News: PFT: Randy Gregory ready to apply for reinstatement

Sydla

Reaction score
Again, addiction is a medical condition for sure., but you contract diseases, you don't go out and willingly take stuff that will give them to you!. There is a huge distinction!

Then lung cancer caused by smoking cigarettes isn't a disease.

Getting AIDS through unprotected sex isn't a disease, as well.

DHCBF66

Reaction score
There really is no negative here for Dallas.

Another failed test, oh well, he hasn't been around anyway.

He just can't make an impact (even as depth), oh well, he hasn't been around anyway.

BUT, if he's serious, if he's clean, if he can provide depth, it's a positive b/c he is still relatively cheap.

AND if he does finally get his head & body together, he'd be a RFA after this year, so there could be value.
No he wont. He was suspended and therefor his contract is put on a "delay", we have him for 2 more years.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
the team has said that they are going to go with this year just like he is not going to be there personally I don't think you can trust him I smoked cigarettes for over thirty years then when I quit it was really really hard so I wish randy the best of luck maybe he will do something and maybe he wont it still was a bad pick in the second round

aikemirv

Reaction score
Then lung cancer caused by smoking cigarettes isn't a disease.

Getting AIDS through unprotected sex isn't a disease, as well.

Poor choices have consequences. People get Cancer all kinds of different ways. Smoking is definitely one of them. People can get Aids in other ways as well, not just from unprotected sex, even though that is the main reason for the spread of the disease.So Cancer and Aids are diseases all on their own. Addiction is a mental and physical condition that was directly cause by the original choice you made. Again, Cop-out for a poor choice to make people feel better.....

Sydla

Reaction score
Poor choices have consequences. People get Cancer all kinds of different ways. Smoking is definitely one of them. People can get Aids in other ways as well, not just from unprotected sex, even though that is the main reason for the spread of the disease.So Cancer and Aids are diseases all on their own. Addiction is a mental and physical condition that was directly cause by the original choice you made. Again, Cop-out for a poor choice to make people feel better.....

Smoking is a poor choice. It causes cancer. If you get lung cancer from smoking, using your logic, that can't be a disease. If you get HIV from someone who has it because you had unprotected sex with that person, then using your logic, that can't be a disease.

Because it would be the result of a "poor choice" and nothing more than a cop out.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
My ignore list has grown exponentially today. Maybe if you read my above posts you understand why. Kind of a personal reason.
No reason to take anything personal some goons on the internet say. That's just my opinion. But I get what you're saying.

phildadon86

Reaction score
No reason to take anything personal some goons on the internet say. That's just my opinion. But I get what you're saying.
This is a personal thing for me. And maybe I am more sensitive with this particular situation as opposed to some others.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Smoking is a poor choice. It causes cancer. If you get lung cancer from smoking, using your logic, that can't be a disease. If you get HIV from someone who has it because you had unprotected sex with that person, then using your logic, that can't be a disease.

Because it would be the result of a "poor choice" and nothing more than a cop out.

Distinction/Logic....

Cirrhosis of the liver is a disease and yet alcohoics cant get a replacement liver if they are still drinking. So while my logic may not be up to your standards, there is a distinction made for poor choices. Somebody 40 years ago wanted to make addiction a "disease" to make people feel better about their poor choices. It was a start of the age of lack of personal responsibility. I think that classification does a disservice to those who actually contract diseases through no fault of their own. Lung cancer and Aids are diseases that could be contracted in other ways than poor choices, those with those conditions know the reason and don't need to medical field telling them it is a disease to make them feel better or help those around then understand the condition.

I get it, the medical field wants everyone to realize that addiction is a medical condition and once to that point is not necessarily a choice anymore, but a condition. That does not negate the distinction!

