News: PFT: NFL revenue drops from $16 billion in 2019 to $12 billion in 2020

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How many of the 32 teams is that their single source revenue? I don't think any of the owners are adding more water to their ramen noodles to stretch them.

I assume NFL revenue means all revenue generated by the NFL teams and the league - TV contracts, ticket sales, merchandise etc … all of which comes from being an NFL team. Maybe there is something else they make money off of that the league doesn't factor in, but I'm not aware of what that is.

Maybe you are thinking of stadiums? If so, in the case of AT&T the city of Arlington owns it, not the Cowboys, or even Jerry individually. The Cowboys pay the city rent and a portion of the naming rights money to use it. I assume the naming rights money the Cowboys receive is factored into the revenue the NFL is reporting.

Last edited:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This was merely a bump in the road for the NFL and they'll weather the storm without a problem for at least 10 more years.

While many are pissed at them for things other than football, fans have not left in the millions like they'd like to believe.

Did anyone think the ratings would just keep going up? No ceiling in sight even though the numbers for the ratings backbone males 18-34 has been an issue since ABC moved MNF.

Even with the ratings decline, the TV nets will pony up more money than they ever have because it has become more of a necessity to them. The ratings decline is not the NFL's problem and they've worked with the nets in the past to help them out and they will since the relationship is symbiotic.

While some are thinking the end is near, they haven't considered the effect of the young gun QB's and WR's that are continuing to come into the league and most fans want pretty passes and circus catches and as long as they deliver that, they will be fine. What other pro sport is going to challenge them?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I assume NFL revenue means all revenue generated by the NFL teams and the league - TV contracts, ticket sales, merchandise etc … all of which comes from being an NFL team. If there is something else they make money off of that the league doesn't factor in, I'm not aware of what that is.
There isn't, that's all reported NFL revenue but what owner just lives off their team? The Jones family doesn't just depend on the Cowboys for revenue nor do the Maras, Rooneys, McCaskeys or Krafts.

These people will make up the short fall on tax write offs.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There isn't, that's all reported NFL revenue but what owner just lives off their team? The Jones family doesn't just depend on the Cowboys for revenue nor do the Maras, Rooneys, McCaskeys or Krafts.

These people will make up the short fall on tax write offs.
I wasn't suggesting Jerry or any other owner was living entirely off the team, and in fact I specifically mentioned that Jerry had other investments (albeit of much lesser value than the Cowboys).

But the question was about the business of the NFL, not about whether NFL owners have other sources of income where they are personally doing fine aside from the NFL My point was that the NFL and teams are separate from those other sources, and not supported by those other sources, and the health of the NFL is dependent entirely on the revenue it generates on it's own.

jnday

Reaction score
I wasn't suggesting Jerry or any other owner was living entirely off the team, and in fact I specifically mentioned that Jerry had other investments (albeit of much lesser value than the Cowboys).

But the question was about the business of the NFL, not about whether NFL owners have other sources of income where they are personally doing fine aside from the NFL My point was that the NFL and teams are separate from those other sources, and not supported by those other sources, and the health of the NFL is dependent entirely on the revenue it generates on it's own.
Jerry said that one oil well paid for that $125 million yacht that he used as a war room during the last draft, so he definitely has a nice income coming from outside the Cowboys.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Many of the players, who makes millions a year playing a game, share the same negative attitude towards the owners that allows them the opportunity to make more money than they could ever make in the real world. They are too stupid to realize that biting the hand that feeds you is not a smart ideal. There is no player that can’t be replaced , but it is much harder replacing a billionaire owner.

Yeah, I'll be honest, I don't understand it. I mean, I understand that negotiations are not always pretty but wishing ill on the owners is like wanting your job to be gone forever, the very next day. I don't get that mentality at all. Players need Owners, Owners need Fans, Fans need Players. Circle of Life stuff.......

