PFT-Florio: On officiating concerns, Jerry Jones misses the point (perhaps deliberately)

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yup, exactly what I'm talking about. Calls are being made to keep games close because blowouts equal scads of people tuning out. The advertisers are not going to be happy paying huge money if no one is watching.

This is really very simple, but to understand one has to let go of the extreme need for the NFL to not be a bit crooked. It is and always has been. Anything that is driven by money is going to have some not so nice facets to it. Nature of the beast.
The parity of the game has always been the benchmark for the success for all teams in the NFL with equal TV revenue.

And while the NFL is no doubt a beast in the business like most billion dollar entities the Integrity of the games themselves is paramount which they continue to pledge is the utmost priority.

If it was ever seriously suspected leading to being investigated then their Antitrust status would be threatened which allows the league to operate as a Non- Profit entity maintaining their exclusive monopoly type Network contract stronghold. Which stands at the core of their existence.

I don’t believe they need all the games to be competitive . Most of them are by the nature that the Parity creates.

On any given Sunday most games are coming down to the last possession or at least last few minutes. Unlike all of the blowouts we see on Saturday in College Football.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
It really wasn’t that bad. Although we knew there were many missed calls. Not as many that cost teams games at the end. Great teams overcome everything including missed calls.

Most of all we didn’t have as many ticky tak rules like protecting the QB, leading with helmet , targeting , stricter PI , etc.

And all of these new rules bring in more subjective calls.

The NFL in an attempt to stave off these lawsuits with CTE while protecting their greatest commodity ( the QB) have in effect created these circumstances which are at the core of todays issues.

And they realized that more offense and passing created more fans and viewership.

The league has had to water down the product in order to preserve it. It’s always going to be a balance act. And they’ll continue tweaking it as societal issues of the day and legalities impact and threaten their product.
I agree that the NFL is much more difficult to officiate today than it was decades ago. The rules and interpretations that have been added make refereeing more difficult and its just a matter of statistics. More rules that are more subjective lead to more questionable calls.

In general, great teams win by blowouts. As such, a few missed calls don't really affect outcomes. If you go through history, the best teams have the biggest point differentials. The refs didn't decide Super Bowl 27 (52-17 Cowboys).

In close games . . . yeah it matters. There is a very good chance that the Immaculate Reception wasn't a reception and if it was called right, the Steel Curtain wins 3 super bowls instead of 4. There are probably many other examples. Who knows what happens if Dez's catch was a catch? There is a factor where the stories and narratives are created based on the outcomes using hindsight and the victor is propped up. Teams that win super close games are frequently just lucky.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Never said they are trying to throw games. Influence them however. That is different and I have seen it first hand. For multiple teams.
It’s what you believe to be manipulation. And I’m referring to officiating manipulation.

kskboys

Reaction score
The parity of the game has always been the benchmark for the success for all teams in the NFL with equal TV revenue.

And while the NFL is no doubt a beast in the business like most billion dollar entities the Integrity of the games themselves is paramount which they continue to pledge is the utmost priority.

If it was ever seriously suspected leading to being investigated then their Antitrust status would be threatened which allows the league to operate as a Non- Profit entity maintaining their exclusive monopoly type Network contract stronghold. Which stands at the core of their existence.

I don’t believe they need all the games to be competitive . Most of them are by the nature that the Parity creates.

On any given Sunday most games are coming down to the last possession or at least last few minutes. Unlike all of the blowouts we see on Saturday in College Football.
Yup. That is the plan. Close games = more people watching = more ad revenue. It's not complicated.

NFL tossed aside their integrity a long time ago.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I agree that the NFL is much more difficult to officiate today than it was decades ago. The rules and interpretations that have been added make refereeing more difficult and its just a matter of statistics. More rules that are more subjective lead to more questionable calls.

In general, great teams win by blowouts. As such, a few missed calls don't really affect outcomes. If you go through history, the best teams have the biggest point differentials. The refs didn't decide Super Bowl 27 (52-17 Cowboys).

In close games . . . yeah it matters. There is a very good chance that the Immaculate Reception wasn't a reception and if it was called right, the Steel Curtain wins 3 super bowls instead of 4. There are probably many other examples. Who knows what happens if Dez's catch was a catch? There is a factor where the stories and narratives are created based on the outcomes using hindsight and the victor is propped up. Teams that win super close games are frequently just lucky.
Sure, close games everything matters. There is usually a handful or less of plays which turn the tide. Including penalties.

It’s always been part of the game. Fans just are struggling with it. They can handle their team making a bad play which cost them but can’t handle an official making a bad call.

My suggestion is don’t place yourself in position where a bad call can turn the game.

kskboys

Reaction score
Sure, close games everything matters. There is usually a handful or less of plays which turn the tide. Including penalties.

It’s always been part of the game. Fans just are struggling with it. They can handle their team making a bad play which cost them but can’t handle an official making a bad call.

My suggestion is don’t place yourself in position where a bad call can turn the game.
Of course. However, you're taking the easy way out because you don't want to believe it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yup. That is the plan. Close games = more people watching = more ad revenue. It's not complicated.

NFL tossed aside their integrity a long time ago.
My point is they continue standing on that platform that the games themselves remain under this Integrity while everything surrounding may not be.

Their intent on this platform risk their existence if it’s ever disclosed otherwise. I have to believe if there is collusion of manipulation in officiating at some point there will be a whistleblower.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Of course. However, you're taking the easy way out because you don't want to believe it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If I did believe I’d no longer have anymore interest in football than wrestling.

I still maintain it’s more sour grapes by fans not willing to accept the results as officiating is part of the game.

