News: PFT: Sean Lee leaning toward playing again

Sandyf

Reaction score
Lee will do what is best from a health point. Best guess is he comes back at a reduced salary. His salary for next year is $7 million and a cap hit of $10 mil. If he retires then it is a cap hit of $3 million but saving of $7 million. Could see him coming back at around $2 million so cap hit is $5 million for 2019 then become the LB coach in 2020.

conner01

Reaction score
If he wants to come back and play out they will let him. If he’s willing to be depth I have no problem with him playing out his last year as depth. Yes it’s expensive but it’s very good depth and a real mentor to the young players. Then I add him to the staff as LB coach and develope him as a coach
I know he still wants to play but my guess is he hangs it up

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
If he and Wilson both depart, our very deep LB corps is suddenly very thin.
I don't think anyone signs DWilson..... he will be a cheap re-sign....vet min type

LBs are a dime a dozen.... they are easy to find..... esp 4-3 backers

CCBoy

Reaction score
Shortly after the Cowboys lost to the Rams in the playoffs, there were questions about the status of Sean Lee. The veteran linebacker will be 33-years-old when next season begins and he has had his share of injuries over his time in the NFL. When an injury-prone player reaches that point in his career, he naturally has thoughts about what’s next. Given that he has now lost his starting job, there is added pressure about the future.

Lee has said that he wants to take some time to talk with his family and come to a conclusion about whether he wants to continue. After he said that, he also said that he is leaning toward coming back and he understands he’s no longer the starter.

But do the Cowboys want him back? Or more precisely, do the Cowboys want him back at his current contract with a base salary of $7 million and a $10 million cap hit in 2019? If Dallas released him it would be $3 million in dead money. With Leighton Vander Esch and Jaylon Smith eating up the bulk of the snaps, a $10 million cap hit is high.

Still, the Cowboys would like Lee to return according to Stephen Jones...

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...lee-back-but-will-he-return-and-at-what-price

CCBoy

Reaction score
If he wants to come back and play out they will let him. If he’s willing to be depth I have no problem with him playing out his last year as depth. Yes it’s expensive but it’s very good depth and a real mentor to the young players. Then I add him to the staff as LB coach and develope him as a coach
I know he still wants to play but my guess is he hangs it up

Jones went on to say that Lee was probably their best linebacker on the field in the Rams game. The Cowboys obviously love the leadership that Lee brings and he’s certainly been a mentor to both Vander Esch and Smith. As a backup, he would still have tremendous value, but probably not at his current contract.

Lee hinted that he knows he might be looking at a pay cut for a diminished role, and noted that if he did come back, he would not be coming back for money. So if Lee decides he wants to return, the Cowboys want him but they will likely be re-doing his contract to make it work.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...lee-back-but-will-he-return-and-at-what-price

conner01

Reaction score
Jones went on to say that Lee was probably their best linebacker on the field in the Rams game. The Cowboys obviously love the leadership that Lee brings and he’s certainly been a mentor to both Vander Esch and Smith. As a backup, he would still have tremendous value, but probably not at his current contract.

Lee hinted that he knows he might be looking at a pay cut for a diminished role, and noted that if he did come back, he would not be coming back for money. So if Lee decides he wants to return, the Cowboys want him but they will likely be re-doing his contract to make it work.

He could play the Wilson role for those few snaps and be there if there is an injury

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
He could play the Wilson role for those few snaps and be there if there is an injury
Lee is not big enough or sturdy enough for SAM

SAM takes on the run game head on and has to muscle up TEs

SLee is a WILL only and he may have lost a critical step

conner01

Reaction score
Lee is not big enough or sturdy enough for SAM

SAM takes on the run game head on and has to muscle up TEs

SLee is a WILL only and he may have lost a critical step
SAM plays 10-12 snaps a game
I think he could handle that