:laugh:

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Yeah, so? Without these owners, the thing you love (NFL) is no more. Why would you take the position that you do, against those who are literally giving you the game you love? I don't understand that.
Because the owners & league are just fine, that's my whole point. League revenue being down 25% after decades of exponential profit isn't a major concern. I'm not excited that revenue is down, however i am confused as to why i'm expected to start a Go Fund Me page for billionaires who lost millions. I'm sure Jerrys yacht cost him more than the 2020 season did. It's like being upset for the person making 50k a year getting hit with a $50 speeding ticket. It sucks, but move on.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry said that one oil well paid for that $125 million yacht that he used as a war room during the last draft, so he definitely has a nice income coming from outside the Cowboys.
I never said he didn't have a nice income outside of the Cowboys. One oil well didn’t pay for a $125 million yacht though.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yeah, I'll be honest, I don't understand it. I mean, I understand that negotiations are not always pretty but wishing ill on the owners is like wanting your job to be gone forever, the very next day. I don't get that mentality at all. Players need Owners, Owners need Fans, Fans need Players. Circle of Life stuff.......

Actually it’s the NFL that allows the owners to purchase or create new franchises. Fans need to remember that the owners must qualify and be approved to purchase NFL franchises.

And as we saw in the NBA franchises can be taken away . Something our owner flirted with a couple years ago when he stirred them up and quickly retreated. He realized that no one is bigger than the sum.

The embody of the NFL is its Anti Trust status established with Congress that allows it to in effect operate as a monopoly with tax free status making it practically indestructible.

There’s not a better guarantee to invest in if your purchasing a Franchise. While until in recent decades the annual revenues weren’t what they are today as not all teams generated yearly profits their franchises value grew significantly over time .

Cowboys a great example in the 80’s with Bum who was actually losing about a million a month when he sold to Jerry but the value of the franchise grew from about 80 million to 140 million.

And most of these owners with the exception of Jerry initially were not dependent financially on their teams revenue. It is simply an investment.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
This was merely a bump in the road for the NFL and they'll weather the storm without a problem for at least 10 more years.

While many are pissed at them for things other than football, fans have not left in the millions like they'd like to believe.

Did anyone think the ratings would just keep going up? No ceiling in sight even though the numbers for the ratings backbone males 18-34 has been an issue since ABC moved MNF.

Even with the ratings decline, the TV nets will pony up more money than they ever have because it has become more of a necessity to them. The ratings decline is not the NFL's problem and they've worked with the nets in the past to help them out and they will since the relationship is symbiotic.

While some are thinking the end is near, they haven't considered the effect of the young gun QB's and WR's that are continuing to come into the league and most fans want pretty passes and circus catches and as long as they deliver that, they will be fine. What other pro sport is going to challenge them?
Yea, fans forget the NFL survived without TV initially. I’m old enough to recall when all games weren’t televised. And playing in the NFL was a part time job.

This decrease in revenue is mainly credited to the loss of tickets sold and stadium revenue. Normally the NFL sells about 17 million tickets in a season. This year only 1 million. And that doesn’t include revenue from parking, concession and merchandise sold at the games.

The Networks have already coughed up more for TV rights despite loss in viewership. This segment of fans who were hoping their lack of support as a result of the NFL stance on social injustices has proved them wrong.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

I’m old enough to remember it took a Supreme Court ruling to establish Free Agency. Owners basically had slave-like players owning their rights exclusively. Much has changed over the years. The players have had to fight to gain their rights.

They were basically part time athletes needing regular jobs in the off-season. My uncle for example chose not to play for Lombardi and the Packers simply cause it wasn’t feasible to move his family to Green Bay to play football a few months of the year. The money simply wasn’t there .

And owners didn’t bring a franchise to a city just for profit. It was more of a passion to bring the sport for its municipalities enjoyment. Most owners were philopanthers .

And up until the new blackout rules after the merger home games weren’t televised locally to encourage attendance . In 1973 they begun televising home games if they were sold out 72 hours in advance. Those rules have been amended since.

But the point is the league can survive without all of the TV viewership . It’s not going to need to test that for years to come . I can see the way Americans choose their entertainment means of watching programming evolving into another media stream at some point.

