PFT-Florio: On officiating concerns, Jerry Jones misses the point (perhaps deliberately)

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Yes, not because they make money directly.

Again, because it generates interest.

And secondly a group.thst will.gamble regardless. Gamblers absolutely don't care about quality of play.

NFL is focused on TV, stadiums, merchandise. More gamblers. More TV money. Cha ching.

NFL absolutely doesn't care about their opinions oneway or other.
No, but they care about getting sued by people who lose money because they rigged games. Also, if they get caught, they may be subject to fines and punishment by the government, including possibly losing their antitrust exemption.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
From what I understand, the NFL is allowed to fix games if they wanted to. I don't know if they're required to tell you one way or the other.
I’m not sure I’d describe it as “fixing” games which would definitely going against the Integrity of the games they insist is upheld.

Flamma

Reaction score
I’m not sure I’d describe it as “fixing” games which would definitely going against the Integrity of the games they insist is upheld.
I used the extreme example. I just don't think the NFL is liable just because bad callas are made. Purposely or not. I definitely don't think they are liable just because they have the technology to improve, but don't. The NFL could end replay review if they wanted to.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I used the extreme example. I just don't think the NFL is liable just because bad callas are made. Purposely or not. I definitely don't think they are liable just because they have the technology to improve, but don't. The NFL could end replay review if they wanted to.
I agree . They are not liable for poor officiating.

I think fans of this era are missing the bigger point. Poor and questionable officiating is part of the human element of the game.

While the league strives for getting it right most of the time and why they’ve added over the years using Instant Replay to correct most of these blatant missed calls it’s not intended to be perfection. Anymore than the action on the field by the players is perfection.

The NFL much like MLB and NBA all have subjective officiating . Again it’s part of the human element. This generation of fans have grown up with Madden, Fantasy and all of the technology and see the game officiating or calls could be more technology driven.

Perhaps as time goes on in generations to come the games will become more technology driven. Who knows maybe every play will be reviewed for infractions . I’m not sure there’s an appetite for slowing the game down at this time.

Maybe if they slowed the game reviewing every play they could shorten the quarters to 10 minutes each for example so tv broadcasts don’t run 4-5 hours which would be difficult to get 3 games in an afternoon in for prime time viewership.

Remember everything is driven to cater to the Networks and viewership. Must keep the product entertaining while managing the time fans need to dedicate their time. There’s a fine balance between seeking this perfection and entertaining. Which I don’t believe extended games basically stopping after each play would deliver the viewership interest we have today.

There’s already too much slow down and interruption in the flow of the game reviewing every reception and TD. We’ll see what the appetite is for future generations .

Flamma

Reaction score
I agree . They are not liable for poor officiating.

I think fans of this era are missing the bigger point. Poor and questionable officiating is part of the human element of the game.

While the league strives for getting it right most of the time and why they’ve added over the years using Instant Replay to correct most of these blatant missed calls it’s not intended to be perfection. Anymore than the action on the field by the players is perfection.

The NFL much like MLB and NBA all have subjective officiating . Again it’s part of the human element. This generation of fans have grown up with Madden, Fantasy and all of the technology and see the game officiating or calls could be more technology driven.

Perhaps as time goes on in generations to come the games will become more technology driven. Who knows maybe every play will be reviewed for infractions . I’m not sure there’s an appetite for slowing the game down at this time.

Maybe if they slowed the game reviewing every play they could shorten the quarters to 10 minutes each for example so tv broadcasts don’t run 4-5 hours which would be difficult to get 3 games in an afternoon in for prime time viewership.

Remember everything is driven to cater to the Networks and viewership. Must keep the product entertaining while managing the time fans need to dedicate their time. There’s a fine balance between seeking this perfection and entertaining. Which I don’t believe extended games basically stopping after each play would deliver the viewership interest we have today.

There’s already too much slow down and interruption in the flow of the game reviewing every reception and TD. We’ll see what the appetite is for future generations .
How did we ever survive without replay?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
How did we ever survive without replay?
It really wasn’t that bad. Although we knew there were many missed calls. Not as many that cost teams games at the end. Great teams overcome everything including missed calls.

Most of all we didn’t have as many ticky tak rules like protecting the QB, leading with helmet , targeting , stricter PI , etc.

