PFT implies Watson punishment should be no more than Jerry, Kraft or Sydner

Reid1boys

Reaction score
IDK. They did just give him a $1M salary this year. Seems to indicate to me they felt here was a decent chance he’d be suspended. Why else do those shenanigans with his salary?
because it is likely what his camp demanded happen. The Browns happily agreed.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
The league wants an indefinite suspension for 1 reason.... they want to be able to make his fine hurt. As soon as his suspension is anything from 1 year and below, Watson gets to laugh in their face as it wont hurt him at all. The league will get pounded in the media for his fine being so little and so the league wants to avoid all of that by having an "Indefinite suspension," that will allow to get some of that big contract.
This is what happens when a governing body makes rules that are nebulous with little framework.
So lazy for a multi-billion dollar industry.
Not that I expected anything more, or less.

Just swing by the wing and go with the flow.
And things won't get better because of CBA negotiations.

I don't even know what "better" would be.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
This is what happens when a governing body makes rules that are nebulous with little framework.
So lazy for a multi-billion dollar industry.
Not that I expected anything more, or less.

Just swing by the wing and go with the flow.
And things won't get better because of CBA negotiations.

I don't even know what "better" would be.

IMO, both sides just have to accept having an "Independent," arbitrator getting the final decision. Just accept the decision of a retired judge and move on. By having the league still having final say so, they leave themselves open to so much criticism. If they just take the arbitrator's ruling and move on they can just say hey, thats what was collectively bargained for and move on.

Flamma

Reaction score
Yep

And the Unions appeal will be nothing more than a formality.

Watson is going down as he should . The Face of the Browns as their GM and owner claimed . Their GM should be fired . And Browns deserve what they get.

Why should the GM be fired? This is a decision based on ownership. You already know this.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Why should the GM be fired? This is a decision based on ownership. You already know this.
Not at all. It’s the GM responsibility pursuing and assembling talent. If their research on his legal troubles were wrong and he’s unable to play then the GM will be held accountable.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The league wants an indefinite suspension for 1 reason.... they want to be able to make his fine hurt. As soon as his suspension is anything from 1 year and below, Watson gets to laugh in their face as it wont hurt him at all. The league will get pounded in the media for his fine being so little and so the league wants to avoid all of that by having an "Indefinite suspension," that will allow to get some of that big contract.
I really think it’s more about the leagues image with concern about what could still be disclosed in upcoming trials. Too lenient decision and if he’s playing without these trials concluded is a huge risk for the league.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Who is , "The league?" Who is the person that has absolute authority to sign off on the punishment, or say no we are appealing on behalf of the league? My guess is Roger and that is a joke. Imagine being the person that can say we dont accept the punishment and then also being the person that gets to decide punishment..... bahahahhaha. Damn the NFL union is WEAK.

I hope he gets a 6 game suspension just to see diehard blues blow a gasket.
What a reason to provide support. That pretty well discounts whatever your position is on the case. Lol

Flamma

Reaction score
Not at all. It’s the GM responsibility pursuing and assembling talent. If their research on his legal troubles were wrong and he’s unable to play then the GM will be held accountable.

I highly doubt that. The contract and acquiring Watson is 100% on ownership. This is not the typical situation. Any GM with two brain cells to rub together would not want anything to do with this situation without the full approval of ownership.

Bates

Reaction score
because it is likely what his camp demanded happen. The Browns happily agreed.

well, yeah. Watson covering himself because chances were high he’d be suspended for a big part of the year and Cleveland doing whatever it took to land him. Just saying that I think the whole Cleveland org knew a major suspension was likely.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I highly doubt that. The contract and acquiring Watson is 100% on ownership. This is not the typical situation. Any GM with two brain cells to rub together would not want anything to do with this situation without the full approval of ownership.
So, you think the owner went out and not only pursued this deal but also negotiated and did all of the research. Or did he just like the idea his GM presented.

Im not familiar with Browns owner. Does he have a history of running football operations.

Of course a GM would want a talent like Watson. They would only need the owner to sign off on it.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
well, yeah. Watson covering himself because chances were high he’d be suspended for a big part of the year and Cleveland doing whatever it took to land him. Just saying that I think the whole Cleveland org knew a major suspension was likely.
I don’t think they expected a potential indefinite suspension. I’d imagine they were thinking more of a 6ish game suspension.

Flamma

Reaction score
So, you think the owner went out and not only pursued this deal but also negotiated and did all of the research. Or did he just like the idea his GM presented.

Im not familiar with Browns owner. Does he have a history of running football operations.

Of course a GM would want a talent like Watson. They would only need the owner to sign off on it.

Ownership has spoken at length about this. I only posted that short clip. He takes full responsibility. He's not going to fire the GM.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
IMO, both sides just have to accept having an "Independent," arbitrator getting the final decision. Just accept the decision of a retired judge and move on. By having the league still having final say so, they leave themselves open to so much criticism. If they just take the arbitrator's ruling and move on they can just say hey, thats what was collectively bargained for and move on.
But public opinion might not accept that which could damage their image which is all this is about anyway.

The league wanted to make sure the discipline they were looking was still in force. They were just looking for a buffer to take some of the heat off Goodell.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Ownership has spoken at length about this. I only posted that short clip. He takes full responsibility. He's not going to fire the GM.
Of course he takes full responsibility. We’ll see how long this GM last if Watson deal doesn’t work out for Browns.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Lol, yeah: not happening.

kskboys

Reaction score
The NFL wants out of this!!!!!!!!

Reid1boys

Reaction score
What a reason to provide support. That pretty well discounts whatever your position is on the case. Lol
Support? lol, I dont even know the man. Remember, im 100% consistent here. You know my position very well. If they are free from the legal system, Im good with them playing. I dont care at all if he is suspended 1 game, 5 games or the season. Its entertainment for me. You think the league has more input on societal behaviors than the criminal justice system? The CJ System said we have nothing to see here..... sexual harassment? yep, but not a crime. So since it is entertainment for me, it would also be very entertaining for me watching you melt down if Watson gets 6 games or less. Why am I even here? Entertainment.

Reid1boys

Reaction score

Not only that, no GM in the NFL (Besides Jerry) could even do something like this with a player in this situation without the 100% green light from the owner. This is on the owner, not the GM.