News: PFT: Ezekiel Elliott has privately said that he's planning a training-camp holdout

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
There is rookie contracts for a reason. And even I might overlook that if you would learn how to behave off the field.

I would let him walk before I would sign him to an extension right now. Maybe next year

Johnny23

Reaction score
The Steelers problems last year were on defense. James Connor but up some nice numbers filling in and made the pro bowl.
The biggest issue the Steelers have is in Tomlin IMHO. And you're right about the defense but nice numbers and all he still isn't the same match up threat. I do follow the Steelers.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
Welp, the Zeke is overrated, trade him, honor your contract crowd is out in full force I see.

Good job Florio for your fake article. You achieved what you wanted... clicks.

Zeke has not missed a single offseason workout, and has given zero indication that this was even in the discussion. The cowboys picked up his 5th year option, and have made comments he is due a big contract. So until there is proof this is all a bunch of hot air from Florio who has been pushing this narrative since March, April, June and now a few days before camp.

By chance did Florio ever find the Dez tape? We’ve seen this game before, and people still fall for it. Amazing

Sydla

Reaction score
This franchise cannot and should not be held hostage by a TB (again if there is any truth to this rumor), especially one in Zeke, who this franchise has backed and defended at every turn when he gets into an off the field situation. Jerry went to the mat for Zeke during the DV case and did his best to take on Goodell and the league office.

And here's the harsh reality........... the notion that you need and have to pay money for an elite TB in order to succeed isn't really born out by facts and reality. Look at the last 10 Super Bowls (in year played) and here were the TBs for those teams:

2019 - PATS (Sonny Michel, Rex Burkhead) vs Rams (Anderson, Gurley)
2018 - EAGLES (Blount, Ajayi, Clement) vs Pats (Burkhead, Lewis, White)
2017 - PATS (Blount, White, Lewis) vs Falcons (Coleman, Freeman)
2016 - BRONCOS (Hillman, Anderson) vs (Stewart, Artis-Payne)
2015 - PATS (Blount, Vereen, White) vs Seahawks (Lynch, Lacey, Turbin, Spiller)
2014 - SEAHAWKS (Lynch, Turbin, Michael) vs (Moreno, Hillman, Anderson)
2013 - RAVENS (Rice, Pierce) vs 49ers (Gore, Dixon)
2012 - GIANTS (Bradshaw, Jacobs) vs (Faulk, Vereen, Green-Ellis)
2011 - PACKERS (Starks, Jackson) vs Steelers (Mendenhall, Moore, Dwyer)
2010 - SAINTS (Bush, Thomas, Bell) vs Colts (Addai, Brown)

You look at that list and that's not exactly a who's who of elite TBs. You have Gurley and Lynch, who you could argue were elite TBs at that particular time, but the others? Mostly, teams have just churned the TB position over the years through FA or the draft and built their running back positions that way.

So when someone says a team needs Elliott to win, that brings up two questions:

1) Given that the recent run of SB teams have largely not needed elite, highly paid TBs to succeed, why do we?

2) If we do need him to succeed, then what's that say about our QB and having to pay him elite QB money?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This franchise cannot and should not be held hostage by a TB (again if there is any truth to this rumor), especially one in Zeke, who this franchise has backed and defended at every turn when he gets into an off the field situation. Jerry went to the mat for Zeke during the DV case and did his best to take on Goodell and the league office.

And here's the harsh reality........... the notion that you need and have to pay money for an elite TB in order to succeed isn't really born out by facts and reality. Look at the last 10 Super Bowls (in year played) and here were the TBs for those teams:

2019 - PATS (Sonny Michel, Rex Burkhead) vs Rams (Anderson, Gurley)
2018 - EAGLES (Blount, Ajayi, Clement) vs Pats (Burkhead, Lewis, White)
2017 - PATS (Blount, White, Lewis) vs Falcons (Coleman, Freeman)
2016 - BRONCOS (Hillman, Anderson) vs (Stewart, Artis-Payne)
2015 - PATS (Blount, Vereen, White) vs Seahawks (Lynch, Lacey, Turbin, Spiller)
2014 - SEAHAWKS (Lynch, Turbin, Michael) vs (Moreno, Hillman, Anderson)
2013 - RAVENS (Rice, Pierce) vs 49ers (Gore, Dixon)
2012 - GIANTS (Bradshaw, Jacobs) vs (Faulk, Vereen, Green-Ellis)
2011 - PACKERS (Starks, Jackson) vs Steelers (Mendenhall, Moore, Dwyer)
2010 - SAINTS (Bush, Thomas, Bell) vs Colts (Addai, Brown)

You look at that list and that's not exactly a who's who of elite TBs. You have Gurley and Lynch, who you could argue were elite TBs at that particular time, but the others? Mostly, teams have just churned the TB position over the years through FA or the draft and built their running back positions that way.

