News: PFT: Jason Garrett: No drastic changes coming to offense

khiladi

Reaction score
They have no time to do anything new. They don't know how to change it, but they only practice like twice during the week.

This offense is so wrong for Dak. It was the same for Tony, but he was in it so long he perfected all its flaws, and covered up a lot of them scrambling around. Plus Tony first had a stud in TO and Glenn, and then a young stud in Dez. Now all of our WR's suck and Dez is on the decline fast.

If I were Zeke I would hold out in December!

The offense wasn’t even right for TO... they didn’t motion him or use him in quick slants either to give him opportunities for RACs.. TO was also being blamed for the offense stagnating..

StylisticS

Reaction score
That is just depressing. But it makes total sense. If you remember back earlier this season when we were winning one of the teams coaches said something like "scouting the cowboys offense is very easy, it's just hard to stop them". That is what he means by standing by the teams convictions. You don't do anything tricky, you out talent and execute them.

The problem is that it requires everything to work and doesn't cover for any weaknesses. It's why we don't pick, or do bunch formations. We are men who win 1-1 to earn our yards. You can see for yourself how that ebbs and flows with our talent and what happens when someone hits a slump.

This curse called Jason Garrett needs to end.

khiladi

Reaction score
Jerry worried about NFL paying Goodell millions of dollars based on performance, but has no problems extending Garrett with millions for five years while demoting him as playcaller and giving him an ambiguous role per his own words, while spinning it, despite fully knowing these facts, that JG was coach of the year last year as some sort of justification..

Got to love it..

Aven8

Reaction score
The offense wasn’t even right for TO... they didn’t motion him or use him in quick slants either to give him opportunities for RACs.. TO was also being blamed for the offense stagnating..

God, remember when JG was the playcaller? False start after false start, delay of games, unorganized......ugh that's what made me hate JG and I do still to this day!!

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Am I the only person who knew that sprint rollout pass to Beasley was coming on the 2 point conversion? As soon as Beasley went in motion, I could've bet Jerry's fortune on what was coming. This offense is sooooooo predictable.

BobSacamano

Reaction score
I thought JG was an alright hire. Better than the Wade Phillipses and Norv Turnerers. But jeez his track record here has been largely awful. If you take 2/3 players (Romo, Zeke, Lee) off his rosters and I don't think he's even a .500 ball coach.

khiladi

Reaction score
God, remember when JG was the playcaller? False start after false start, delay of games, unorganized......ugh that's what made me hate JG and I do still to this day!!

I remember specifically when TO was being asked why they don’t use him in motion and slant, where he succeeded his whole career, when the offense was struggling.. he basically gave that look and said to ask the coaches..

that got a blip on the radar and most Garrett homers in the media were dead set on pushing a TO anti-Romo locker room agenda and feeding it... I’m surprised nobody brings up the Wade Phillips Dan Reeves saga of how Wade Phillips saw this clowns inability to handle a running hand years ago, but was stifled in doing anything about it and it took years for Jerry to acknowledge Garrett sucked at it..

phildadon86

Reaction score
Jerry worried about NFL paying Goodell millions of dollars based on performance, but has no problems extending Garrett with millions for five years while demoting him as playcaller and giving him an ambiguous role per his own words, while spinning it, despite fully knowing these facts, that JG was coach of the year last year as some sort of justification..

Got to love it..
I knew Garrett winning that gave him years more

khiladi

Reaction score
I knew Garrett winning that gave him years more

Jerry was waiting for that day. It’s hilarious because whenever Jerry forced some type of move from on top, he has to tell the media that ‘Jason Garrett is on board with the decision and part of the whole process’.. he knows the guy has no clue, but he has to sell it to the public..

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Jason Garrett: No drastic changes coming to offense

The Cowboys have scored fewer than 10 points in three consecutive games, a feat never before seen in team history.

But coach Jason Garrett said Friday the Cowboys will not make drastic changes as they seek answers. Among the things that will remain the same: Offensive coordinator Scott Linehan as play-caller.

“Certainly we’re always looking at ourselves and things that we can do better, but our convictions as a coaching staff, or as a football team, really won’t change,” Garrett said, via Drew Davison of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.

“You’re looking for different ways to implement things. You self-scout. You do a lot of different things week by week to give your team the best chance possible. But the core convictions about how you win ball games? They remain intact.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/11/24/jason-garrett-no-drastic-changes-coming-to-offense/
Where is the line to 2018 season tickets? I'm there!!!!!

garyo1954

Reaction score
Somebody mention Norv Turner?
Want to know where this offense comes from? Back in August, guess who showed up in Oxnard?

OXNARD, Calif. Former Dallas Cowboys offensive coordinator Norv Turner visited practice on Wednesday and got an upclose look at an offensive schemed fashioned after the dynasty title teams he directed in the 1990s.

