News: PFT: Should the Cowboys have let Dak Prescott hit the open market?

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
I was against Dak or any other Dallas QB getting that big contract due to the team still not in position to be a SB contender yet. But its done, and might as well accept it and move on. i can't understand though, why these posts on what should they have done are still going on. First were the countless topics on whether they should....and now after the fact on should they have. It just never ends. Next once the season starts, i am sure it will be is Dak worth his contract. He will have a big X on his back, that's for sure.

Agreed. It's clear the Cowboys believe Dak is the guy and the goal now is to build a team around him. The way the defense played last year I think the record would have been the same whether we had Dak or not; so it's clear where the problem lies. But whenever the first loss occurs, we all know who will get the blame now.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
This is correct, but there is really no scenario where I see team independently & all at the same time deciding that they will begin to limit QB contracts.

Potentially, we could see it if one team makes a public stance, but then other teams would need to follow in turn and I do not see that happening.
NFL Owners already collude in order to limit salaries. It's called the salary cap lol.

But yea you're not going to get 32 owners to, effectively, lowball every quarterback.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
OK, I like this a lot better.

Ok, I must have been thrown off by your use of pluralities when you stated :

"How many teams have come out ahead in the QB negotiations Wars? Perhaps the answer is that teams need to stop doing business the way they have been in recent years. It's clearly not working in terms of managing QB salaries"

Seems contrary to the following:

I am not concerned with other teams and what they do. In fact, I hope every single one of them overpay their QBs and do all kinds of stupid stuff with their caps.

The first statement is an observation and it's a fairly accurate one, do you agree? The second statement is a statement on my own personal position because it's specifically dealing with the Cowboys and that's my team.

Also, the copy cat comment was well after the initial comment and I addressed that independently by saying "...the way more likely scenario is that team that tries this stance will simply lose their QB to another team who is willing to pay."
"I never said that it was me desire to have every team do this. I said that it's a copy cat league and that teams copy what works. See, this is the problem. Do you not get that? You read stuff into things and then you open your mouth. Why?"

Really, though, you seem to have taken a personal affront to my comment that made you defensive. I typically do not engage in this kind of back-and-forth and perhaps should not have. If you are really bent out of shape in your assertion that I have said you support collusion or whatever your grievance, lets call it a misunderstanding to end this particular debate that is really going nowhere. I'm not getting any pleasure out of it.

Every QB situation is unique so a general statement, such as the one you made above, "...the way more likely scenario is that team that tries this stance will simply lose their QB to another team who is willing to pay." does not necessarily apply to Dak and the Cowboys. You see, there is no downside to tagging him with the nonexclusive option. If a team offers, then the Cowboys had the option to match and that settles the question of "market value". If the team decides to take the picks and save the cap, then you know that the team didn't see the value in it but honestly, no team was going to offer a 160 mil over 4 years in 2019 with the most up front guaranteed money and give up 2 1sts for Dak. I'm going to say that this is my opinion but seriously, do you see any team in 2019 doing that? If so, tell me who you think that might have been. I've heard talk of the Skins but think back now, they didn't sign Foles for 24 mil over three years when they had the opportunity in FA and instead, elected to go with what they had. Remember, they had just drafted Haskins so I'm not real sure that there was a market there.

If you read through this thread, you will see that I mentioned that it's a copy cat league. In fact, I believe that I mention this in one of the very first posts on this topic. So I'm not sure where the idea that it came out much later, if that's material, came from. It is of no consequence really. Here's the thing, it's not the fact that you say I take it personally over the language of collusion. I don't like that you know me and yet, you try to paint me and you know I hate this Denim. I don't even like it when it's done to other people and I'd bet money right now that I've defended you when people have tried to do that to you, over the years. I do not like that. I think it's the worst possible way to interact on a message board. I don't take this personal from you. I've know you too long. But honestly, you have to know this about me right? Maybe I just credit myself overly in thinking that you would understand this about me, IDK.

blueblood70

Reaction score
no one knows the truth of his true market value but im sure Jerry doesnt need media or fans help in actually assessing that before he paid out the most money hes ever paid to player..he had more then 2 offseason to gather information. The Jonses are not stupid with their money they have an army of lawyers and capologist that trump anyone's knowledge in the fan or media base..seriously who do you people think you are?

they do actually have inside info on such things

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Yes! You non exclusive tag him to see what other teams offer. Not having any bids from opposition was a dumb move by management. You don't let his agent set the price. You let the league set his price. I guarantee you, we could have signed him for less.
Some team would've offered him $42 mil per year. See? I can throw stuff out there just like you.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Hey Reality

heres some reality its too late to wonder but the Jonses do not need help assessing what to play players, they have inside knowledge and while they may have made poor choice to pay dak that much, they didnt pay much more then just one team other then them may have. Only takes one..