So when someone says a team needs Elliott to win, that brings up two questions:

1) Given that the recent run of SB teams have largely not needed elite, highly paid TBs to succeed, why do we?

2) If we do need him to succeed, then what's that say about our QB and having to pay him elite QB money?
Simple answer, player vs team.

I've known a lot of fans in my lifetime but no fan matches most Cowboys fans when it comes to being all about a player(s) vs all about their team. And you see proof of that here every minute of the day.

Hell, they don't even have to be a long time player, they can be a new one like Hardy and get all kinds of fans defending his innocence because he paid off the victim. But he's a Cowboy now.

Your list is impressive and applause to you for the work but most will "yeah but" that because they want the player and think the Cowboys will be different than those 20 teams. It stopped being about an elite RB some time back when two better than Elliott, Peterson and Tomlinson, failed to deliver anything.

Some also don't look deeper into just when RB's have really delivered for their team and the one thing that is required with every RB to deliver, a strong defense. Taylor, Dorsett, Harris, Emmitt and Lynch and name any NE RB when they're won it all.

Some are the same as some GM's and HC's that see the trees and miss the forest. One guy sees the forest and that's all he sees.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The biggest issue the Steelers have is in Tomlin IMHO. And you're right about the defense but nice numbers and all he still isn't the same match up threat. I do follow the Steelers.

And yet, Tomlin has a ring. I think Tomlin is a good coach and he's proven it. The locker room has been an issue for a few years. You get too many selfish diva's and it hurts team morale. Losing shazier was also a huge blow.

Looks like they finally got rid of the problem players and have taken the lock room back. I wouldn't bet against them. Bell is about to find out what how much he benefitted from a great OL.

J-man

Reaction score
I know this will piss a lot of you off, but the fact is there is no reason to give him a long term deal. As good as he is, he's just not worth the big $.
The amount of use and abuse he gets, he will start declining in 3-4 years. They can keep him here that entire time without giving him a long term deal. His rookie deal isn't up until after the 2020 season. + another 1-2 years after that via the franchise tag if they choose to do so.
The FO knows this, they are not in any hurry to sign him long term. Especially with more of his off the field issues again surfacing.
Why do you think they drafted Pollard? For a change of pace and added talent depth yes, but also because RB lifespans are limited and volatile.
*BOLD PREDICTION* I predict you will see Pollard getting way more touches than anyone thinks.

The bottom line is he's a headache player at a position of hard, heavy use. History has proven that in the long run, they aren't usually worth the long term commitment.
Sorry, well, not really. The truth hurts the most.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
T

:

Lets dig deeper into your list of teams. Do we have a Brees, Brady, Oeyton manning, or how about an all time great defense like the ravens had? While those teams might have not had an OJ Simpson type talent, they have very good running backs in the lead spot. Like I said, Id be ok losing zeke if we had a Brady, Brees, Rodgers typr guy behind center..... but we dont, so we better have a zeke type guy running the ball.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
The photo in your signature is SUBLIME. Go back to those uniforms, please!

I know! Those are my favorite blue unis we've ever had. Would love to see them back, even if only for a few throwback games.

Sydla

Reaction score
Lets dig deeper into your list of teams. Do we have a Brees, Brady, Oeyton manning, or how about an all time great defense like the ravens had? While those teams might have not had an OJ Simpson type talent, they have very good running backs in the lead spot. Like I said, Id be ok losing zeke if we had a Brady, Brees, Rodgers typr guy behind center..... but we dont, so we better have a zeke type guy running the ball.

But that's the issue. You either pay an elite TB or you pay an elite QB.

