PFT implies Watson punishment should be no more than Jerry, Kraft or Sydner

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
They set up the 1st year of this contract to protect 45 of his 46M salary with only 1M at risk. That was done specially because of the pending ruling on his disciplinary action. They intentionally set up a circumvention of the discipline.

+1 .....don't think for a second the league isn't paying attention. It's as if his agent and Browns dared the league.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score

Reid1boys

Reaction score
+1 .....don't think for a second the league isn't paying attention. It's as if his agent and Browns dared the league.
sure they did, they didnt even try to disguise it, but unless there is something in league bylaws that cover what they did, Im not sure what they can do about it. That will likely change in the next year... something will be added to the bylaws that gives the commissioner broad powers to approve new contracts written in this manner for a player that has possible punishment pending.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
No way in hell is the arbitrator going to give him an indefinite suspension. I cant even imagine why an indefinite suspension would ever be allowed in the CBA. Could you imagine a bank robber being sentenced to an indefinite prison term. Hey, get back to us every year and well let you know if we think you should get out of prison..... seems pretty unamerican, no?
And why we can’t compare this to legal action.

We must always remember playing professional sports is a privilege. And you can violate personal conduct guidelines which can cost those privileges.

Last edited:

Reid1boys

Reaction score

Those articles help make my point, not yours. The first one with Watson refusing to play for the Texans was to demand a trade, BEFORE all of those allegations came out. His refuasl to play was typical banter from a player trying to force a team to make a trade. There is a big difference between refusing to play in February and on an NFL Sunday gameday.

The 2nd article is nothing more than repeating exactly what Ive been saying, The Texans didnt play him on THEIR decision. It didnt say they wanted to play him and Watson refused. It said they would just make him inactive for the entire season..... why? It is clear why, because they didnt want the trouble that would follow.

Reid1boys

Reaction score

We must always remember playing professional sports is a privilege. And you can violate personal conduct guidelines which can cost those privileges.

I always laugh at that word, "Privilege." Sports are a job, not a privilege. Is working at 7-eleven a privilege? no, why not? Is working for the pool company a privilege? no? ahh.... it is only because of the money involved that we say that.
Its only a privilege if you have the skills. It would be a privilege for someone like me that isnt qualified to play in the nfl... not players that are top 10 in the world at something. But, i know using that phrase is good to use when looking for ways to punish guys.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I always laugh at that word, "Privilege." Sports are a job, not a privilege. Is working at 7-eleven a privilege? no, why not? Is working for the pool company a privilege? no? ahh.... it is only because of the money involved that we say that.
Its only a privilege if you have the skills. It would be a privilege for someone like me that isnt qualified to play in the nfl... not players that are top 10 in the world at something. But, i know using that phrase is good to use when looking for ways to punish guys.
It’s a reminder there a price to pay if you don’t conform to the rules at hand . Some of these athletes think because of their talent they are above it all.

Privilege for hire can be applied in all professions. If you had 24 sexual harassment lawsuits pending your employer might be hesitant in hiring you and or suspending and possibly even terminating you.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
It’s a reminder there a price to pay if you don’t conform to the rules at hand . Some of these athletes think because of their talent they are above it all.

Privilege for hire can be applied in all professions. If you had 24 sexual harassment lawsuits pending your employer might be hesitant in hiring you and or suspending and possibly even terminating you.

But these athletes are above it all, so are actors and musicians. They get things the rest of us dont. They get tables at restaurants that are " completely booked," they get in to parties we cant, they get comped rooms at hotels, they live a life the rest of us do not live... thus they are above it all, and it is us in society that put them there.

If I was never charged with a crime and sued civilly, its very likely my employer would never even know.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Remember how this one was tossed under the rug? Rooney turned a blind eye big time!

My only argument about the differences is the fact the entire country has changed in the way these things are viewed. Kobe was the same thing, and nothing happened with him either. Times are different, even though it wasnt that long ago.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
But these athletes are above it all, so are actors and musicians. They get things the rest of us dont. They get tables at restaurants that are " completely booked," they get in to parties we cant, they get comped rooms at hotels, they live a life the rest of us do not live... thus they are above it all, and it is us in society that put them there.