I would have put the NETAG on him but im sure they weighed those options..

heck the bears as desperate as they seemed for QB this off season might have given dak 42-43 easy..plus 2 firsts..they offered more for Watson, Wilson and rogers..

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
How does the injury not matter!?

He still can't even run. I think anyone would consider that to be a concern objectively
Because it doesn't have any influence on future performance. It happened, it will heal, move on.

I'd be concerned if he wasn't running and it was August. It's March and he's working out. He'll be fine. You act like he's in a wheelchair.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
How do you prove what that is? Nobody was going to pay Dak the amount we did, especially having to give up draft picks. This is not a negotiation in a vacuum. That is leverage that could have been applied but was not. Instead, we are so concerned with what Dak and his agent think about what negotiation tactics are used. Well, I guarantee you, they weren't concerned about what tactics to use against the team.

This idea that it is collusion is ridiculous. Show any proof, at all, that this is what is happening because I'm betting any amount you want that you can't. That has nothing to do with anything and you know it. At least you should. So you go ahead and tell me, how does collusion fit with allowing a player and his agent to go out and negotiate a deal with another team, allowing each party to freely discuss said contract with every team in the League if there is interest. Exactly how does that fit a collusion narrative? I mean, are you listening to yourself right now? Collusion, OK, explain that to me in a none exclusive situation if you please.
smh!!! show proof of collusion!!!! it happens behind close doors, via phone calls, etc....or are you expecting them to post their conversations on this board for your amusement!?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
This was not a decision made to bring the team closer to a super bowl victory. This was a decision to appease the ‘Cult of Dak’ fans who would have revolted at not seeing their ‘hero’ out there. It was also to appease the players who like Dak.

That ridiculous contract had nothing to do with fielding a top team and everything to do with making money and appeasing fans and players.

People will buy tickets, watch the commercials that come with the game, and buy merchandise. Mission accomplished. If they win, fine. If not, no biggie. Still raking in the dough.
really. that's your stand..... that's your conclusion...the cult of Dak...you know it only exists on the board...and there is also an anti-Dak cult....so why didn't they appease that cult....

its not a ridiculous contract....going rate for a top 10 QB. and 22M hit this year, and next, with flexibility to redo contract in three years when cap is exploded...it was actually a very brilliant contract on both sides.

now, in regards to fielding a top team, we obviously can field a top offense (and have)...but defense needs lots of work and its not...let me repeat IT WILL NOT BE FIXED VIA FA..... 10-12 M (given Dalton got 10M, I assume you would spend that much on a QB) is not enough to build a defense in FA. you may get a valuable, young mid level player for that much if that......we haver to draft better defensively....if we can't do that...mahomes couldn't help this team....

MarcusRock

Reaction score
The best thing about recycled butthurt is ...... having the situation turn out the way you wanted and then watching the recycled butthurt all over again. Lol.

Swagger

Reaction score
Because it doesn't have any influence on future performance. It happened, it will heal, move on.

I'd be concerned if he wasn't running and it was August. It's March and he's working out. He'll be fine. You act like he's in a wheelchair.
Well I wouldn't have paid over $125 million in guaranteed money to any QB recovering from this type of injury. Brady and Rodgers possibly exceptions to the rule as they are on a different level and worth the risk. But I'm not throwing the franchise under the bus for anyone else until I have seen them perform in competitive games. Rehab is great but what happens when a 20 stone man falls on his foot

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
you sound very bitter....

No, I thought it was a good chance to change direction. Missed that opportunity. Might have to wait a few more years. I just think we needed a big dose of change and paying top dollar for mediocre will not get us anywhere. Too many eggs in one average basket.

Hopefully, I am wrong. We shall see.

Section446

Reaction score
They absolutely should have, they would have found what many of us already know; everyone outside of Dallas doesn't think that highly of him.