News: PFT: Jason Garrett: No drastic changes coming to offense

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
I don't feel entitled because of that. I'm not gaining some special advantage for something I don't really deserve or qualify for. That is the point of the game. To produce a consistently winning team on the field that has a chance to compete for Super Bowls.
Other teams do it but because it's the Cowboys we aren't supposed to want it. We're supposed to accept mediocrity.

Proximo

Reaction score
Did not read thread-

But, generally speaking, even if we ARE going to make some significant change scheme wise or play designs, it wouldn't make any sense at all for the head coach to publicly announce it a week before the next game.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That is just depressing. But it makes total sense. If you remember back earlier this season when we were winning one of the teams coaches said something like "scouting the cowboys offense is very easy, it's just hard to stop them". That is what he means by standing by the teams convictions. You don't do anything tricky, you out talent and execute them.

The problem is that it requires everything to work and doesn't cover for any weaknesses. It's why we don't pick, or do bunch formations. We are men who win 1-1 to earn our yards. You can see for yourself how that ebbs and flows with our talent and what happens when someone hits a slump.
This mentality worked in the 90's but it won't work now. You can't just load up at every position and beat the hell out of your opponent. Not only that, the rules of the game are totally different now and this team has not adapted to take advantage of that either. In fact, we are stuck in yesteryear mentality on both sides of the ball.

Last edited:

Dodger12

Reaction score
Have you ever ONE TIME heard Garrett take the blame for anything? I haven't.

Never. He's the HC without any accountability. He's a glorified cheerleader and has the best seat in the house to watch a game. More importantly, personal accountability is a leadership trait that is absolutely necessary because the players will follow that lead. And some folks here believe Garrett established a culture? Bull****.

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
This only confirms what I’ve been claiming for years. Garrett and his coaches only have a plan A. There is no plan B. Is it because they are too stubborn, or is it because they are incompetent?

Garrett’s plan has always been to keep it simple and beat them with talent. The fatal flaw in this scheme is when the “talent” either is not there, is not playing well, or is hurt. Teams can immediately neutralize this team when that happens because they only need to physically play better than the Cowboys. They don’t need to have a better scheme, and they don’t need to out think the Cowboys. These guys can go out there and pin their ears back knowing they won’t be fooled by any thing the Cowboys are doing. They can watch film all week with the knowledge that what they saw all week on film will be happening on game day.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This only confirms what I’ve been claiming for years. Garrett and his coaches only have a plan A. There is no plan B. Is it because they are too stubborn, or is it because they are incompetent?

Garrett’s plan has always been to keep it simple and beat them with talent. The fatal flaw in this scheme is when the “talent” either is not there, is not playing well, or is hurt. Teams can immediately neutralize this team when that happens because they only need to physically play better than the Cowboys. They don’t need to have a better scheme, and they don’t need to out think the Cowboys. These guys can go out there and pin their ears back knowing they won’t be fooled by any thing the Cowboys are doing. They can watch film all week with the knowledge that what they saw all week on film will be happening on game day.
:clap:

Zman5

Reaction score
You're knowledge of football is so minute, why do you think coaches constantly scale back and simplify schemes when they're players struggle? I sat with Kevin Gilbride for 15 minutes talking about this and passing concepts at a Glazier clinic. You don't need the best players if they can execute your system.

Fact that you are trying so had to sound knowledgeable by name dropping tells me you probably just started watching football last week. You got long way to go. I guess next time you reply, you are going to tell me you gave pointer to Belichick while having lunch with him. LOL.

Satchel89

Reaction score
Of course not. Why change it up? They have scored 22 points in 3 games. At least the 8-8 teams were in most of the games. This team has gotten clobbered in 3 games and I'm not counting the Denver game. They aren't even competitive. They are getting called out by other teams. I understand the players have to make plays and we're finding out that they don't have many playmakers but that should make them do something different or try something new. They are pretty much an unwatchable team at this point but he's the coach so I guess he's ok with that.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Hope the other teams players continue to call our players out. Only way for them to turn on the coach. Make them feel what most of us fans have felt all these years.

StylisticS

Reaction score

On the money yet depressing at the same time.

CODE_BLUE56

Reaction score
If you can't or refuse to adjust the team to injuries or other incidentals that happen in some shape or form, should you really be the coach?

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
The Patriots offense looks different every week. Today, it's the Rex Burkhead show because they found a match up to exploit on Miami's defense. Next week, it'll be something else depending on what they see in the opponent.

The Cowboys offense looks the same every week. Change things to exploit match ups? Nah. Just do what we do and try to out-execute them. If a guy is injured or suspended, plug the next guy in and do the same thing.

popp1234

Reaction score
What Garrett is saying is that the offense is fine but it's not being executed properly. In other words, it's not Garrett's fault. He has a job to protect as well.

What Garrett is saying is that he rides the coat tails of superstar athletes. They are the reason for his success, not the opposite. PATHETIC!

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
Translation .. "We don't know how to fix things"

Also: Doesn’t have the personnel to fix things.

Can’t deny that Garrett has been outcoached all year, particularly in that Falcons game. But genuinely curious to hear how CowboysZoners would change the offense in the last quarter of the season.

I’d personally settle for them taking that stupid Ryan Switzer end-around play out of the playbook and throwing more on first down. But those aren’t drastic changes. The roster is what it is.

What am I missing? Help me out here?