News: PFT: Trevor Lawrence contract doesn't change things for Dak Prescott

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Here is a key line from the article everybody is forgetting about and will have a major impact on these negotiations.

"And if Dak leaves next year, the Cowboys will take another $54.465 million cap charge."

This is very important here guys, if Dak walks in free agency next year then Dallas has to eat almost $55 million on the 2025 cap. No proration, no june 1st, it all counts on 2025 cap.

That is literally one entire year of a market value contract ($55 million) that Dallas has to just eat. So, by signing Dak, Dallas is kinda saving one enitre year's worth of salary of his new deal.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Most people reference other contracts as the “leaves” Jerry is waiting around to fall.

Partially.

The big “leaf” to fall is Trey Lance. Can he play? If he can, then you can go younger, cheaper, with more upside at QB, sign your other superstars and not get taken to the cleaners twice by Prescott.

But if Trey can’t play— hard to see this FO not caving when they have done so with Zeke, D Law, Dak last time etc…
If Trey can play....i'm not sure how much cheaper he would be than Dak. He's up for contract too....probably in their best interest money wise to not see him play this year if he's really the real deal...but then again how would you know if you don't get to see him?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Better than Dak... Romo was never the highest paid. Both times Dak has come up for contract he's requesting highest paid each time.
Not sure I follow. Who or what is better than Dak?

I literally just posted that in 2008 it says he was the 3rd highest paid QB behind Carson Palmer and Peyton Manning.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Here is a key line from the article everybody is forgetting about and will have a major impact on these negotiations I think.

"And if Dak leaves next year, the Cowboys will take another $54.465 million cap charge."

This is very important here guys, if Dak walks in free agency next year then Dallas has to eat almost $55 million on the 2025 cap. No proration, no june 1st, it all counts on 2025 cap thanks to restructuring and void years. So, this is not just a discussion on letting a free agent walk, Dallas would be paying $55 million on their 2025 cap for Dak to play on another team.

That is literally one entire year of a market value contract ($55 million) that Dallas has to just eat. So, by signing Dak, Dallas is kinda saving one enitre year's worth of salary of his new deal.

This is a point I think that is very important, its not just a decision on to sign Dak or let him walk in free agency, you literally would be paying an entire year of a new deal ($55 million) anyways regardless of if you sign Dak or not. Seems to me this would incentivize the Cowboys to sign Dak knowing they have to basically pay the first year of a new deal regardless of if Dak is on the team or not.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Here is a key line from the article everybody is forgetting about and will have a major impact on these negotiations.

This is very important here guys, if Dak walks in free agency next year then Dallas has to eat almost $55 million on the 2025 cap. No proration, no june 1st, it all counts on 2025 cap.

LOL...........The sign Dak to ease the cap pain clause.\
Right.....................LOL
Here's another option: Don't throw GOOD money after BAD and bite the bullet and go find a real franchise QB.

ATXSRT

Reaction score
Not sure I follow. Who or what is better than Dak?

I literally just posted that in 2008 it says he was the 3rd highest paid QB behind Carson Palmer and Peyton Manning.
I'm saying at least Romo gave his team a little room. Never was the highest paid... Dak and his team have multiple times been asking for highest contract. The only QB in this league that deserves 55m+ a year is Mahomes. And everyone else isn't even in the same universe as him. Dak is worth 40-45m maybe. He should have the same deal Mayfield got.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Most people reference other contracts as the “leaves” Jerry is waiting around to fall.

Partially.

The big “leaf” to fall is Trey Lance. Can he play? If he can, then you can go younger, cheaper, with more upside at QB, sign your other superstars and not get taken to the cleaners twice by Prescott.

