News: PFT: NFL may fine Giants for illegal use of walkie-talkies

khiladi

Reaction score
Spy-gate was way worse than this and part of it included communicating with Brady via a separate frequency after the 15 second clock. Most of this was squashed under the rug or not given any air play. Interference with the communication channels of opposition as well.

In fact, it was Spygate controversy that initiated plenty of things like spot checks before the games on the communication booths. The defensive mic was also introduced after Spygate to prevent stealing of signals.

Go Big D!

Destination End Zone
Reaction score
It is mind blowing how little press this getting.
It really is. I heard more about the deflated balls from the Giants/Steelers game and as far as I know a formal complaint wasn't even filed in that case like it was with ours. Ridiculous.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Nobody on the Giant's staff ever checked to see if this walkie talkie back up system, which if we believe them, is kept turned off in a box on the sidelines, just in case it needs to be turned on and used if the main system breaks down, was legal within the rules?

An entire coaching staff and front office had no idea if the main radio system malfunctioned, the moment they took these walkie talkies out of the box and turned them on, they would be in violation of the league rules? Is this just abject incompetence at their jobs?

Leave aside the fact for the moment that they would have to test these walkie talkies beforehand to make sure they were on the correct frequency to be picked up by the helmet's radio receiver.

NOBODY on the Giant's staff ever thinks for a second, "Gee, maybe we should check to see if it's legal for us to use this as our back up system?"

And once they take these walkie talkies out of the box and start using them, they don't notify the NFL's comms employee at the stadium that's manning the 'dead switch' that cuts off the radios at 15 seconds?

This whole thing stinks.
good points,it does all sound fishy.

zack

Reaction score
Sounds like they are going to get a small slap on the wrist. I don't know how this is possible? How can Goodell be this obvious for his love for the Giants?

First, the NFL let the Josh Brown only get suspended for 1 game where he should have been suspended for 6. However, he comes out and says that he is still investigating Elliott???

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Sounds like they are going to get a small slap on the wrist. I don't know how this is possible? How can Goodell be this obvious for his love for the Giants?

First, the NFL let the Josh Brown only get suspended for 1 game where he should have been suspended for 6. However, he comes out and says that he is still investigating Elliott???
They aren't even trying to hide it anymore.

That's okay Giants. You can use illegal electronic communication devices to help win a game. Meanwhile, Cleveland's former GM got suspended for texting, Atlanta got busted down for pumping in noise. Neither of which could ever impact a win or a loss to this degree.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I know the Patriots get the cheating label, but I don't see anything they have ever done as anything close to what the Giants did.

They clearly and willingly, with no grey area, circumvented the rules.
Spygate.

mahoneybill

Reaction score
That's probably because it was a play fake to Witten.

He's not beating anyone deep and has the agility of a road cone with the ball in hands. Love the guy but nobody is selling out on guarding him.

Road Cone :):):):):)

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
Browns did much less a few years back and lost a draft choice. The Giants? A fine. Sounds about right

drawandstrike

Reaction score
Remember, with Spygate, the NFL had just sent out a memo to all the teams before that season started reminding them all it was against the rules to film or make video of their opponent's signals on the sidelines.

And then a Pats employee was caught on the sidelines doing exactly that.