
Not saying he should or shouldn't but I hardly blame him.

They had him start for almost 70 professional games for basically free at the most valuable position in the sport.

I wouldn't play on a "uhhh where unsure about you" tag.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I dont recall even saying that it was common around the NFL. What I suggested, was getting someone in here, either young and talented, or a veteran that can win games. Someone where the team wouldnt completely fall apart if Dak held out.

Whether other teams do that a lot or not really wasn't a point at all. And to YOUR point, there were some instances around the NFL this year and QB's stepped in and did admirable jobs.

NYG, Carolina, Jacksonville, New Orleans come to mind off the top of my head.
You indicated it was an issue with Jerry, so I felt it was only fair to point out that it isn't unique to Jerry. I don't disagree that it would be great to have the best backup possible, but the reality is that it's rare for teams to have backups that are good enough that will allow them to feel okay letting the starter walk if negotiations get tough. For example, Ryan Fitzpatrick would be a high quality backup who can win some games if he has to start, but he wouldn't cause a team to risk losing what they feel is a quality starter, especially if the starter is younger and has a chance to help the team for several years. As for younger backups, the best odds of having one that can step in win games is if the team uses a high draft pick on a QB, and that usually only happens when a team already has a problem at the QB position, or has an aging QB that is nearing retirement.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Not saying he should or shouldn't but I hardly blame him.

They had him start for almost 70 professional games for basically free at the most valuable position in the sport.

I wouldn't play on a "uhhh where unsure about you" tag.

This is not really true. The team tried to sign him to a new deal. They have been trying to sign him since 2018, I believe. I mean, it wasn't for a record deal obviously but it was for significantly more then he was making. The fact that Dak is playing for what he is playing for now is as much the fault of Dak and his camp as it is the Cowboys IMO.

visionary

Reaction score
How do you know he didn't ask for 40? I mean, lets say it was 38, hell, lets say it was 35, Dak is not worth that at this point in his career. He may become a player who is worth that but then again, he may not.

Why is it a stretch to believe that his representation has asked for something like that? I mean, it's France's MO completely. Jerry has his faults but paying QBs or players in general is not one of them. If anything, he's overly willing to do this, where as France's track record suggest that he would absolutely ask for something like that and we also know that one of his tactics in negotiations is to have his players sit out if they don't get what they demand in terms of contracts. I mean, all of this is easily researched if you wish to do so. I've been trying to say this since 2018. Hiring Todd France sent a message to the Cowboys. None of this surprises me and I expected this exact tactic from the Prescott camp.

The Cowboys would be wise to go out and spend on a Vet QB now IMO. Would be wise to take a QB higher then many might expect. I'd absolutely do both of those things if I were the Cowboys. JMO

agree completely

Tussinman

Reaction score
This is not really true. The team tried to sign him to a new deal. They have been trying to sign him since 2018, I believe. I mean, it wasn't for a record deal obviously but it was for significantly more then he was making. The fact that Dak is playing for what he is playing for now is as much the fault of Dak and his camp as it is the Cowboys IMO.
His agent knew it would only be an extension (not a completely new deal) so it would be stupid to sign months before Goff and Wentz set the bar/minimum with their deals.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
You indicated it was an issue with Jerry, so I felt it was only fair to point out that it isn't unique to Jerry. I don't disagree that it would be great to have the best backup possible, but the reality is that it's rare for teams to have backups that are good enough that will allow them to feel okay letting the starter walk if negotiations get tough. For example, Ryan Fitzpatrick would be a high quality backup who can win some games if he has to start, but he wouldn't cause a team to risk losing what they feel is a quality starter, especially if the starter is younger and has a chance to help the team for several years. As for younger backups, the best odds of having one that can step in win games is if the team uses a high draft pick on a QB, and that usually only happens when a team already has a problem at the QB position, or has an aging QB that is nearing retirement.

Well, I don't know how rare it is but I will say this. Few teams are talented enough to actually compete for a championship, year to year. Because of this along, it's probably more rare to carry a good back up then for most teams. I don't think you invest in a guy who is capable of winning as your back up, in todays NFL, as much, unless you are one of those teams. By default, there will be many fewer teams who do this. However, if you are one of those teams, then it's a wise investment IMO. This past year, if we have a backup who is capable of doing more then just carrying a clip board, there is a good chance we are in the playoffs IMO. Look at Philly in 2017. They invested in the position and they have a SB to show for it. I just think it's foolish not to do that but that's just my opinion.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
His agent knew it would only be an extension (not a completely new deal) so it would be stupid to sign months before Goff and Wentz set the bar/minimum with their deals.