Coach Jason Garrett has made no secret of copying Turner's philosophy with a throw-back run oriented style, featuring a dominant offensive line, which has been the foundation of the Cowboys success in recent years.

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/nfl/dallas-cowboys/article167648477.html

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Jason Garrett: No drastic changes coming to offense

The Cowboys have scored fewer than 10 points in three consecutive games, a feat never before seen in team history.

But coach Jason Garrett said Friday the Cowboys will not make drastic changes as they seek answers. Among the things that will remain the same: Offensive coordinator Scott Linehan as play-caller.

“Certainly we’re always looking at ourselves and things that we can do better, but our convictions as a coaching staff, or as a football team, really won’t change,” Garrett said, via Drew Davison of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.

“You’re looking for different ways to implement things. You self-scout. You do a lot of different things week by week to give your team the best chance possible. But the core convictions about how you win ball games? They remain intact.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/11/24/jason-garrett-no-drastic-changes-coming-to-offense/
Belichick is laughing. Laughing really hard.

khiladi

Reaction score
I’ve heard so many dumb things throughout the years to defend this guy’s offense.. Things like:

1. Garrett wanted to run, but Romo kept checking out if his running plays

2. Romo doesn’t throw a good quick route and slants, though he had one of the, if not quickest releases in the game

3. WRs sabotaging him as opposed to WRs having legitimate gripes about his incompetence, including his inability to devise hot routes in the face of blitzes

4. Dez doesn’t know his simplified playbook and that’s why he doesn’t run crossing routes and slants, though Dez’s best routes include them.. he’s actually not that good in comebacks which is what this offense uses a lot

5. Wade’s lack of accountability, while whatever Garrett did, he wasn’t held accountable for... hell, Wade wasn’t even involved in the offense at practice

6. Blaming Romo for his TOs when most of them were Romo pressing in hurry up to comeback while being down after Garrert’s woeful first half game planning that resulted in zero points and three and outs and lack of TOP..

kevm3

Reaction score
And this is the crux of the problem. NO adjustments. This is a clever way to shift the blame onto the players by essentially saying they need to execute better. But really, if the players are expected to step up, why don't the coaches? Why aren't the coaches expected to scheme better?

khiladi

Reaction score
Somebody mention Norv Turner?
Want to know where this offense comes from? Back in August, guess who showed up in Oxnard?

OXNARD, Calif. Former Dallas Cowboys offensive coordinator Norv Turner visited practice on Wednesday and got an upclose look at an offensive schemed fashioned after the dynasty title teams he directed in the 1990s.

Coach Jason Garrett has made no secret of copying Turner's philosophy with a throw-back run oriented style, featuring a dominant offensive line, which has been the foundation of the Cowboys success in recent years.

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/nfl/dallas-cowboys/article167648477.html

Feel good crap, with Garrett trying to take credit for last year when all of it was basically Linehan.. Garrett was demoted in 2013 and 2014 officially bounced..

Garrett was there one year with Norv in Dallas. Politician speak and if anything Garrett got more of the “game has passed him by” Ernie Zampese, throw the ball in front of the first down marker on the sidelines, when you need a first than anything else..

and Norv spanked the Cowboys when he was HC of the Cowboys to spite Jerry after he was in the running for tye HC job..

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
I’ve heard so many dumb things throughout the years to defend this guy’s offense.. Things like:

1. Garrett wanted to run, but Romo kept checking out if his running plays

2. Romo doesn’t throw a good quick route and slants, though he had one of the, if not quickest releases in the game

3. WRs sabotaging him as opposed to WRs having legitimate gripes about his incompetence, including his inability to devise hot routes in the face of blitzes

4. Dez doesn’t know his simplified playbook and that’s why he doesn’t run crossing routes and slants, though Dez’s best routes include them.. he’s actually not that good in comebacks which is what this offense uses a lot

5. Wade’s lack of accountability, while whatever Garrett did, he wasn’t held accountable for... hell, Wade wasn’t even involved in the offense at practice

6. Blaming Romo for his TOs when most of them were Romo pressing in hurry up to comeback while being down after Garrert’s woeful first half game planning that resulted in zero points and three and outs and lack of TOP..
as long as tony was here he took all the blame and now that he is gone and dak is qb the head coach as he should is taking the blame

Aven8

Reaction score
I remember specifically when TO was being asked why they don’t use him in motion and slant, where he succeeded his whole career, when the offense was struggling.. he basically gave that look and said to ask the coaches..

that got a blip on the radar and most Garrett homers in the media were dead set on pushing a TO anti-Romo locker room agenda and feeding it... I’m surprised nobody brings up the Wade Phillips Dan Reeves saga of how Wade Phillips saw this clowns inability to handle a running hand years ago, but was stifled in doing anything about it and it took years for Jerry to acknowledge Garrett sucked at it..

TO helped make Romo and I do remember that. JG is a snake and always will be. Jerry is blind.