News: PFT: Ezekiel Elliott has privately said that he's planning a training-camp holdout

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Don’t get me wrong. I want to keep Zeke and I want him to be paid well, but not this season. He’s got two years left on his contract. An extension shouldn’t be looked at until there’s one season left on the current contract. If you start giving out new contracts this early, other players are going to want to do the same thing and that’s not sustainable.

Batman1980

Reaction score
Fake news!

Unlike Melvin Gordon, Elliott has been publicly silent on his contract situation. Gordon, of course, is headed into an actual contract year. Elliott still has two seasons remaining on his rookie deal. He has also been dealing with the fallout from another off-the-field issue, his May altercation with a security guard in Las Vegas. If Elliott is serious, it would be an intelligent gambit in an increasingly-unforgiving running back market.

Source - Rotoworld.com

Tussinman

Reaction score
Ranked 10th in RB salaries.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/average/running-back/

The best RB in the NFL needs paid.
Just pay Zeke.

He's due the money.
Your literally anaylyzing the wrong numbers. Agents only care about guranteed money (Zeke's salary is low this year because he had a prorated cash singing bonus of freaking 16 million dollars before even playing a single NFL down).

Zeke is #1 in the entire NFL at his position for fully guranteed money and #3 for total guranteed.

Cowboys don't resign him and the result will be him already making elite top 5 money while being a 25 year old free agent....... (WOW poor baby)

Where is this fake narrative coming from that he's getting gipped and not paid ? I swear this is the most fake/exagerrated narrative since Tyron Smith last season (he goes from first team all-pro to pro bowler and people act like he's made of glass and is a back-up)

Last edited:

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I explained it, because I said in my post. Stephen Jones has basically said multiple times what there philosophy is that they aren’t going to target big-named free agents, because they feel the price is way too high and they will try and EXTEND their players early so they don’t even get to the market.

Dallas is playing cheap.

They also are trying to sell it that you can only win when the cast around you is good. Even Dak is basically saying he’s not taking a discount and he doesn’t buy the excuse that Dallas can’t afford to pay top dollars, especially now with the NFL and gambling joining hands.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...ling-to-give-the-cowboys-a-hometown-discount/

With Amari they gave up draft picks knowing full well he was going to hit the market soon and demand plenty of money. They did this despite saying that Dak didn’t need a number 1 WR and they said it all off-season long and this was part of them selling the offense as Dak-friendly, because he would try and force the ball to that WR. Dez was basically a scape goat as well, because the whole off season they were selling Dak’s incompetence as the fault of Dez demanding the ball. Then Dak looked like trash and even his WRs were saying they were open but not getting looks.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...ak-prescott-says-he-doesnt-really-need-a-1-wr

did demarcus Lawrence just get a pretty decent payday? You cant say a team is cheap because they dont want to pay big dollars to other teams free agents. Saying they want to extend their own players doesnt mean they are cheap... just means they prefer to keep their own. Because they thought the WRs they had going into the start of last season, was good enough for them to win, has nothing to do with them being cheap. Halfway through the season they were convinced they needed to do something at the WR position.... they did, and they also know that that player is gonna be due a big deal shortly shows you they are cheap? strange

aaev84

Reaction score
this is not true, if Dallas had no dak and had to play white or rush, with elliot, no way they win 10 games.
Take away zeke, but have Dak at qb, and they could still win 10 games.
qb > rb always.
What was Dak's record when Zeke was suspended? How did the offense do? 10 games is speculation imo. There has yet to be a dakless period so cannot objectively really say how far a drop would be.

aaev84

Reaction score
1st and 2nd round Running Backs deserve bigger rookie contracts. Most of their value is the first five years unlike a QB and they have a short shelf life thereafter. They should be negotiating during the CBA talks, actually I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet. Think about it Lineman, DB's & QB's can play 15 years, RB's play 6-7 if they're lucky. Wr's are getting 15-20 million on second contracts, nobody wants to give a RB a second contract. It's not a fair playing field.

It's a relative crap deal. RBs get the most busted up and are on the lower end pay wise. In addition, Really crazy how some people think Zeke's presence is replaceable. Guy deserves to be paid. Hes a warrior on the field.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
He's on a top 5 rookie contract that has made him among the highest paid running backs in the league since day 1. What in the world....

But he is NOT among the highest paid RBs in 2019.