For now the NFL and live sports is the lifeblood of Network TV. It’s an iconic brand. And the league will remain solvent and probably continue to grow. It’s become America’s game.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
NFL owners in the beginning were basically wealthy philanthropist bringing the sport to their home municipalities for citizens to enjoy.

It was more like a donation than an investment . They used college stadiums relying on those revenues to fund the team.

It was minimal investments . Clint Murchison Jr the original owner of the Cowboys in 1959 only cost $50,000 for rights to the Dallas franchise. About the price of a nice SUV now.

And he was from a multi million dollar oil family who owned their own island on the Texas gulf coast who entertained presidents . $50,000 was chump change.

TV viewership and these mega stadiums has evolved the league into what it is now. Something that isn’t necessary for the game we all love.

shabazz

Reaction score
They want you to believe it was all the pandemic.

The pandemic should have increased viewership, but other NFL agendas have effected it exactly the other way.

It is said that 15% of revenue comes from ticket sales, but it remains that digital streaming and tv viewership decreased 7 %.........the apologists may now feel free to spin this away

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

They're prepared for anything of this nature because they know it's just a bump and this bump came at a pretty good time with the largest TV/streaming rights contracts in history coming up.

The nets realize how much they need the NFL and there is no way they're going to let it suffer. It is an odd relationship because the NFL really plays hardball with them but it is such a symbiotic relationship, they're forever bed partners and no one sleeps on the couch.

There is a major difference in the later owners that showed up when the team were valued in the billions, they have to be a lot more flush than Booger was when he paid 140M. They don't get approved without deep deep pockets.

We keep hoping the Jones will sell it but who would they sell a 5.7B team to? It's a short list of potential buyers unless it's a consortium and the NFL doesn't care much for that. They like guys like the one that just bought CAR, worth about 10B and not dependent on his team for sole income.

If there was a shortfall in the expenses of running the NFL, they would easily cover that and probably have some emergency fund set up for just such a rare occurrence.

What's funny to me are these statements of the worth of these owners, really? They're estimates because their tax records are private and Forbes is just guessing because that's their business.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The pandemic should have increased viewership, but other NFL agendas have effected it exactly the other way.

It is said that 15% of revenue comes from ticket sales, but it remains that digital streaming and tv viewership decreased 7 %.........the apologists may now feel free to spin this away
But the stream in the NFL's coffers didn't suffer from the TV/streaming decline.

One thing that is really interesting. Most of the predictions about TV viewership were wrong except two, NFlix and Disney. And many had NFlix wrong, they assumed the increased competition would eat into them and it was just the opposite and they increased the fees.

Most thought a homebound audience would watch more football and they actually watched less and is that a trend?

The choices we have to watch are exploding and the competition for our money and time is ever increasing, something has to give.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
But the stream in the NFL's coffers didn't suffer from the TV/streaming decline.

One thing that is really interesting. Most of the predictions about TV viewership were wrong except two, NFlix and Disney. And many had NFlix wrong, they assumed the increased competition would eat into them and it was just the opposite and they increased the fees.

Most thought a homebound audience would watch more football and they actually watched less and is that a trend?

The choices we have to watch are exploding and the competition for our money and time is ever increasing, something has to give.
It’s obvious what most watched as major cable news services were up like 200-300%. I’d provide the link but what’s attached with it might not be allowed.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Because the owners & league are just fine, that's my whole point. League revenue being down 25% after decades of exponential profit isn't a major concern. I'm not excited that revenue is down, however i am confused as to why i'm expected to start a Go Fund Me page for billionaires who lost millions. I'm sure Jerrys yacht cost him more than the 2020 season did. It's like being upset for the person making 50k a year getting hit with a $50 speeding ticket. It sucks, but move on.

What does any of this have to do with what I asked you? Who asked you to go do anything? But since you do bring it up, are you not doing exactly what it is you said you wouldn't do? Are you not ranting on behalf of the players who are all making considerably more then the 50K you mention above? So your picking and choosing then? It's OK to do it for the players, who are rich, just not the owners then?

Yeah, don't get it.