PFT implies Watson punishment should be no more than Jerry, Kraft or Sydner

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I really think it’s more about the leagues image with concern about what could still be disclosed in upcoming trials. Too lenient decision and if he’s playing without these trials concluded is a huge risk for the league.

There is no question it is about league image. BUT, if he gets off easy, and then it later is disclosed he did something they werent aware that is so bad they cant look the other way, they will still come after him. I just dont think anything new is going to come out. The CJ system didnt pursue anything, so dont expect some bombshell to come out in these cases that arent settling that isnt already known.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
But public opinion might not accept that which could damage their image which is all this is about anyway.

The league wanted to make sure the discipline they were looking was still in force. They were just looking for a buffer to take some of the heat off Goodell.

would be so great to see NO SUSPENSION. The league could do zip at that point, Id get to see you go nuts and wed get to hear all the keyboard warriors at home losing their minds also. Ahhhh, a guy can dream cant he?

Reid1boys

Reaction score
The NFL wants out of this!!!!!!!!
no doubt.... last thing they want entering the start of a new season is more off the field crap messing things up. It seems like this is the case in the NFL every damn season. I wonder why we rarely see it with MLB or NBA. Or is it just NFL is more high profile? I know Bauer of Dodgers has his stuff going on, but I dont remember much of this in baseball before Bauer.

DFWJC

Reaction score
This is interesting but Jerry was never punished .......was he?

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...-of-deshaun-watson-lasting-at-least-one-year/
Report: NFL seeks indefinite suspension of Deshaun Watson, lasting at least one year
Posted by Mike Florio on June 25, 2022, 6:39 PM EDT

Multiple reports have pegged the commencement of the hearing before Judge Sue L. Robinson for Tuesday, June 28. It’s unclear how long the process will take. An effort by the NFLPA to defend Watson based on the actions, and consequences, of owners like Daniel Snyder, Robert Kraft, and Jerry Jones will necessarily delay the process. Nevertheless, Watson has an absolute right to argue that his punishment should be commensurate with other cases.
Jerry wasn’t sued by massage therapists for borderline rape….let alone 20 of them.
Not the same at all

Diehardblues

Reaction score
no doubt.... last thing they want entering the start of a new season is more off the field crap messing things up. It seems like this is the case in the NFL every damn season. I wonder why we rarely see it with MLB or NBA. Or is it just NFL is more high profile? I know Bauer of Dodgers has his stuff going on, but I dont remember much of this in baseball before Bauer.
Good point .

I think we must remember this is all about the NFL’s image as it relates to the Networks and it’s Sponsors. MLB and NBA is mostly played on Cable affiliates and not in Prime Time TV.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
There is no question it is about league image. BUT, if he gets off easy, and then it later is disclosed he did something they werent aware that is so bad they cant look the other way, they will still come after him. I just dont think anything new is going to come out. The CJ system didnt pursue anything, so dont expect some bombshell to come out in these cases that arent settling that isnt already known.
It’s tough to say. We’ve already discovered just this week with the new Lawsuit against the Texans there was a video on Instagram that the Texans took down . And that the Texans also provided Watson a Houston Hotel, massage tables and a disclosure sign off for some of these women.

Once these last few cases go to trial anything is possible.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
would be so great to see NO SUSPENSION. The league could do zip at that point, Id get to see you go nuts and wed get to hear all the keyboard warriors at home losing their minds also. Ahhhh, a guy can dream cant he?
Which illustrates you really don’t care if Watson violates the Personal Conduct a policy or is libel in these cases .

It’s just about arguing with me . Which again pretty well discredits your position . Such a mature and responsible stance to take from a former acclaimed law student.

Last edited:

kskboys

Reaction score
Rug, sweep.

Plus, it's the nature of a brutally physical game, where the players are paid huge amounts to hulk smash others into oblivion. Almost impossible to leave that aggression completely out of your everyday life.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Rug, sweep.

Plus, it's the nature of a brutally physical game, where the players are paid huge amounts to hulk smash others into oblivion. Almost impossible to leave that aggression completely out of your everyday life.
What’s interesting though is largely these very talented players who all too often are the ones with the risky behavior are the key position stars like QB, RB and WR not the big brash bruisers you speak of.

And it’s because they are provided this stardom and fame protection “they can get away with anything “ because of their popularity at an early age. That’s more where this comes from IMO.