In other words, if we need to pay Zeke like a top TB because we need that type of guy, then guess what, that should tell us our QB probably isn't worth being paid like a Brady, Brees or Rodgers.

Sydla

Reaction score
Zeke won't play without a contract. By holdout, or hamstring.

He has a contract. He's being paid $3.8MM this year and then over $9MM in 2020 on his 5th year option.

He has some balls holding out given how the organization has backed him in the past for his off the field stupidity.

Oh and if he holds out, I don't think he accrues a season meaning he's no closer to FA anyway.

CPanther95

Reaction score
He has a contract. He's being paid $3.8MM this year and then over $9MM in 2020 on his 5th year option.

He has some balls holding out given how the organization has backed him in the past for his off the field stupidity.

Oh and if he holds out, I don't think he accrues a season meaning he's no closer to FA anyway.

Hamstring will accrue a season.

J-man

Reaction score
As far as making the pay fair for good young players on rookie deals, I have an idea that I've stated many times in the past. The way that NFL owners can fully protect themselves/teams and the players can maximize their earnings is to have "pay for play" contracts.

It would be very complicated yes but the jest of it is this:
That every position would have a flat rate salary that would be injury guaranteed, paid over the entire season including camp. And than performance level increases/bonuses to be paid after the season or if they want, after every game.
*These numbers are may not be accurate, smarter people than me (or at least people with more free time) would have to work out all the details but for this presentation, indulge me.

QB base of $10 mil/yr + X amount of $/TDs $/Wins $/Completions $/Yards $/Intangibles/Leadership $/yrs of service
RB base of $3mil/yr + X amount of $/Yards $/TDs $/Wins $/Receptions $/Intangibles/Leadership $/yrs of service
WR base of $5mil/yr + X amount of $/Receptions $/Yards $/TDs $/Wins $/Intangibles/Leadership $/yrs of service
TE base of $3mil/yr + X amount of $/Receptions $/Yards $/TDs $/Wins $/Blocking proficiency $/Intangibles/Leadership $/yrs of service
etc. etc. etc. for every position on the team.

Let them earn the big $ and it will benefit everyone involved. Themselves, the owners and the fans.
You think players go all out in contract years? HA! Imagine if you will how hard the players would play if they knew they're getting paid based on their efforts and results after every season or individual game.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
NFL contracts are mostly Not guaranteed. But the signing Bonus is where the cash is.

Zeke isn't making enough money.

He's ranked 10th in RB salaries.

Its simple. He's going to sit if Jerry waits.

One time there was a starting star RB that sat out the entire season and after he retired he said he never recouped the money he lost and if he could do it over again he wouldn't have done it, John Riggins. There was a short time before the cap when the big stars had guaranteed contracts which started with Jones but that stopped. Now with all of the huge signing bonuses and other guaranteed bonus that are all stretched out over the life of the contract for cap purposes, today's contracts are the same as completely guaranteed contracts because teams can't afford to release players and have to eat all that bonus money as dead money. There has been a couple of former GM's that have said that as good of a RB back as Elliott is, there are going to be GM's that will be leery of signing him if he becomes a free agent in 2021 ( the Cowboys could exercise the 5th year option after this season) because Elliott has a history of getting into trouble and just barely escaped getting suspended again this season. The next time could be a 10 game suspension since he already has had a 6 game suspension. To pay he huge money and to count on him as their starting RB only to get the message from the league office that he's getting a 10 game suspension will make some of these GM's think about offering huge bucks for him. I'm sure the Cowboys will bring that up in their negotiations.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
$7.8 b/c of his signing bonus, but yea, he's underpaid by almost half.

Well any rookie is.
I wouldnt cry over that money tough.

Keep it real. This guy didnt play a full season for us until now. And is a step away from being suspened for a whole season.

Let him hold out. Lets see what happens.

He aint no emitt. But seems to act like.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
No, I'm not. Your point is that rookie caps make sense because they protect owners from giving out bad rookie contracts. From a player like Zeke's perspective, that means being grossly underpaid for 5 years. Has nothing to do with revenue split.

Again, the players decided on the Rookie Cap stuff. They didn't want Rookies making the majority of the money while Vets got paid peanuts. This is not an owner driven thing. They pay whatever the amount is that needs to be spent. This is about the players.