News: PFT: Dez Bryant gets five years, $70 million from Cowboys

DallasCowboys2080

Reaction score
A touch more guaranteed money than Thomas as well...top of the bunch right now.

so does this matter more than total money on contract? everyone keeps saying Megatron gets paid more but Dez has more guaranteed as if thats a good thing?

jrumann59

Reaction score
No soft cap please...........it has all but ruined baseball :(

I wouldn't say baseball has true soft cap but the NBA does. You should get a discount against the cap for signing back your own guys like lets say 10-15% of the yearly cap hit of their contract but they have to play out the contract.

MrPeanutbutter

What is this, a crossover episode?
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I wouldn't say baseball has true soft cap but the NBA does. You should get a discount against the cap for signing back your own guys like lets say 10-15% of the yearly cap hit of their contract but they have to play out the contract.

I'm okay with this as long as the NFL were to move to a draft wheel model. Providing discounts encourages drafting high multiple seasons in a row. The wheel prevents that from happening and doesn't make losing too appealing.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Are the any guarantees offset against the inevitable holdout threats before the 2018 season when $12.5 million non guaranteed for that year ($25 million non guaranteed remaining on the deal) won't look like so much to a 29 year old Dez?

I think they will definitely revisit it before 2018. They will probably restructure him in 2017 and add 2 voidable years

He will bark about no guaranteed money left after 2017 but it will ring hollow after banking 45m

If he would just become the ATM for the cap to replace TSmith it will be OK

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
so does this matter more than total money on contract? everyone keeps saying Megatron gets paid more but Dez has more guaranteed as if thats a good thing?

Megatron got 53m guaranteed on 113m total @ 16m per year
Dez got 45m guaranteed on 70m @ 14m per year

DAL has some strong language in their new contracts that can void guarantees if a player gets arrested, suspended or fails a drug test. That is why they guaranteed a higher percentage.

Craig

Reaction score
Baseball doesnt have a soft cap. They just have a luxury tax. And how did it ruin baseball? It didnt really change anything, but it certainly was a move in the direction of improvement.

DallasCowboys2080

Reaction score
Megatron got 53m guaranteed on 113m total @ 16m per year
Dez got 45m guaranteed on 70m @ 14m per year

DAL has some strong language in their new contracts that can void guarantees if a player gets arrested, suspended or fails a drug test. That is why they guaranteed a higher percentage.

thanks man. says CJ got 43.8m guarenteed though?...

CKAjuJvUwAAiBb6.jpg

do you believe CJ is crippling his team with that contract?

Rogah

Reaction score
I think they will definitely revisit it before 2018.
I think they'll have to. He threatened to hold out this year but would have gotten more guaranteed this year signing the franchise tender than he is scheduled to get in 2018, which is not guaranteed (assuming current reports are correct).

He will bark about no guaranteed money left after 2017 but it will ring hollow after banking 45m
Eh, you always have the yokels saying "pay him what he is worth!" when a player wants to get out of a contract he freely and willingly signed in good faith.

This is one of those deals where everyone is happy on signing day but if he plays well, the player won't be happy with when there is still a year or 2 remaining. It's a problem I hope we have.

Last edited:

Craig

Reaction score
Yup, but luxury tax is under the soft-cap classification even though it isn't a true soft-cap.

Where does this classification come from. No one in baseball says anything about a cap...because there isnt one. The nfl has a hard cap, the nba has a soft cap and luxury tax, the mlb has only a luxury tax.