News: PFT: NFL revenue drops from $16 billion in 2019 to $12 billion in 2020

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I know a lot of family and friends who are done with the NFL. So you can't tell me that isn't widespread. That business isn't coming back. They'll get new contracts with the TV networks but that comes with expectations of viewership being up. They will be disappointed to find out that the expected viewership won't all be there and isn't coming back.
I've been saying this for months and people on these boards treat me like I'm crazy. There is no doubt the NFL has lost a portion of their fan base. It remains to be seen if it's a large portion or small. Either way, I don't see how streaming to young people will make up for the loss.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I've been saying this for months and people on these boards treat me like I'm crazy. There is no doubt the NFL has lost a portion of their fan base. It remains to be seen if it's a large portion or small. Either way, I don't see how streaming to young people will make up for the loss.
Exactly right! Plus the XFL is looking to make a comeback in 2022. The NFL's catering to the wokeness crowd will drive football fans to be far more willing to accept a new professional football league. The NFL is not too big to fail.

KB1122

Reaction score
The other thing happening is that there were a group of charismatic young dual-use quarterbacks who are now out of the league. The league didn't adjust to them. They kept the same dropback mentality. They didn't create new rules to protect quarterbacks. So the league now only has one young superstar: Patrick Mahomes. Who is kind of annoying. And Tom Brady endorses luxury products. He appeals to a small set of corporate executives, and that's it.

Last edited:

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
So the cap should be closer to 150 million this year if they wanted to get it all back at once? They're still going to take it back in future years I guess.

$12 billion x .48 for player revenue split divided by 32 teams = $180 million per team. That's not far off from the salary cap number at all. They shouldn't have to borrow against future increases in the cap at all.

Turk

Reaction score
Uh oh. We're giving the "I hope the NFL burns" crowd glimmers of hope. This will be their "proof" that it's really happening. Lol.
you really are trying to audition for Micky Spagnola's job, aren't you?

KB1122

Reaction score
Another thing I miss is how teams used to have a brand. The Steelers were the team of the working class. The Raiders were the team for rebels, hippies and misfits. The Dolphins were the team for party people. The Packers were the team for small towns. The Cowboys were the team of the Bible Belt but also had that touch of Hollywood. It meant something to be a fan of a particular team. Now it's more 32 groups of people wearing different colors.

Flamma

Reaction score
$12 billion x .48 for player revenue split divided by 32 teams = $180 million per team. That's not far off from the salary cap number at all. They shouldn't have to borrow against future increases in the cap at all.

In the end it probably won't. Whatever they need to recoup can be had if and when the cap spikes due to new TV deals. But it's still worth mentioning.

DuncanIso

Reaction score

ATT Sunday ticket is too restrictive. You have to buy their dish. (But there are ways around it. )

NFL game day is cool, but they only stream the games after they are played.

NFL has to wait until after 2022 to fix the Sunday Ticket mess, unless they have good lawyers.

Everything is streaming now.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
They want you to believe it was all the pandemic.
Considering most teams didn’t have any fans in attendance and the rest very limited , I believe we can present an argument it was mostly the result of the pandemic.

The loss in TV viewership is accredited to several different symptoms which ultimately didn’t effect the leagues ability to negotiate for increase in their contracts with the Networks just recently as the NFL even during the pandemic distanced themselves against more deflating programming and live sports broadcasting.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
ATT Sunday ticket is too restrictive. You have to buy their dish. (But there are ways around it. )

NFL game day is cool, but they only stream the games after they are played.

NFL has to wait until after 2022 to fix the Sunday Ticket mess, unless they have good lawyers.

Everything is streaming now.
Yep. It’s come to my understanding that the Sunday NFL ticket as we know it is in jeopardy continuing after this season or thru 2022. We shall see. The league is looking for other venues including streaming online to broadcast these rights for subscription.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree and there was nothing they could do about it. The CTE issue, which is still hanging out there in the lawsuit, put them in a corner. Social issues and the younger males being more into video games than football was coming and will only grow stronger.