His base is 3.8 million this season.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
What was Dak's record when Zeke was suspended? How did the offense do? 10 games is speculation imo. There has yet to be a dakless period so cannot objectively really say how far a drop would be.
yes I am speculating, for if dak was not playing, but all you have to look at is when romo was out in 2015, I think cowboys won 1 game with bkups.
The thing is elliot is good, but he can be shut down when the qb cant pass effectively. We have seen that with dak playing.
So with bkup qb or someone they would get to fill in for Dak would more than likely not be as effective, and even with elliot they would not be able to
win many games.
Another RB however even though not as good as elliot, could fill in for him and be good enough to win games with Dak.

minnesota is a good example, AP had a great season, got the big contract, and the next few years could not make the playoffs, or got beat
in WC round. They did not have a decent qb, but had the great and highly paid RB.
Without a decent QB the RB position is not enough no matter who it is.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Really?

We will lose without him.
Why? We have a winning record without him and before the trolls reply I'm not saying we are a better team without him but this myth that we can't win without him is just that, a myth.

By the way don't include just a 6 game stretch...... Even though we were 3-3 in those games, add all the games.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Wasn't Emmitt coming off a super bowl win as well?
I could be wrong, but I think it was the 92 season, so that was the year they won the first SB. They were 12-4 and 2 of the losses
were the first 2 games.
I dont know if it was due to no Emmitt that they lost those games, I would like to see those games.
They might have lost even if they had Emmitt.
Back then players didnt make a lot of millions like they do now, in one of the 92 games they talked about a CB
on another team, being the 1st CB to make 1 million a year !!! lol and he was evidently the top CB at the time and 1 mil a year was
a big deal!
I dont even know what Emmitts contract was for back then , but it wasnt much compared to todays salaries.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
He should honor his current contract being that the staff didn't throw in the towel for multiple incidents off the field. I wouldn't have even guessed he would consider holding out.
If this is an accurate article, I more than ever make him finish the 2 remaining years and see if he can stay out of trouble. Maybe see if there are trade options.
Elliott should be cautious. If he gets traded, it very well may be to a team that doesn't have a decent offense or O line. If he's worried about wear and tear, it would be worse.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I don't buy this story. I'll wait to see Zeke actually miss camp (which I don't think he will) before I weigh in any further. I think that this is the media just trying to drum up drama.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
But he is NOT among the highest paid RBs in 2019.

His base is 3.8 million this season.
you have to add 4 mil from the signing bonus to that, so it is 7.8 this year, and 9 mil next year no bonus just salary.
Dak is 727,000 for this year I think. now that is bad.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
ToddG and Bell make more than Zeke.

Zeke is #10 on the list.

His money isn't right.

I'd sit too if I was in his place.
I would fully support yer' "sitting" positioned stance, of you displaying the same manchild disgruntlement of yer' horrid plight to poverty's toll road of inconsequentialness,,, were you him as well cuz',outta'sight=outta' mind,,,:thumbup:

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Why? We have a winning record without him and before the trolls reply I'm not saying we are a better team without him but this myth that we can't win without him is just that, a myth.

By the way don't include just a 6 game stretch...... Even though we were 3-3 in those games, add all the games.
Also reverse it , and we lose games with him playing too ! And in some games he doesnt do well at all.
In the wash loss last year AP the old man out played him and had way more yds in that game than elliot.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
This could be playing out perfect! Now were gonna get to see how much Dak is really worth without his elite RB. Zeke is worth 17 mil a year for 5 years and that's peanuts just pay him. They get plenty of room in the salary cap.

As I said, I don't buy this story. However, I'll play along with it just for grins. Let's assume Zeke does hold out. I get the sense that may be not a great move by him because of Troy Pollard.

If anyone forgot Bell holding out last year seemed to be a good move by him. The only reason people knew of Connor was because (Thank God) he survived cancer, and he wasn't much in the conversation. Then, as the season unfolded, it turned out that Connor is a very good back in his own right. I could see that sort of scenario play out here with Zeke. He needs to be very careful that one of the rookies doesn't pull a James Connor on him.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Well E has to have seen the article by now, so lets see if he comments on it ?

He might, or I suppose all that he has to do is show up to camp, and that'll destroy the story. And I think he knows full well that the FO has bent over backwards to help him with his off the field stupidity.