That said I do agree the violence does stem from the brutality and aggression of the sport. From my experiences and exposure to these type of athletes it’s about the invincibility they must develop to where they feel no one can stop them which bleeds over into their public lives . I think most try to use it in a more productive way but there is an element you speak of.

shabazz

Reaction score
Rug, sweep.

……….agree. Must be a lot of ex Chicago Bears that committed the 47,000 violent crimes in the Windy City last year.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
This is interesting but Jerry was never punished .......was he?

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...-of-deshaun-watson-lasting-at-least-one-year/
Report: NFL seeks indefinite suspension of Deshaun Watson, lasting at least one year
Posted by Mike Florio on June 25, 2022, 6:39 PM EDT

Multiple reports have pegged the commencement of the hearing before Judge Sue L. Robinson for Tuesday, June 28. It’s unclear how long the process will take. An effort by the NFLPA to defend Watson based on the actions, and consequences, of owners like Daniel Snyder, Robert Kraft, and Jerry Jones will necessarily delay the process. Nevertheless, Watson has an absolute right to argue that his punishment should be commensurate with other cases.
The NFL goes a lot lighter on the Owners than it does on the players.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
It’s tough to say. We’ve already discovered just this week with the new Lawsuit against the Texans there was a video on Instagram that the Texans took down . And that the Texans also provided Watson a Houston Hotel, massage tables and a disclosure sign off for some of these women.

Once these last few cases go to trial anything is possible.
but none of that info in regards to the Texans shed any new light on Watson's actions. Maybe he was provided a room, and NDA from the team, but nothing really damning on Watson, or should I say MORE damning.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
but none of that info in regards to the Texans shed any new light on Watson's actions. Maybe he was provided a room, and NDA from the team, but nothing really damning on Watson, or should I say MORE damning.
Depends on what’s on the video.

And I’d also argue the fact the Texans were asking for a written disclosure agreements while providing a Houston Hotel might suggest they knew what was going on and trying to cover up by providing him a more private setup than a private business massage parlor . That in Itself is damaging IMO . We shall see.

But I don’t recall a franchise being sued before for being an accomplice or aiding and abetting one of their players in such fashion??

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Which illustrates you really don’t care if Watson violates the Personal Conduct a policy or is libel in these cases .

It’s just about arguing with me . Which again pretty well discredits your position . Such a mature and responsible stance to take from a former acclaimed law student.

You are right... I do not care one bit if Watson violates the personal conduct code. How many times do I have to say it. As long as they arent in prison, I dont care. Im not a moralist, and even though I cant stand Michael Vick and if anybody deserved a lifetime ban it was him, but Id still watch games he was playing in because I can separate the game from the off the field crap these players do. Face it, there are many of these players that are just not good guys.... but again, that doesnt impact my life one bit. I know you see them as people, I dont. These guys are like the marvel characters to me. Could be nameless , faceless guys for all I care. Just like I dont give a damn when the NFL wants to spend 10 minutes showing us when the team is feeding the homeless on the holidays...... uhm, like I care? You think I watch the games because of the teams charity work? I mean its good they do it, but if it was so genuine, they wouldnt do it with all those cameras.

The list of musicians, movie stars and directors that are scum bags is long. Doesnt stop me from watching their movies or listening to their music. Thats a good thing as my list of movies and albums would be short if I was the moral police.

Reid1boys

Reaction score

By the way, talk about mature. You asked me a personal question and I actually answered you. Then you use that honesty to give me a back handed slap? yea, talk to me about mature some more.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The NFL goes a lot lighter on the Owners than it does on the players.
Remember the owners don’t fall under the Players Union agreement for Personal Conduct Policy.

But I’d argue that if one of the owners faced 24 sexual assault and harassment suits they would probably place their ownership in jeopardy.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
By the way, talk about mature. You asked me a personal question and I actually answered you. Then you use that honesty to give me a back handed slap? yea, talk to me about mature some more.
You provided or volunteered that info as a defense to your position. It can be used against you as well. Much like others have used my honesty over the years to discredit me.

Honestly I’ve never heard anyone who attended Law school speak in the manner you have on such matters Reid .

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Remember the owners don’t fall under the Players Union agreement for Personal Conduct Policy.

But I’d argue that if one of the owners faced 24 sexual assault and harassment suits they would probably place their ownership in jeopardy.

Is 24 really any worse than 2? 5? 10?