News: PFT: Teams calling about trading for Cowboys O and DLinemen

armadillooutlaw

Reaction score
If you trade Collins, who's playing right tackle then and who's the swing tackle???......the one position on our offensive line that's a weakness is the tackle position's depth, Smith with his constant back problems, and all you have is Fleming as the swing tackle, I'd like to trade a defensive linemen for a quality offensive tackle..
Collins won't be back next year, so if the offer was high, I'd probably pull the trigger.
I know it would be a big risk, but things are pointing in the direction of Williams being the RT in 2020, so not necessarily the worst thing in the world to make it this year.
With Smith's back they probably need to be looking for another swing guy already, if there's not one in-house.

Blackthorn

Reaction score
Question for the forum:
Who would you be comfortable with the team trading from either the offensive or defensive lines?
I don't think I would want to trade any linemen. Dallas has plenty of question marks with health issues going into the season. Dallas is one injury away from being in trouble. Depth is a good problem to have. Taco and L Collins are more valuable to the team now than an unknown commodity.

Last edited:

erod

Reaction score
I wouldn’t this year....next year I’ll see what they’re offering I just can’t see trading anyone right now I don’t wanna go back to the days of one starter gets injured and we have to replace them with practice squad caliber guys

Look, you get 53 players. You've got to cut some of them. It's a good problem to have, but it's still a problem.

The key is, how many teams are calling.

If one team is calling, you're getting a 6th or 7th round pick.

If two teams are calling, you can probably pull a 4th or 5th.

If three or more are calling, you might pull a 2nd or 3rd rounder, or perhaps multiple 5th-round picks or something.

Give McClay all the ammo possible. The man knows what to do with them.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Question for the forum:

Who would you be comfortable with the team trading from either the offensive or defensive lines?

If McGovern had practice and showed well, I'd be comfortable getting something for Su'a-Filo or even Looney. But since we haven't seen McGovern, there's no way I'd trade either of them or Fleming. If we can get something for any reserves beyond them, I'm all for it.

On defense, I could live with trading Crawford because I think Hyder provides similar versatility with more pass rush ability. I'm iffy on the Taco trade idea, so it would depend on the price. I do think a combination of Hyder, Crawford and Armstrong could fill in in Quinn's absence instead of Charlton, but I like what Charlton has shown as the starter in these past couple or preseason games. I'd hate to give up early on a player who has a couple of years left on his rookie deal and have him turn out to be a late bloomer.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
Collins won't be back next year, so if the offer was high, I'd probably pull the trigger.
I know it would be a big risk, but things are pointing in the direction of Williams being the RT in 2020, so not necessarily the worst thing in the world to make it this year.
With Smith's back they probably need to be looking for another swing guy already, if there's not one in-house.

Good swing starting tackles don't grow on tree's and Williams hasn't played right tackle, he's still playing guard and the Cowboys will get a compensatory pick when Collins leaves next year anyway and this team is built to win this year, you don't trade away a starting right tackle hoping someone can fill the spot....Smith is probabaly going to miss games this year because of his back, we are thin at tackle, trading a starter away doesn't make a lot of sense to me!

erod

Reaction score
If you trade Collins, who's playing right tackle then and who's the swing tackle???......the one position on our offensive line that's a weakness is the tackle position's depth, Smith with his constant back problems, and all you have is Fleming as the swing tackle, I'd like to trade a defensive linemen for a quality offensive tackle..

Fleming remains the swing tackle. Williams moves over to RT. Looney starts at LG.

erod

Reaction score
Good swing starting tackles don't grow on tree's and Williams hasn't played right tackle, he's still playing guard and the Cowboys will get a compensatory pick when Collins leaves next year anyway and this team is built to win this year, you don't trade away a starting right tackle hoping someone can fill the spot....Smith is probabaly going to miss games this year because of his back, we are thin at tackle, trading a starter away doesn't make a lot of sense to me!

Williams was a tackle in college, and he's proving to be less than average at guard in the NFL. Doesn't have the low base strength, but has quick feet and could be much better at RT.

Looney is a better LG than Williams right now.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
Williams was a tackle in college, and he's proving to be less than average at guard in the NFL. Doesn't have the low base strength, but has quick feet and could be much better at RT.

Looney is a better LG than Williams right now.
And doesn't have the arm length to play tackle in the pros....And when he filled in late in the season for Martin, he was a lot better.....he's bigger and stronger today than last year and another year older ...

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If McGovern had practice and showed well, I'd be comfortable getting something for Su'a-Filo or even Looney. But since we haven't seen McGovern, there's no way I'd trade either of them or Fleming. If we can get something for any reserves beyond them, I'm all for it.

On defense, I could live with trading Crawford because I think Hyder provides similar versatility with more pass rush ability. I'm iffy on the Taco trade idea, so it would depend on the price. I do think a combination of Hyder, Crawford and Armstrong could fill in in Quinn's absence instead of Charlton, but I like what Charlton has shown as the starter in these past couple or preseason games. I'd hate to give up early on a player who has a couple of years left on his rookie deal and have him turn out to be a late bloomer.

Your thoughts echo my own.

erod

Reaction score
And how many snaps has Williams played at right tackle since he was drafted??????

Almost the same number of good snaps he's played at left guard.

Looney is MUCH better than him right now. I have no idea why Looney is backing up Williams. Looney is far better.

erod

Reaction score
And doesn't have the arm length to play tackle in the pros....And when he filled in late in the season for Martin, he was a lot better.....he's bigger and stronger today than last year and another year older ...

That strength means nothing. As Nate Newton says, you have to have a huge butt to anchor at guard. Upper body strength means almost nothing there. He'll get thrown around by Fletcher Cox just like he did against JJ Watt.

armadillooutlaw

Reaction score
Understandable, but what if you get an offer that knocks the roof off? Say, a 1st or 2nd round pick? Of course, nobody would mistake Collins for Larry Allen, but the market for starting caliber OL is dry and there might be a team or two that is willing to make you a crazy offer for him. Honestly, I'd be willing to risk that Williams would be a solid RT (pretty much what Collins already is), and if not, given the interior line depth, I might even try moving Martin to RT, or just plug in Fleming.
Don't forget Dallas probably has the deepest OL in the league.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
Almost the same number of good snaps he's played at left guard.

Looney is MUCH better than him right now. I have no idea why Looney is backing up Williams. Looney is far better.
Looney is here because of versatility, he plays center and guard and played numerous years, you're comparing a one year roolie player to a veteran??......Looney's verstility helps on game day when you dress 46....

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Are teams actually calling about Taco?
Hope so and I hope we trade him. The only reason he's producing now is because it's now or never for him. I can see keeping him for another year because of the guaranteed contract but after that, trade him.