A bad call can cost you as much as a bad play.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
if they get caught there is bigger issues than just gamblers suing them, there will be criminal charges. if they get caught assumes, they are already doing something. don't buy into the conspiracy theories of games being fixed. too much at stake, too much money being made for anyoen to risk it and there is no point to risking or fixing the games. the league already makes billions. they are not stupid. officiating sucks. because official suck. just like a player, those without skills suck. bad teams have bad players, they suck.

I am done too. enjoy conspiracy theories.
Well said!!!

Why would the NFL risk a multi billion entity with games that are already close and competitive on the most part ? The fallout just doesn’t add up .

Individually I could see some bad apples and why the league oversees everyone involved in the NFL gambling history.

That’s always been my greatest concern is a corrupt official, player or coach. But a league wide corruption which could threaten its existence. Just sour grapes from fans who can’t handle a bad call costing them a game.

Build better teams where a bad call won’t cost you a game .

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Just imagine in our society when everything is so transparent . This would be the biggest coverup and coup in our nations history.

Look at all the people who’d have to be involved with the corruption. Not one single whistleblower, disgruntled employee, etc for how many decades ?

Fans emotions are so distraught by these poor calls potentially costing them a game they aren’t thinking this entire process thru.

What’s more likely if there is corruption would be an individual official operating on his own .

But officials are evaluated weekly and how much impact could one have ? He wouldn't be able to determine what teams or games he calls and or what group of officials he works with every game.

And would this official simply risk his career and criminal charges over a personal vendetta for that particular team or gambling? Gambling is the biggest concern IMO.

I suppose this is the type of mentality some of our fans have that everyone is crooked . It’s them against the world. Everyone is out to get them.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
getting sued? really? where did that come from. officiating not being perfect is part of what NFL admits to. how the heck are they going to prove anything in court!?

that statement you just made is absurd.

the fact is, the NFL has to manage its fanbase and gamblers are at the bottom. believe it or not, die hard fans are also not at the top since those fans, like myself watch no matter what. the goal for NFL is to expand its fanbase for growth. they changed the rules over the years to create more offense, more scoring and attract more fans. they pushed for gambling perhaps, to create more interest and more eyes on TV.

give it up.
Yep

Fans need to accept that a bad call can cost their team or wager the same as a bad play.

Officiating is part of the game. Just like a poor or great play. That’s always been part of the reality.

Allowing the game to come down to last possession or last play it places you in a position where one play or call can decide the game.

erod

Reaction score
The officiating has gotten worse, but the crews are much more diverse, which is the only important thing.

doomsday9084

Reaction score

Man, you are preaching to the choir here. There seem to be coaches out there who intentionally try to keep the score close. IMO, that's nuts. Coaches should treat the game like the opponent starts with a 10 point lead.

All of Garrett's 8-8 seasons weren't complete accidents. He tried to turn the game into a coin flip and his record frequently looked like the results of 16 coin flips.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
It’s what you believe to be manipulation. And I’m referring to officiating manipulation.
It's confirmation bias that only considers something that could fit the bias and discards the much more evidence to the contrary. Just last night, people swore up and down the refs would bail out the Steelers as the ref darlings of the league. They didn't, therefore that example doesn't count. But if it happens 1 game out of 17 then surely you see how the refs help the Steelers. Happens all the time using the ol' "I have seen ..." method of investigation. Even Scooby's gang had more concrete evidence. Lol.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Yep

Fans need to accept that a bad call can cost their team or wager the same as a bad play.

Officiating is part of the game. Just like a poor or great play. That’s always been part of the reality.

Allowing the game to come down to last possession or last play it places you in a position where one play or call can decide the game.
plus, how are they going to prove that it was intentional....a lot of these calls are controversial to begin with and yeah, they miss calls all the time. there are 22 players, a 120x55 field, atheltes running at olympic speed and 7 referees. unless they add another 10 referees and instant review every play, it ain't going to change much

kskboys

Reaction score
If I did believe I’d no longer have anymore interest in football than wrestling.

I still maintain it’s more sour grapes by fans not willing to accept the results as officiating is part of the game.

A bad call can cost you as much as a bad play.
Not me.

My take is that the evidence thereof is becoming insurmountable. It's just too much.

kskboys

Reaction score
Just imagine in our society when everything is so transparent . This would be the biggest coverup and coup in our nations history.

Look at all the people who’d have to be involved with the corruption. Not one single whistleblower, disgruntled employee, etc for how many decades ?

Fans emotions are so distraught by these poor calls potentially costing them a game they aren’t thinking this entire process thru.

What’s more likely if there is corruption would be an individual official operating on his own .

But officials are evaluated weekly and how much impact could one have ? He wouldn't be able to determine what teams or games he calls and or what group of officials he works with every game.

And would this official simply risk his career and criminal charges over a personal vendetta for that particular team or gambling? Gambling is the biggest concern IMO.

I suppose this is the type of mentality some of our fans have that everyone is crooked . It’s them against the world. Everyone is out to get them.
Then explain the NO debacle. The ref was staring at the receiver, the ball was in the air, and the defender crash test dummied the receiver w/o remotely turning his head. And there are other officials that can call that. It makes no sense.

Cowboys1966

Reaction score
I think the betting world may force he hand of the NFL to employ full time refs. Even if the product stays the same, it shows the bettors that they are trying to rectify the problem.
Full time refs won’t fix it. You need a challenge system so the key calls can be reviewed. Even then it’s tough…there is at least one penalty on every play.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Then explain the NO debacle. The ref was staring at the receiver, the ball was in the air, and the defender crash test dummied the receiver w/o remotely turning his head. And there are other officials that can call that. It makes no sense.
Doesn’t mean there was a colluded effort to not make the call .

What’s obvious to one might not be to another especially in certain situations.

Inconsistency in officials has been a long standing issue.