So what. If money is what the concern is, who cares? It represented a way to make more money earlier. The fact that Dak has played for what he has played for is as much his fault as anybodies. He didn't have to. He could have agreed to extend or resign for more money.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
Dak, I'm a huge backer of you but you need to get it together dude..... NEGOTIATE means give and take not get your way 100%.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I've seen this kind of argument before, but realistically, how many teams have a backup QB that is actually very close to the starter in talent? Fans act like that's how it works with other teams, but it really doesn't. That's not to say that a lot of teams don't have a backup that is better than Rush, but it's rare for them to have a backup they would feel good about stepping in as the full time starter. There aren't even enough QBs at that level to cover the starting position for all 32 teams, much less both the starter and backup for all 32 teams.
One of the best I remember was the Aikman/Beuerlein era.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Well, I don't know how rare it is but I will say this. Few teams are talented enough to actually compete for a championship, year to year. Because of this along, it's probably more rare to carry a good back up then for most teams. I don't think you invest in a guy who is capable of winning as your back up, in todays NFL, as much, unless you are one of those teams. By default, there will be many fewer teams who do this. However, if you are one of those teams, then it's a wise investment IMO. This past year, if we have a backup who is capable of doing more then just carrying a clip board, there is a good chance we are in the playoffs IMO. Look at Philly in 2017. They invested in the position and they have a SB to show for it. I just think it's foolish not to do that but that's just my opinion.

True, In the case of Foles Philly had signed him as a backup for 5.5 mill a year. Foles had really never shown enough to hold a starting job but as a vet they trusted he would come off the bench on a moments notice and give them a chance. I would not mind having a vet backup. As for Rush everyone has an opinion but frankly he has never taken a snap in a reg season game but would like someone with game experience to backup Dak

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I'd like nothing better than to think you're right and hope you are. The FO caved when push came to shove with Zeke, so maybe this is a sign that the rest of the team is taking a clue from that happenstance. In any case, here's hoping this thing gets settled admirably for all concerned.

Additionally, I wouldn't be too surprised if the team decided to draft a QB to deliver a message -- just in case. Not saying it's a lock or anything of the sort but it's a possibility. Resorting to drastic measures oftentimes calls for a response. ;)

MM doesn't have any previously existing loyalties to Dak, and he has been apparently handed the reigns to build this team how he wants, at least with the staff so far.
MM might be intrigued with Dak, and is hopeful of a contract resolution so that he can make him a true franchise QB.
We don't know, but I wouldn't be surprised in the least if we drafted a QB regardless.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
So all this talk from Dak that money was never concern to him was all a fabrication. A flat out lie.

Well, I understand how you might see it this way and to be honest, I can't 100% say you are wrong here. However, I think we all need to probably understand that this is likely not all Dak. Todd France is a big part of this because of how he manages his reputation and how he leverages his marquee deals, in conjunction with Creative Artists. His thing is to negotiate record deals and then use that as his calling card for CA. He turns that around and says to potential clients, "Sign with CA and we will get you that record deal", so to speak. It's all kinda intertwined so I would suspect that a lot of why Dak and his camp are holding out for a record deal is because of how France wants to run this deal. Not only is a record deal money directly in France's pocket but it also represents future business.

Of course, it was Dak's decision to fire Jeff Guerriero and hire Todd France so there is, at least, shared responsibility there but yeah. I think a decent part of the narrative here is being driven by Frances and CA.

That's just my opinion.

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
Dak has never said he was seeking 40 mil
He has said he didn’t think he deserved Wilson money because Wilson has a ring
Tannehill, Winston and guys like that are gonna get much more than people think
Dak is gonna get near 35

Rusell Wilson is getting 31 Million in 2020 .

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
True, In the case of Foles Philly had signed him as a backup for 5.5 mill a year. Foles had really never shown enough to hold a starting job but as a vet they trusted he would come off the bench on a moments notice and give them a chance. I would not mind having a vet backup. As for Rush everyone has an opinion but frankly he has never taken a snap in a reg season game but would like someone with game experience to backup Dak

Well, I don't agree with any of this. IMO, Foles was a starting QB for many teams if he had the right situation. Heck, Foles could be Dak if he had the right supporting cast, IMO. We disagree 100% here. That's here nor there though Dooms. I agree, we absolutely need a Vet backup if we really want to challenge for a playoff run. Also agree on Rush. Even if he did have the talent, which I am not convinced he does (I mean, how could any of us know), he's never started anything so he's not the guy you want coming off the bench IMO. Besides, he's coming up on his 4th season. That means that he's going to start costing us because of his years vested. Is he worth a million a year or whatever, to keep? I think we need a good backup vet but I'm sure some might disagree.