But if Trey can’t play— hard to see this FO not caving when they have done so with Zeke, D Law, Dak last time etc…
They already have a good idea if he can play or not. This preseason will make his Cowboy career one way or the other. Rooting for the youngster but not holding out much hope.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

That’s why I said it’s just a matter of time.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I'm saying at least Romo gave his team a little room. Never was the highest paid... Dak and his team have multiple times been asking for highest contract. The only QB in this league that deserves 55m+ a year is Mahomes. And everyone else isn't even in the same universe as him. Dak is worth 40-45m maybe. He should have the same deal Mayfield got.
I’m for players getting all they can. It’s up to the FO to manage it all. They’ve done a decent job of doing that. I think coaching, more than anything, has let down the Cowboys recently. From Kellen Moore’s predictable offense to Dan Quinns all about sacks defense and MM for wanting or allowing those hirings.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
LOL...........The sign Dak to ease the cap pain clause.\
Right.....................LOL
Here's another option: Don't throw GOOD money after BAD and bite the bullet and go find a real franchise QB.
That might very well be the option the Cowboys choose, you could be 100% correct my friend.

I still think a deal will get done, but I cannot say for a fact it will.

I guess we will find out soon enough.

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
Jerry won't get fooled twice by the same player.

You can burn him once on a bad contract.

For as flawed as he is everywhere, the one place he is pretty good at is not allowing a player to burn him twice.
Jerry is a liver spotted 98 year old invalid, whose Master Plan is a Trapper Keeper filled with notebook paper with crayon scribbles on it..... urinating in his own pants, and drooling vegetable soup over himself through his yellow dentures.....while his idiot son stares dimly at the wall, smiling, content as a 1 year old looking at shapes and colors, unbundled by a thinking mind,... ready to be bamboozled out of his family fortune as soon as daddy croaks, forced to live out the remainder of his days in a group home, while.....

Wait....I forgot what we were talking about.

welp, see you later!

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It doesn't make sense.
Unless they're planning to let him hit the open market.
Which IMO would be one of the best moves Jerry's ever made :thumbup: :thumbup::thumbup:.
Trade or sit Dak, your choice.

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
One of the reasons why this would be a good time for a rebuild. Get rid of the older guys for some draft picks and start over. We could eat the 55mil easy and use that time for evaluating some QB options (and draft one on 1st a couple of years in a row). But for that we would need to come in last in the division or at least somewhat behind.

That Dak deal was just horrible, in every way you look at it. When the NT clause was the porta potti flipping over, this is it landing on its door.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
One of the reasons why this would be a good time for a rebuild. Get rid of the older guys for some draft picks and start over. We could eat the 55mil easy and use that time for evaluating some QB options (and draft one on 1st a couple of years in a row). But for that we would need to come in last in the division or at least somewhat behind.

That Dak deal was just horrible, in every way you look at it. When the NT clause was the porta potti flipping over, this is it landing on its door.
Lol. Dak is very good. No way should the Cowboys let him walk after building him to MVP levels 8 years later. You resign Dak and save money to surround this team with weapons. Plus, there is no way the Cowboys will come in last (or close to it) in the division, so forget about drafting anywhere close to top 15 in the 1st or any round in 2025.

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
Lol. Dak is very good. No way should the Cowboys let him walk after building him to MVP levels 8 years later. You resign Dak and save money to surround this team with weapons. Plus, there is no way the Cowboys will come in last (or close to it) in the division, so forget about drafting anywhere close to top 15 in the 1st or any round in 2025.
Indeed. With Dak we'll continue to bring in meaningless 12 win seasons and wasting one draft year after another. But I'm not going in any more arguments about Dak with you, your opinion in that regard is absolutely worthless to me. Keep trolling all you want... if they sign him it'll be another 5 years of that here on the boards... yay for us and the forum culture.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Indeed. With Dak we'll continue to bring in meaningless 12 win seasons and wasting one draft year after another. But I'm not going in any more arguments about Dak with you, your opinion in that regard is absolutely worthless to me. Keep trolling all you want... if they sign him it'll be another 5 years of that here on the boards... yay for us and the forum culture.
Need a tissue? Are you going to be ok? Need a waaambulance called for you?