News: PFT: NFL revenue drops from $16 billion in 2019 to $12 billion in 2020

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
25% drop from nearly zero attendance and all the money that brings in and more and more people taking to streaming/DL'ing games...

I'm not exactly that concerned. They just need to be aggressive changing with the times and attendance is coming back.

I read a news article, not a sports article, that originally came from I think the Washington Post that talked about if the NFL chose to make some games only viewable on a streaming service and this article said that the business people they talked to about this all feel that would be something that they would very quickly regret. There are many people who's income has suffered since the pandemic and has had to make some decisions on expenses. Many people dropped their cable/dish subscriptions as well as many of the streaming services that charge. One of the business people said that if someone now has to miss MNF because a cable/dish or streaming service is needed but then also are taking another game away every week for the same reasons, people might then just say let the NFL try to exist without all the people who now have to use the antenna to watch games to stop watching games with the antenna. The number of people watching games each week start to drop the networks have to start for the first time to start charging less for add time during NFL games because business see that not as many people are watching. They said this could be a short term gain for the league that turns into a long term problem.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I read a news article, not a sports article, that originally came from I think the Washington Post that talked about if the NFL chose to make some games only viewable on a streaming service and this article said that the business people they talked to about this all feel that would be something that they would very quickly regret. There are many people who's income has suffered since the pandemic and has had to make some decisions on expenses. Many people dropped their cable/dish subscriptions as well as many of the streaming services that charge. One of the business people said that if someone now has to miss MNF because a cable/dish or streaming service is needed but then also are taking another game away every week for the same reasons, people might then just say let the NFL try to exist without all the people who now have to use the antenna to watch games to stop watching games with the antenna. The number of people watching games each week start to drop the networks have to start for the first time to start charging less for add time during NFL games because business see that not as many people are watching. They said this could be a short term gain for the league that turns into a long term problem.

the Sunday ticket deal expires after 2022.

NFL needs more streaming options.

people will pay for it.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Interesting.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
the Sunday ticket deal expires after 2022.

NFL needs more streaming options.

people will pay for it.

For 70 years the extremely vast majority of games have been aired on networks that need nothing more than an antenna to see the games. Since so many people did not work for all, most or part of the last year they have had to make some choices on expenses. One of the local station's news groups did a piece on just that and the local cable company said that for the most of the last year the number of people ending their subscriptions has been at a rate that is of great concern to the company. This news story also talked to a smaller cable company located about 35 miles away that said they are in negotiations with the first company to sell their clients because they are no longer making enough money to stay open. Just like many other businesses that have closed permanently because the past year. You may be lucky and can afford to spend money on cable/dish or streaming services, but those are things I had to stop as an unneeded expense.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
You mean sports lost money when no fans were allowed? Wow!! No way!!

And don't worry, the owners are going to make up that money. Tickets, parking, apparel, food, merchandise, etc will all be higher. Capitalism baby!

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I hate it when my business only brings in $12 billion a year. How will the owners survive?

The issue isn't the owners. The problem is more for the players b/c the salary cap is tied to revenue. Most of the owners have plenty of money and multiple revenue streams. Their football team is a fun hobby.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is how Spam became a NFL sponsor.

Serves them right, hope they learned how to make tomato soup out of hot water and McDonald's ketchup packets. Instead of The Combine, they've set up a hobo camp down by the railyard in Indy for the owners' families. Public schools and Taco Tuesdays is coming and hell is coming with them.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
More than just the pandemic factoring into this. Things we can't discuss on this site played a part, but the fact the NFL hasn't adapted well to streaming and getting it streamlined will be a death nail for the NFL if they can't adapt.

There is simply too much easy accessed entertainment these days and anyone thinking the NFL is too big to fail, you just sit back and watch.
Will you please explain what you mean about the NFL not adapting to streaming? I'd seriously like to understand your thoughts on this topic. Thanks in advance.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
The NFL had a marquee Brady-Mahomes super bowl with a captive audience and still the ratings sunk. And the decrease includes the number of people streaming from what I read. How does one explain the decreased SB viewers?

Redzone has to be killing the network games. No commercials and I would rather watch redzone than any one game. I stream redzone for free on the internet and watch the Cowboy game a couple days later free on the internet. The NFL gets no revenue from me. I don’t get where this streaming revenue will save the NFL. When I am out on Sundays I don’t see people streaming games on their smart phones.

Maybe the NFL is hoping to get international revenue like basketball trying to get Chinese viewers since the American market is drying up. NFL could increase foreign interest with a team in London and Mexico City.

I can’t remember the last time I saw kids playing a pickup football game. I don’t even see kids throwing a football around just for fun.I do see people playing basketball a little. You need about 8 to make playing football fun. Basketball can be fun with just 2 people playing. Football for me was most fun when I was playing it with my friends and then watching it. Kids need to experience the game firsthand to appreciate it and want to watch.

Most of my coworkers with kids don’t want or won’t let their kids play football due to concussion worries even though kids get more concussed playing soccer than football. Many of the mothers are dead set against letting their kids play football.

If Amazon gets involved in bidding for football games, I suspect it is not the game of football they care about but destroying the competition (networks) and monopolizing tv. Football is just a means to an end for Amazon. I suspect something nefarious going on with Big Tech and bidding for football. None of the people running Amazon give a rat’s rear end about football. That should give everyone who likes football cause for concern. Amazon will change how the game is played.

Motorola

Reaction score
All of the Chicken Littles hear at CZ - give a prediction on what year there will no longer be see the NFL on network TV.