If I was never charged with a crime and sued civilly, its very likely my employer would never even know.
And this the type of attitude that is detrimental. I think most are supportive they aren’t above it all in these situations.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
And this the type of attitude that is detrimental. I think most are supportive they aren’t above it all in these situations.

why do you say my "Attitude?" I dont make these rules. I dont determine how celebrities are treated out in town or in court. Im just telling you the REALITY that we live in. You think I somehow impact how the world works> I have no such power. Sure people SAY they arent above it all, but the way they are treated in society says different.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
why do you say my "Attitude?" I dont make these rules. I dont determine how celebrities are treated out in town or in court. Im just telling you the REALITY that we live in. You think I somehow impact how the world works> I have no such power.
But you seem more sympathetic to it. Like you don’t care what they get away with.

Fortunately the NFL has a mechanism to call it out. And will exercise their power.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But you seem more sympathetic to it. Like you don’t care what they get away with.

Fortunately the NFL has a mechanism to call it out. And will exercise their power.
I don't see that, he is making a statement that few will refute, just a matter of fact.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I don't see that, he is making a statement that few will refute, just a matter of fact.
Could be but he has argued before he doesn’t care what these players do off the field as long as they perform on the field.

It’s a position I’ve see before that as long as these players aren’t in jail they want to see them play.

But as Reid even claims these players all too often are above the law and get away with conduct most of us wouldn’t . And why most I think are glad to see a body like the NFL take action.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score

Exactly, the NFL is just like your employer. He has rules and guidelines you have to adhere to to keep your job...and they i am sure signed their contract which includes such wording. You break the rules, and the NFL can discipline you as they see fit. They meaning Roger, the enforcer and the executioner. Criminal liability is a separate issue for the legal courts to decide.

Motorola

Reaction score
Even if you discount half the claims as money grabs, that's still way more than any other situation I am aware of. If other folks got suspended \ punished, Watson needs to be punished more.

As for the owners, that's a tricky wicket. The idea of equal justice is great but it's not all apples to apples of what was committed and even if it were the system is set up so that people at the top of the food chain aren't going to get the punishment. Just the way it is.
Exhibit A: Daniel Snyder

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It would be interesting for research to be conducted into how much fans really care about this sort of thing. I don't think they give a flip about this or drugs or PED's or anything that is not considered criminal activity.

All of these athletes are there for our entertainment and they are paid extremely well but that is the direct result of the popularity of the sport and how much the fans and sponsors are willing to underwrite it.

We are way past thinking these athletes should be role models for kids and if they stay out of jail, let them stay on the field. We are also past the "playing pro sports is a privilege" thinking.

FVSTONE

Reaction score
I'm guessing you haven't done much in your life.
Ha-haaaaa, Done a ton of things, BUT the one thing I have never done is abuse a woman and anyone who has done that doesn't deserve to a spot on this earth! Watson and Cleveland minions should be bounced out of the NFL ASAP!

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It would be interesting for research to be conducted into how much fans really care about this sort of thing. I don't think they give a flip about this or drugs or PED's or anything that is not considered criminal activity.

All of these athletes are there for our entertainment and they are paid extremely well but that is the direct result of the popularity of the sport and how much the fans and sponsors are willing to underwrite it.

We are way past thinking these athletes should be role models for kids and if they stay out of jail, let them stay on the field. We are also past the "playing pro sports is a privilege" thinking.
Unfortunately for the less moralistic type fan there is money at stake . Not only for the networks and the sponsors but the players and all involved.

Only about 1% of the players even fall into this category that need disciplined. I’d wager to believe that the other 99% aren’t willing to roll the dice to see where all of this would fall over time potentially impacting revenue.

And Im not sure where the pulse of the fans are. Diehards would probably tolerate a more thuggery behavior bordering on criminality but would the women and fringe fans where much of the additional revenue stems from.

Fortunately the league isn’t willing to risk it. Not sure why some of the fans are. You’d hope there would be more integrity within the fanbase.

These aren’t animated cartoon characters. These are real people who live privilidged lives only because of their talents on the field which can effect people like you and I off the field.

Last edited: