News: PFT: NFL may fine Giants for illegal use of walkie-talkies

NewsBot

Reaction score
As the Giants help the NFL sweep Deflategate 2 under the rug, the Giants themselves are now the subjects of the next league investigation: Walkie-talkiegate. The league is expected to fine the Giants for using walkie-talkies in violation of NFL rules during Sunday night’s win over the Cowboys, the New York Post reports. During the…http://youwillnotrackme2.net/b.gif?host=profootballtalk.nbcsports.com&blog=&post=2431275&subd=nbcprofootballtalk&ref=&feed=1

Continue reading...

xvendettax914

Reaction score
Saw this upon leaving the game Sunday. Didn't think anything would come of it. Kinda surprised

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There's a weak rumor going around that they might have been able to use the two way radios to hear Cowboys play calls. I don't give it much credence, but it's interesting to talk about.

Bigdog

Reaction score
This is ridiculous. They use walkietalkies in a game which is illegal, have punter only get a 1 game suspension for several domestic violence incidents against his wife and will only get a fine. Meanwhile, 6 years ago Jones and Snyder are smarter than the other 30 owners and front load their FA contracts and Mara cries it is unfair so they get docked 35 mil and 10 mil respectively for FA all because Mara thought it cried foul. Ok I see the fairness in that said nobody.

AzorAhai

Reaction score
There's a weak rumor going around that they might have been able to use the two way radios to hear Cowboys play calls. I don't give it much credence, but it's interesting to talk about.
I saw that as well. If there was any shread of proof that came out verifying that, the penalty would have to be excruciatingly severe. I'm talking any coach involved suspended indefinitely, multiple high picks forfeited, a fine in the millions... That would be a huge smear on the NFL and an outright fix of a game. That makes deflate gate, crowd noise and walkie talkies miniscule in comparison. Hopefully it's not true, because that could be really bad for the league moving forward.

Deep_South

Reaction score
The Giants should have to forfeit the game for cheating. I mean, the only reason they cheated was to beat the Cowboys, which makes us the victims. Fining the Giants doesn't compensate us at all, and isn't going to prevent the Giants from cheating in the future. If using the walkie talkies made a difference of one yard in field position, that very well could have been the yard we needed to make the field goal that bounced off the cross bar, and the game would have been tied at the end of regulation.
That's about as good as I can do, and I did keep a straight face while writing it. ;)

DallasCowboys2080

Reaction score
im sorry what competitive advantage does using walkie talkies in this game have? not trying to argue. just trying to understand. thanks.

RJ_MacReady

It's all in the reflexes
Reaction score
Nothing is happening to John Mara's team.
250px-Grima_and_Th%C3%A9oden.jpg

im sorry what competitive advantage does using walkie talkies in this game have? not trying to argue. just trying to understand. thanks.
Using your own hand-held comm device means that league can't regulate the usage (i.e. shutting the comm down 15 seconds before the snap). Nothing to stop them from calling out anything they see from the press box either (using your own frequency, so who's to say who's transmitting what from where), even post snap. Real time stuff.

Last edited:

DallasCowboys2080

Reaction score
Nothing is happening to John Mara's team.
250px-Grima_and_Th%C3%A9oden.jpg

Using your own hand-held comm device means that league can't regulate the usage (i.e. shutting the comm down 15 seconds before the snap). Nothing to stop them from calling out anything they see from the press boxes either, even post snap. Real time stuff.

:omg:

thnx man. WOW. Does this make a difference when giants were on defense?

cowboys did the best job ive seen them do on defense. they shut down a lot of stuff sans that beckham play. they weren't shredding our defense. they were stopping our offense. giants D seemed to have our number.

so if this gave them an advantage on offense why didnt they do better?

RJ_MacReady

It's all in the reflexes
Reaction score
:omg:

thnx man. WOW. Does this make a difference when giants were on defense?

Well there is a rumor that they had our frequency, but that seems unlikely. It was my understanding that only the Giants were having "radio problems" and switched to their own handhelds. So I don't believe a comm breach was an issue/possible seeing that the Cowboys were still using the league regulated devices (heavily encrypted). Now, if Dallas was having problems, too, and the Giants handed them some ham radios and said "Hey, Friends...use these!", then possible.
icon_lol.gif

But to answer your question. Just having the ability to keep communcation with the QB of your defense up to the snap of the ball (to see last-minute pre-snap movements or giving more time when offense is using hurry-up), compared to cutting it off at 15 seconds prior is an advantage. Do I believe that's what happened? I don't know. More than likely not, but out of spite for John Mara screwing us in that 2010 uncapped salary year debacle, I hope something happens. If the league doesn't set a precedence, then what's to stop other teams from having "comm issues" and breaking out their own hand-helds?

DallasCowboys2080

Reaction score
ive been lookin into this now. didnt realize they could have a competitive advantage.

found this tidbit...

"So the reports are actually coming out now that the Giants were on the same radio frequency as the Cowboys and knew every play call in the 4th quarter. That is the only quarter they got pressure on Dak….so….read into that what you will"