News: PFT: Randy Gregory ready to apply for reinstatement

phildadon86

Reaction score
Taking drugs from the very beginning is a choice. Tell me how many people choose to get a disease like cancer?
Yes it is a choice. If you are predisposed to addiction, tell me, how likely are you to make the right choice? If you are bi polar or a paranoid schizophrenic how likely are you to know what the right choice is? Mental illness and addiction go hand in hand. Are you of the mind that mental illness should be treated by locking people away in a dark room and forgetting about them? A lot of people on this board seem to be stuck in the 17th century with their opinions and ideas.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Taking drugs from the very beginning is a choice. Tell me how many people choose to get a disease like cancer?

Drinking Coca Cola and eating candy is a choice. So I guess diabetes isn’t a disease?

Smoking cigarettes is a choice. I guess lung cancer isn’t a disease?

Eating bacon is a choice. I guess heart disease isn’t a disease.

The disease isn’t the act of smoking or using a drug itself. The disease is the mental and physical changes someones body goes under due to drug usage. The disease is also the underlying mental and psychological issues that somebody has in the first place, that lead them to make the choice to use drugs, despite the risks that they pose to their well being.

Why is that concept so hard for some people
To grasp. It’s actually not that complicated on a conceptual level.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Yes it is a choice. If you are predisposed to addiction, tell me, how likely are you to make the right choice? If you are bi polar or a paranoid schizophrenic how likely are you to know what the right choice is? Mental illness and addiction go hand in hand. Are you of the mind that mental illness should be treated by locking people away in a dark room and forgetting about them? A lot of people on this board seem to be stuck in the 17th century with their opinions and ideas.
You assume a lot. If you don't like other opinions feel free to ignore. Whining isn't helping. Waaaa 17th century......

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have a few friends who are in deep with the Nebraska football program so take this with a grain of salt but I've heard that he's been working his tale off and is in the best shape of his life. Both mentally and physically. And for the peeps that think RG 'was' just a pot head who was doing it for recreational purposes, he has a 'disease' and this was the only thing that made him feel somewhat 'normal'. Since the ban, he found a doc who has fixed his medication and he is finally on the right path. Some assume people smoke pot just because but there are people out there who actually use it to balance their brain activity and stop whatever negative thoughts are running through their heads. I'm pulling for this kid as should all Cowboy fans.

Thanks for sharing your info.
:thumbup:

glimmerman

Reaction score
Drinking Coca Cola and eating candy is a choice. So I guess diabetes isn’t a disease?

Smoking cigarettes is a choice. I guess lung cancer isn’t a disease?

Eating bacon is a choice. I guess heart disease isn’t a disease.

The disease isn’t the act of smoking or using a drug itself. The disease is the mental and physical changes someones body goes under due to drug usage. The disease is also the underlying mental and psychological issues that somebody has in the first place, that lead them to make the choice to use drugs, despite the risks that they pose to their well being.

Why is that concept so hard for some people
To grasp. It’s actually not that complicated on a conceptual level.
Leave bacon out of this.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Every single year the team cuts players at the end that we have thread after thread about saying they will never make it to the practice squad. The team has 10 draft picks. I don’t expect them to draft 10 players but I bet they draft at least 8 and not all are going to make the team so yes I do believe it will come down to Gregory or a draft pick for him to make the team. My hope is that he is lights out and it’s a no brainer. If he is just okay, I have a feeling the draft pick may get the nod if he is a comparable player.

Well IMO you are putting too much emphasis that the 8 to 10 draft picks will make the roster. Not every pick will be that good or as good as Gregory even after being out for 2 years.

We had most of our draft picks make the team in the past because we were actually that depleted in talent, and Garrett wanted to revamp the roster. Get younger, get rid of the under performing over priced players. and he has done a great job at that for the most part. My issues with him are for another topic and thread.

Now it is at the point that we will be lucky to have 6 picks make the roster.
QB, set, WR, pretty much set, OL mostly set, maybe a draft pick makes it.
RB, a draft pick gets in. TE, set, as long as Witten is here, to draft a TE is stupid
DB's pretty well set, unless a few S's come into the mix. DE, pretty much set if Gregory looks good.
DT, we need a big run stuffer type.
LB's is what we need and I can see at least 2 drafted LB's making the team.
So not a lot of room for rookies to make it, even Gregory will need to prove he belongs, but you take him over a churn type rookie.

I understand your point on wanting all the rookies to make it. But I, myself see it as Gregory over that 6th or 7th round pick.

So from here on out, I won't even think about it. He needs to apply for reinstatement first. Then we will see what the team says and does.
My belief is their heads will spin so fast on what Stephen said and what they do. It will make Linda Blair seem like an angel from her head spin moves. :lmao:

phildadon86

Reaction score
You assume a lot. If you don't like other opinions feel free to ignore. Whining isn't helping. Waaaa 17th century......
My ignore list has grown exponentially today. Maybe if you read my above posts you understand why. Kind of a personal reason.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Addiction isnt a disease. I'm calling out your nonsense on this every single time.
Alcoholism was first recognized as an illness in 1956 by the American Medical Association (AMA), according to an article by the National Council of State Boards of Nursing. Addiction followed in 1987. Furthermore, drug addiction as a disease is recognized by the World Health Organization, the British Medical Association and most other reputable medical organizations globally. If that wasn't enough, most medical insurance providers allow coverage for treatment.

Some people think addiction cannot be a disease because it is caused by the individual’s choice to use drugs or alcohol. While the first use (or early stage use) may be by choice, once the brain has been changed by addiction, most experts believe that the person loses control of their behavior. Choice does not determine whether something is a disease. Heart disease, diabetes and some forms of cancer involve personal choices like diet, exercise, sun exposure, etc. A disease is what happens in the body as a result of those choices.

Sydla

Reaction score

Just because one has an opinion, doesn't mean you can't be wrong and sound foolish, right?

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score

So you think that they should give someone like you just described a multi million dollar contract to do a job filled with stress and requiring dedication to achieve?

Sydla

Reaction score
My ignore list has grown exponentially today. Maybe if you read my above posts you understand why. Kind of a personal reason.

Even if you hadn't gone through what you have gone through, the ignorance of some here is bizarre to me.

I can't tell if they think the way they do because they actually believe mental illnesses and addictions are bogus or that they simply don't like Gregory and at this point, don't want to give him any benefit of the doubt so just write off his potential addiction issues off bogus.

phildadon86

Reaction score
So you think that they should give someone like you just described a multi million dollar contract to do a job filled with stress and requiring dedication to achieve?
IF they are on the right medications yes. If not. Hell no. I would probably have a lot of outs in that contract if it were me handing it out. I would also have stipulations on seeing a therapist or psychologist regularly.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Even if you hadn't gone through what you have gone through, the ignorance of some here is bizarre to me.

I can't tell if they think the way they do because they actually believe mental illnesses and addictions are bogus or that they simply don't like Gregory and at this point, don't want to give him any benefit of the doubt so just write off his potential addiction issues off bogus.
Judging by how some are talking. They actually believe what they are saying regardless of Gregory.

Sydla

Reaction score
I am neither a fan or a detractor of this guy but if he has stayed weed free for 2 years then that is pretty good.

And again, at this point, why not see what he can do and if he can come back. There is no downside here. If he is clean but sucks and doesn't have any football skill anymore, you cut him and you are in the exact same position you are now. If he fails a test and gets bounced. Again, you've lost nothing.

There is only upside here. What if he is clean, what if he has been working his butt off as someone said above and is ready to contribute?

It would be typical Dallas to ride with the guy up until now, cut him and then he actually is clean and goes on to produce for someone else. LOL.