Proof

Reaction score
I do get where you are coming from and I am big on personal responsibility but I also think it is widely accepted that there are mental aspects and personality traits that make some people more susceptible than others to becoming addicted. Having said that, I think it is up to the individual to recognize their situation, to want help, and to seek it. If an individual is not doing that, then their situation is totally on them.

yeah no one wakes up and BAM i'm addicted. it doesn't reveal itself until you've done something to get addicted to. The 'self infliction' is partaking in the first place, but addiction is crippling for a lot of people. Disease becomes the focal point to argue against, and i get it to a certain extent, but it's certainly a condition. People are genetically predisposed, and it's just not that easy. i'm a fairly strong willed guy, and trying to quit smoking despite REALLY wanting to, being completely honest with myself with how disgusting it was, how expensive it was, how selfish it was, and actively wanting to, i ... couldn't for a long time. And when i did, it was brutal. it happens.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Distinction/Logic....

Cirrhosis of the liver is a disease and yet alcohoics cant get a replacement liver if they are still drinking. So while my logic may not be up to your standards, there is a distinction made for poor choices. Somebody 40 years ago wanted to make addiction a "disease" to make people feel better about their poor choices. It was a start of the age of lack of personal responsibility. I think that classification does a disservice to those who actually contract diseases through no fault of their own. Lung cancer and Aids are diseases that could be contracted in other ways than poor choices, those with those conditions know the reason and don't need to medical field telling them it is a disease to make them feel better or help those around then understand the condition.

I get it, the medical field wants everyone to realize that addiction is a medical condition and once to that point is not necessarily a choice anymore, but a condition. That does not negate the distinction!
Better put then what I attempted.

Gameover

Reaction score
We’re not going to come out with a win in this situation. We gave up a second round pick for him and he’s wasted the first three years of his career battling a drug addiction. To come out with a win he needed to prove all the doubters wrong the day we drafted him and that didn’t happen.
Don’t count the kid out

HungryLion

Reaction score
Distinction/Logic....

You’re the one that needs to learn distinction. You are being incredibly dense on this subject.

Nobody is saying that using drugs isn’t a poor
Choice. Nobody is saying that it isn’t somebody m’s responsibility to not make that choice in the first place. It has nothing to do with the fact that addiction is a disease.

The choice to initially use is not the disease. The changes it causes to your mind and body are the disease. It’s also why there are people who can drink or use drugs and NEVER become addicts themselves.

Just like you said where people can get lung cancer without smoking. Similarly. People can use drugs and not become addicted.

Again, the act of using a substance isn’t the aspect that is the disease.

Again, stop being so dense. It really isn’t that hard to understand if you open your mind to it and stop going on about “personal responsibility” nonsense.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Counted him out a long time ago.
I think I remember him saying he was taking things serious and he could be trusted. Something along the lines of his college troubles. I'm not sure what is left to believe in, really.

And what the hell is his exact issue, addiction or whatever he's having issues with. Weed?

phildadon86

Reaction score
Distinction/Logic....

To make people feel better about their poor choices? wow. So because I am a recovering addict, you are telling me all the rehab and all of the steps I took to get better were only available because people decided to make me feel better about my poor choices? Listen here. I have seen brain scans of addicts, I have seen many MRI's on addicts when high and when not high and before using in the first place. Some people don't have the gene that causes them to be prone to addiction. People. (like myself) Have a predisposition to it, and while making my choice to use in the first place is what triggered me into a 15 year battle, I had no idea about this predisposition until I partook. So please. Spare me your crap. You have no idea what you are talking about. Someone who uses and has that predisposition sets off a certain area of the brain, and after this the only way to affect that area is to use again. Reconfiguring your mind takes a long time and a lot of hard work, just like anything that is worthwhile. Stop with your judgments. This is the reason so many people don't go for help when they need it. People like you who refuse to understand how hard being addicted to anything really is. I am really happy though that you just actually had the audacity to say calling addiction a disease was only used to make people feel better about their poor choices. You have won the most ignorant person on the zone today award.

phildadon86

Reaction score
I think I remember him saying he was taking things serious and he could be trusted. Something along the lines of his college troubles. I'm not sure what is left to believe in, really.

And what the hell is his exact issue, addiction or whatever he's having issues with. Weed?
Bi-polar and anxiety disorder. If he is on the right medication he will be fine as long as he keeps up with his visits to his physician and mental health professional. I am not a doctor but without my meetings and all of the other things ive done, I wouldn't have kicked my habits. So I am hoping this works out for him. That's why I never understood forcing him away from the team.