And all of these new rules bring in more subjective calls.

The NFL in an attempt to stave off these lawsuits with CTE while protecting their greatest commodity ( the QB) have in effect created these circumstances which are at the core of todays issues.

And they realized that more offense and passing created more fans and viewership.

The league has had to water down the product in order to preserve it. It’s always going to be a balance act. And they’ll continue tweaking it as societal issues of the day and legalities impact and threaten their product.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Translation ;

Dont bet in NFL games
Do it as entertainment . Friendly wagering within your budget is fine .

Even the most professional and proven handicappers can only pick about 60% over time . In order to win big at that percentage to keep from the Juice sucking up your winnings ( 10% commission whether you win or lose) you have to wager more than most can afford .

Football and the NFL in particular is the biggest money maker for Sports Books not only because of the volume but fans lose their butts cause they aren’t good handicappers usually betting on their own teams letting their emotions get the better of them.

Most professional betters make their money wagering on the NBA and MLB where home court and pitching drives the percentages on winners.

Next best percentages are with College hoops and football especially on the smaller schools as bookmakers usually don’t have as much info to make better lines and less action doesn’t move lines.

But the bulk of these amateur betters aren’t in it for making a living at it. They are tempted by what they want to watch , their fav teams and big marquee matchups. And they keep these Sports Books open 24-7.

It’s going to be years before the effects are felt . But most of the amateur gamblers are losing money . And possibly bankrupting themselves . It’s very addictive and destructive.

The only thing that’s better with legalized gambling is while they are potentially bankrupting or at least causing financial hardships at least they don’t have a Bookie or someone from the Mob coming out to break their legs or worse.

jmnichols75

Reaction score

Jerry: “We know there’s judgment,” Jones said. “And we know it can be wrong. And, really, is wrong a lot. The idea of getting it ‘right,’ quote, with all that’s at stake. It can be right, if you all agree that we’re gonna go on that guy’s judgment. Now he may be half blind, but we’ve decided that we’re gonna go on his judgment. We both agreed to it coming in. And we assume that his integrity is OK and good, so it’s just a question of did he miss it or not. I think we’ve always lived with that.”

Florio: "It’s one thing for the two teams involved to live with that. It’s quite another for the people who are wagering their money legally on gambling to live with it. They haven’t agreed to accept mistakes that are avoidable, even if the teams in a given game have."
People who gamble agree to accept the judgment of officials every bit as much as the teams do. Like Jerry said, as long as their isn't an integrity problem, there isn't much for gamblers to complain about.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
The fact that we use the chain gang in 2023 is mind blowing. We have Amazon showing you who is going to blitz in real time, but can’t spot the ball. It’s laughable.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
No, but they care about getting sued by people who lose money because they rigged games. Also, if they get caught, they may be subject to fines and punishment by the government, including possibly losing their antitrust exemption.
getting sued? really? where did that come from. officiating not being perfect is part of what NFL admits to. how the heck are they going to prove anything in court!?

that statement you just made is absurd.

the fact is, the NFL has to manage its fanbase and gamblers are at the bottom. believe it or not, die hard fans are also not at the top since those fans, like myself watch no matter what. the goal for NFL is to expand its fanbase for growth. they changed the rules over the years to create more offense, more scoring and attract more fans. they pushed for gambling perhaps, to create more interest and more eyes on TV.

give it up.

Flamma

Reaction score
It really wasn’t that bad. Although we knew there were many missed calls. Not as many that cost teams games at the end. Great teams overcome everything including missed calls.

Most of all we didn’t have as many ticky tak rules like protecting the QB, leading with helmet , targeting , stricter PI , etc.

And all of these new rules bring in more subjective calls.

The NFL in an attempt to stave off these lawsuits with CTE while protecting their greatest commodity ( the QB) have in effect created these circumstances which are at the core of todays issues.

And they realized that more offense and passing created more fans and viewership.

The league has had to water down the product in order to preserve it. It’s always going to be a balance act. And they’ll continue tweaking it as societal issues of the day and legalities impact and threaten their product.
Agreed. All of the new rules complicate things.

