News: PFT: Jason Garrett: No drastic changes coming to offense

CCBoy

Reaction score
Since Garret likes cliches/platitudes so much, here's one for him:

iu

Don't worry, that statement was from a smart man...

khiladi

Reaction score
TO helped make Romo and I do remember that. JG is a snake and always will be. Jerry is blind.

It’s easy to get TO to not see things clearly. He was at first attacking Jason Garrett specifically but by the end, the media narrative pushed a WR racism accusation that carried him into stupid assertions regarding Romo and Witten..

But it all comes back to Jerry facilitating Jason Garrett at the expense of everybody else..

Aven8

Reaction score
It’s easy to get TO to not see things clearly. He was at first attacking Jason Garrett specifically but by the end, the media narrative pushed a WR racism accusation that carried him into stupid assertions regarding Romo and Witten..

But it all comes back to Jerry facilitating Jason Garrett at the expense of everybody else..

The Dallas media are comfortable. They get easy access at the Ranch and now Star where it's easy to do their jobs. I'm sure they get to eat in the cafeteria for free etc. That's why it's nice to see them finally starting to ask the tough questions about this stooge. Fans have seen it all along.....

khiladi

Reaction score
The Dallas media are comfortable. They get easy access at the Ranch and now Star where it's easy to do their jobs. I'm sure they get to eat in the cafeteria for free etc. That's why it's nice to see them finally starting to ask the tough questions about this stooge. Fans have seen it all along.....

The Internet social media era.. can’t hide things anymore with an organization using media perks for feeding a narrative...

CCBoy

Reaction score
The media likes the safety of hiding behind drama and insult...not asking leading questions for resolving problems.

jblaze2004

Reaction score
I could only imagine want Dez stats would have looked like in a real offense. We don't run plays or design plays to get guys open. If our wr's and TE's don't win with route running then we are in trouble.

garyo1954

Reaction score
Feel good crap, with Garrett trying to take credit for last year when all of it was basically Linehan.. Garrett was demoted in 2013 and 2014 officially bounced..

Garrett was there one year with Norv in Dallas. Politician speak and if anything Garrett got more of the “game has passed him by” Ernie Zampese, throw the ball in front of the first down marker on the sidelines, when you need a first than anything else..

and Norv spanked the Cowboys when he was HC of the Cowboys to spite Jerry after he was in the running for tye HC job..

Explain.....Garrett was demoted in 2013 and 2014 officially bounced...(I'm thinking you mean '93 and '94 when he was a player)
Explain.....Norv spanked the Cowboys when he was HC of the Cowboys.......(Norv Turner has never been head coach of the Cowboys so I'm officially confused here)

Not following that at all.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
I could only imagine want Dez stats would have looked like in a real offense. We don't run plays or design plays to get guys open. If our wr's and TE's don't win with route running then we are in trouble.
Here's a quote from a Charger defender about Cole Beasley. As the play was coming on, he was doing a lot of those routes and I just kind of felt it coming, and then I looked back to see where the ball was coming and it was there and I just took it."

khiladi

Reaction score
Explain.....Garrett was demoted in 2013 and 2014 officially bounced...(I'm thinking you mean '93 and '94 when he was a player)
Explain.....Norv spanked the Cowboys when he was HC of the Cowboys.......(Norv Turner has never been head coach of the Cowboys so I'm officially confused here)

Not following that at all.

1. Should read Norv Turner as HC of San Diego abusing us.

2. Norv Turner left to take the Commanders HC job after the second SB. Garrett came, if I remember correctly, in 92, because of his father being in the scouting department and was released by signed to the practice squad. Hardly any time to say he was a disciple of Norv in any way whatsoever. He actually played with the Saints in 89 and was released in 1990 and was basically an assistant coach at Princeton until he signed with the Arena league in 1991.

The main point being a lot of nonsense is built around this myth that Garrett was a disciple of Norv. He was just a journeyman that happened to settle in Dallas because of his father’s ties.

As far as demotion, here is an article that quotes Jerry himself. There are others that go into more depth, but basically Callahan got the OC playcalling duties in 2013, but JG kept interfering. Jerry basically said that he was the OC, so in 2014, with Dallas not wanting to change philosophically from a Coryell offense, got Linehan and said JG would be totally removed from playcalling duties and would have an ambiguous role and he can walk around with the defense at practice.

So this argument that te success of Romo’s MVP like season or Dak’s year last year were in anyway a result of JGs offense is a lie. If anything it had to do with taking away his hands from the offense.

The guy is effectively a figure Head now that prevents any real, unified coherent leadership.

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/2/24/5443946/jerry-jones-cowboys-crying-jason-garrett

garyo1954

Reaction score
1. Should read Norv Turner as HC of San Diego abusing us.

2. Norv Turner left to take the Commanders HC job after the second SB. Garrett came, if I remember correctly, in 92, because of his father being in the scouting department and was released by signed to the practice squad. Hardly any time to say he was a disciple of Norv in any way whatsoever. He actually played with the Saints in 89 and was released in 1990 and was basically an assistant coach at Princeton until he signed with the Arena league in 1991.

The main point being a lot of nonsense is built around this myth that Garrett was a disciple of Norv. He was just a journeyman that happened to settle in Dallas because of his father’s ties.

As far as demotion, here is an article that quotes Jerry himself. There are others that go into more depth, but basically Callahan got the OC playcalling duties in 2013, but JG kept interfering. Jerry basically said that he was the OC, so in 2014, with Dallas not wanting to change philosophically from a Coryell offense, got Linehan and said JG would be totally removed from playcalling duties and would have an ambiguous role and he can walk around with the defense at practice.

So this argument that te success of Romo’s MVP like season or Dak’s year last year were in anyway a result of JGs offense is a lie. If anything it had to do with taking away his hands from the offense.

The guy is effectively a figure Head now that prevents any real, unified coherent leadership.

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/2/24/5443946/jerry-jones-cowboys-crying-jason-garrett

Thank you for the clarification. I remember when Linehan came on there was, as the article describes, a good deal of confusion as to who would call the plays.

With Callahan gone, that issue seems to have resolve itself.

erod

Reaction score
it doesn't matter who is throwing the ball in this offense. This offense is garbage.
These are the pretty much the same plays every team runs.

Last year, the offense was unstoppable with Zeke, Leary, and Free.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Jason Garrett: No drastic changes coming to offense

The Cowboys have scored fewer than 10 points in three consecutive games, a feat never before seen in team history.

But coach Jason Garrett said Friday the Cowboys will not make drastic changes as they seek answers. Among the things that will remain the same: Offensive coordinator Scott Linehan as play-caller.

“Certainly we’re always looking at ourselves and things that we can do better, but our convictions as a coaching staff, or as a football team, really won’t change,” Garrett said, via Drew Davison of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.

“You’re looking for different ways to implement things. You self-scout. You do a lot of different things week by week to give your team the best chance possible. But the core convictions about how you win ball games? They remain intact.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/11/24/jason-garrett-no-drastic-changes-coming-to-offense/

Great news. This means more drubbings and a quicker exit for clappy the clown.

ShortRound

Reaction score
What Garrett is saying is that the offense is fine but it's not being executed properly. In other words, it's not Garrett's fault. He has a job to protect as well.

This exactly, wasn't there an article where Garrett told the players they can be 15-1 or 1-15, but it's they're decision. Meaning the players.

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
The coaches can't throw the ball for Dak.
Maybe the system fit Romo but doesn’t fit Dak? Hall of famer Chris carter constantly says nfl players are all about systems and being a system player isn’t a bad thing.