The NFL did 12B, just in the US, the video gaming industry did 60B. Where are innovations likely to impact the growth of each? The owners have already changed it to a fantasy game and the growth is just not there.

The immediate future, 10 years, looks OK and the TV nets and streamers will support it but the future beyond that for the NFL does not look automatic as it used to look.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Threads like this keep things interesting in the offseason. Some fascinating views on business and culture, accented with a tinfoil hat.

Reaction score

They've been slowly chipping away at the game making it less enjoyable and the players are becoming less likeable,,, and now becoming overtly politicized was the worst thing the league could do.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I agree and there was nothing they could do about it. The CTE issue, which is still hanging out there in the lawsuit, put them in a corner. Social issues and the younger males being more into video games than football was coming and will only grow stronger.

The NFL did 12B, just in the US, the video gaming industry did 60B. Where are innovations likely to impact the growth of each? The owners have already changed it to a fantasy game and the growth is just not there.

The immediate future, 10 years, looks OK and the TV nets and streamers will support it but the future beyond that for the NFL does not look automatic as it used to look.
Well done.

It’s really difficult to predict where we’ll be in 10 years from now. No doubt the consumer is evolving in how they obtain and view their entertainment visually.

I even admit at my age I’ve begun using streaming more subscribing to Netflix and Apple TV because it’s affordable, easy access and exclusive coverage.

That is effecting my viewership on Network and Cable TV. It also has effected the package Im buying with Direct TV.

The NFL is a lifeblood for the Networks and why even with declining viewership they coughed up more for their rights to broadcast. Most likely their survival will be dependent on live sports broadcasting moving forward more than ever.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
They've been slowly chipping away at the game making it less enjoyable and the players are becoming less likeable,,, and now becoming overtly politicized was the worst thing the league could do.
Initially yes but it also attracts other fringe fans that those stances represent.

The game has become less attractive though due to the owners not the players. With the exception of their personal conduct .

The owners are the ones who swept the CTE issues under the rug for decades which came back to bite them which brought on all of these rule changes so many fans dislike.

And it’s the owners who implemented the Salary Cap which has placed more attention and the effects in team building on players salaries.

The TV contracts , new stadiums with increased ticket prices along with stadium sponsorships is driving the increase in revenue which is all basically driven by the fans .

I recall a time when players were just part time athletes with regular jobs in the offseason. But the owners were still multi millionaires. What’s changed is the amount of money and attention fans generate and contribute in attendance and viewership.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well done.

It’s really difficult to predict where we’ll be in 10 years from now. No doubt the consumer is evolving in how they obtain and view their entertainment visually.

I even admit at my age I’ve begun using streaming more subscribing to Netflix and Apple TV because it’s affordable, easy access and exclusive coverage.

That is effecting my viewership on Network and Cable TV. It also has effected the package Im buying with Direct TV.

The NFL is a lifeblood for the Networks and why even with declining viewership they coughed up more for their rights to broadcast. Most likely their survival will be dependent on live sports broadcasting moving forward more than ever.
One thing that is helping TV is that the agencies are coming to grips with the fact they can't apply the ratings points formula to live sports.

There is real value to any advertiser on a medium that isn't usually time shifted like live sports. They're willing to pay a premium because the opportunities for that are only shrinking. The NFL should continue to be the top live sports advertising opportunity for the foreseeable future.

What has shifted are the demos so that 18-34 male that was the support for everything else is not as strong as it once was and it is an older audience. So, more Lipitor and less Bud Light.

The real justification for the nets is the ability to promote other programming to the largest live audience of the week. Fox built their network on that.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Oop! I'm sorry!
Oh! Sorry again!
Dangit! Sorry!
Gol'darnit! I'm calling the match. ABQ has cluster concussions!

Listen, we're going to need to get you a good helmet, if we're going to win that 'chip.
ABQ? Buddy? How many fingers am I holding up?
No... I'm not holding up Amber Heard.

Oy vey.

Lucky for you, my Wife is a forward thinker and has already bought me a helmet, just for general purposes. You know........