My comment in the last post was sarcasm.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
getting sued? really? where did that come from. officiating not being perfect is part of what NFL admits to. how the heck are they going to prove anything in court!?

that statement you just made is absurd.

the fact is, the NFL has to manage its fanbase and gamblers are at the bottom. believe it or not, die hard fans are also not at the top since those fans, like myself watch no matter what. the goal for NFL is to expand its fanbase for growth. they changed the rules over the years to create more offense, more scoring and attract more fans. they pushed for gambling perhaps, to create more interest and more eyes on TV.

give it up.
Guess either you missed the part where I said, "If they get caught...", or you just can't stand the thought of being wrong, so you call the post "absurd".

Whatever the case, I'm done with this conversation.

phildadon86

Reaction score
I dont think they can fix games. But influence? Absolutely. I cant count how many games I have seen just this year, that were fixing to be blowouts and then a flurry of penalties happen and presto the other team has the ball.

kskboys

Reaction score
Do it as entertainment . Friendly wagering within your budget is fine .

Even the most professional and proven handicappers can only pick about 60% over time . In order to win big at that percentage to keep from the Juice sucking up your winnings ( 10% commission whether you win or lose) you have to wager more than most can afford .

Football and the NFL in particular is the biggest money maker for Sports Books not only because of the volume but fans lose their butts cause they aren’t good handicappers usually betting on their own teams letting their emotions get the better of them.

Most professional betters make their money wagering on the NBA and MLB where home court and pitching drives the percentages on winners.

Next best percentages are with College hoops and football especially on the smaller schools as bookmakers usually don’t have as much info to make better lines and less action doesn’t move lines.

But the bulk of these amateur betters aren’t in it for making a living at it. They are tempted by what they want to watch , their fav teams and big marquee matchups. And they keep these Sports Books open 24-7.

It’s going to be years before the effects are felt . But most of the amateur gamblers are losing money . And possibly bankrupting themselves . It’s very addictive and destructive.

The only thing that’s better with legalized gambling is while they are potentially bankrupting or at least causing financial hardships at least they don’t have a Bookie or someone from the Mob coming out to break their legs or worse.
I know several people as we speak who are dumping major funds into sports betting. Some more than they can afford.

I agree w/ you, only bet for fun.

kskboys

Reaction score
I dont think they can fix games. But influence? Absolutely. I cant count how many games I have seen just this year, that were fixing to be blowouts and then a flurry of penalties happen and presto the other team has the ball.
Yup, exactly what I'm talking about. Calls are being made to keep games close because blowouts equal scads of people tuning out. The advertisers are not going to be happy paying huge money if no one is watching.

This is really very simple, but to understand one has to let go of the extreme need for the NFL to not be a bit crooked. It is and always has been. Anything that is driven by money is going to have some not so nice facets to it. Nature of the beast.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Yup, exactly what I'm talking about. Calls are being made to keep games close because blowouts equal scads of people tuning out. The advertisers are not going to be happy paying huge money if no one is watching.

This is really very simple, but to understand one has to let go of the extreme need for the NFL to not be a bit crooked. It is and always has been. Anything that is driven by money is going to have some not so nice facets to it. Nature of the beast.
Anything that is a cash cow like the NFL is corrupt in some way. You dont get to be that big without being a little corrupt. Its the nature of business.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Anything that is a cash cow like the NFL is corrupt in some way. You dont get to be that big without being a little corrupt. Its the nature of business.
Corruption , ruthless or bullish in business dealings is one thing. But attempting to throw games is quite another.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Corruption , ruthless or bullish in business dealings is one thing. But attempting to throw games is quite another.
Never said they are trying to throw games. Influence them however. That is different and I have seen it first hand. For multiple teams.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Guess either you missed the part where I said, "If they get caught...", or you just can't stand the thought of being wrong, so you call the post "absurd".

Whatever the case, I'm done with this conversation.
if they get caught there is bigger issues than just gamblers suing them, there will be criminal charges. if they get caught assumes, they are already doing something. don't buy into the conspiracy theories of games being fixed. too much at stake, too much money being made for anyoen to risk it and there is no point to risking or fixing the games. the league already makes billions. they are not stupid. officiating sucks. because official suck. just like a player, those without skills suck. bad teams have bad players, they suck.

I am done too. enjoy conspiracy theories.