News: PFT: Report: Jason Garrett has been campaigning to remain the Cowboys coach

nobody

Reaction score
It is not the ownership position that Jerry fails with. It is the GM position and the combination of owner-GM has been a circus since Jimmy left. Jimmy is a super smart man and he knew that this way of running things could not produce decent teams year after year. Jerry has been a great owner. I don’t have to list his long line of accomplishments, but being the best owner in the NFL does not stroke the part of Jerry’s ego that needs to be fulfilled. Jerry wants to be a legitimate “football guy” so bad , but his ego and lack of understanding what it takes to field a top team every year has killed this organization.

No, he hasn't been a great owner. He's been a good to very good one. Why? Because he will not hire a competent GM. No owner can be great if they won't hire the right people who can make the team successful on the field. Do fans care about the Cowboys revenue or value? No, they care about winning and continued success. Jerry as GM has been detrimental to that...so..from a fan perspective he absolutely can't be a "great" owner.

Wolfpack

Reaction score
This should have been handled firmly, swiftly and with class. If Jerry was going to fire him, he should have met with Garrett Monday morning and let him go. Jerry also should have requested that he pack his stuff and leave quickly to avoid this circus that they now have on their hands. It may be unpleasant, but they are adults and professionals. This situation looks like it is being handled by high school kids.
Jerry has the emotional intelligence of a 13 year old so that seems to match up.

coult44

Reaction score
Of course JGeezy was begging for his job. What else was he going to do? He wasn’t going to go quietly. He’s had multiple 8-8 seasons and In his mind, if the players would’ve executed better he would not be in this position. He will never admit to failure, he will just
hem-haw around the real reasons why. He is stuck in 1993 and refused to grow and evolve like all of the successful franchises did.

JayFord

Reaction score
Is this still a thing?

Again i hope this report isnt true I couldn’t play for a coach who wouldn’t leave the complex and was pandering for his job like its election time

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Glazer just repeated it on Fox, so....

But yeah, Jason is a little confused. Blaming others and campaigning behind the scenes has worked for him for 13 years now. He doesn't understand why it suddenly ended.

Verdict

Reaction score
You amaze me.
Keeping JG around in what capacity?
GM? HAH! No.
OC?
No.
Scout? Lol...

Something in player acquisition?
McClay might bounce.

So where?

Im not suggesting I WANT him to stay. I am suggesting Jerry may keep him around. There is a difference Bro.

Verdict

Reaction score
I would agree but there are some media people who have been 100% he’s gone without waiver..like a right source...and I’m not sure why you’d interview people. It is very bizarre but I think the backlash would be worse if they said they were keeping him now. I mean both Stephen snd Jerry said they needed a next step

Jerry has a reason for not publicly stating Garrett will not return as the head coach. I am NOT sure what the reason is. But that’s odd for a guy who talks about anything and everything. There is some sort of smoke here.

Verdict

Reaction score
You’ll see.

You act as if I am campaigning for him to stay. I’m not. I’m just saying Jerry is the guy making the call and he has been silent on the issue.

I think McCarthy and Lewis may be interviewing for coordinator positions.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It will be a huge sigh of relief when it is reported that Garrett is set to interview with another team. Until then, I won’t rest easy.........I do not trust Jerry!

Verdict

Reaction score
Okay. Whatever.

Here are the facts as I see them:

1. Garrett probably can’t get us over the hump but we can do worse.
2. Jerry loves Garrett like a son.
3. Jerry wants to keep Garrett as HC, but knows the fans are in open rebellion over that possibility.
4. Garrett hasn’t interviewed ANYWHERE else which is odd if he is losing his job. I don’t think Jerry would block him from getting a job elsewhere if he’s not staying in some capacity for the Cowboys.
5. Garrett is reportedly still doing his coaching job as usual which is odd for a guy who knows he has been fired.
6. Two people have been brought in to interview. Lewis is NOT head coaching material. So either that’s a Rooney Rule interview or they are bring him in to interview for the DC job. McCarthy is an offensive mind. he could be being interviewed as HC but he could be being interviewed as an OC candidate.

7. I think Jerry would move on from Garrrett if the Hoodie became available and he actually may be available. We will see.

8. The fact that Garrett is being a good trooper, hanging around and is helpful (and not looking for another job) leads me to believe Garrett will be involved with the Cowboys next year. It may not be as head coach, but I don’t think anyone can rule that out.

9. For the record I would rather have an upgrade over Garrett as HC but that’s not a large pool as Garrett is better than average and not everyone can deal with Jerry. That’s reality.

Verdict

Reaction score
It will be a huge sigh of relief when it is reported that Garrett is set to interview with another team. Until then, I won’t rest easy.........I do not trust Jerry!

So many posters here want him to be gone so badly they have lost their objectivity. It’s similar to the Dez situation.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score

3. Jerry wants to keep Garrett as HC, but knows the fans are in open rebellion over that possibility.
4. Garrett hasn’t interviewed ANYWHERE else which is odd if he is losing his job. I don’t think Jerry would block him from getting a job elsewhere if he’s not staying in some capacity for the Cowboys.
5. Garrett is reportedly still doing his coaching job as usual which is odd for a guy who knows he has been fired.
6. Two people have been brought in to interview. Lewis is NOT head coaching material. So either that’s a Rooney Rule interview or they are bring him in to interview for the DC job. McCarthy is an offensive mind. he could be being interviewed as HC but he could be being interviewed as an OC candidate.

7. I think Jerry would move on from Garrrett if the Hoodie became available and he actually may be available. We will see.

8. The fact that Garrett is being a good trooper, hanging around and is helpful (and not looking for another job) leads me to believe Garrett will be involved with the Cowboys next year. It may not be as head coach, but I don’t think anyone can rule that out.

9. For the record I would rather have an upgrade over Garrett as HC but that’s not a large pool as Garrett is better than average and not everyone can deal with Jerry. That’s reality.
I said okay.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Report: Jason Garrett "has been campaigning" to remain the Cowboys coach

gettyimages-1195735706-e1578152768772.jpg

So what has been going on during the "run out the clock" meetings between the Cowboys and coach Jason Garrett? From Garrett's perspective, the goal is to keep his job. Ed Werder o...

Read Full Story

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Jerry has a reason for not publicly stating Garrett will not return as the head coach. I am NOT sure what the reason is. But that’s odd for a guy who talks about anything and everything. There is some sort of smoke here.
Isn't that the truth. Until I hear it from Jerry's lips that Garrett will no longer be the HC, it's ALL fake news. Let's see what happens January 14th. Jerry can't prolong the inevitable too much longer.
3l98x4.jpg

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Glazer just repeated it on Fox, so....

But yeah, Jason is a little confused. Blaming others and campaigning behind the scenes has worked for him for 13 years now. He doesn't understand why it suddenly ended.

Did Glazer report he's still campaigning to keep his job?
:huh:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Yours perhaps. You were lost at #1 on this list.